Should I have this much trouble with the Gauls/Germans with Caesar's Legions?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
EdmondDantes
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Should I have this much trouble with the Gauls/Germans with Caesar's Legions?

Post by EdmondDantes » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:05 am

I don't find them a pushover at all.

Is that how it's supposed to be?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks.

Latro
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Should I have this much trouble with the Gauls/Germans with Caesar's Legions?

Post by Latro » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:14 pm

Why do you think they should be a pushover?

Gaznak
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Should I have this much trouble with the Gauls/Germans with Caesar's Legions?

Post by Gaznak » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:03 pm

Assuming you are playing against the AI..

What works for me: I think its mostly a matter of balancing your ratios of legion quality. I would rather take 1 vet legion + 3 raw legions than 2 vet legions or 6 raw legions for example. Take enough superior and elite legions to cover the front spaces of your checkerboard, then fill the back of the board with average and raw legions or scutari. Let the AI make the initial engagements so they either lose and bounce off or you can easily reinforce if they stick in. If the AI has a superior warband on a flank your should make it a priority to try and distract it with cavalry. I played a quick match after seeing this topic to refresh my memory and was able to do this and took one of the AI's general warbands completely out of the fight chasing after my cavalry. Elephants can be handy as a support unit. Keep it in the back line and look for an opportunity to reinforce against a disrupted warband. Skirmishers should focus on killing the AI's cavalry, not on picking away at warbands.

pompeytheflatulent
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by pompeytheflatulent » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:06 pm

Have you tried playing as the Gauls vs the Romans and seeing how that feels balance wise?

Return to “Field of Glory II”