Automated Battle System and General Questions

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Zemke
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Automated Battle System and General Questions

Post by Zemke » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:19 pm

I just spent a long-time writing a "great post" only to find I had been logged out and my post was gone, which was really frustrating. Anyway, this is the short version because I am not sure how much time I have before I get "auto-logged off", if that is what happened, not sure.

First, I love the game (mostly). I have only played 3 games, all as Rome, and on my third game and the year is about 100 bc and I am a glorious Republic, so I have kind of got some of the decadence management systems down, (sort of).

The battle resolution system seems broke. If you let Empires do the battles, you will lose many battles you can win using Fields of Glory II. Not just closely matched battles, but ones wherein Empires shows you to have a marked Combat Power advantage, (like 2 or 3 to 1) and you still lose. I have also seen battles I played on Field of Glory II, wherein Empires I had a 2-1 advantage in combat power, and it seemed like it was a pretty tough battle in Field of Glory, even though I usually win, it seems harder than it should have been with a 2-1 advantage in combat power. {Of note, this may be because usually because I have fewer units, but higher quality, (Roman).}

Also, I HATE having to fight all these battles, it takes took long and I do not trust Empires auto-resolution system to give me the result I need or want, but this really slows the game down.

Next, there should be a way to try and avoid battles you know you will lose no matter what. Maybe a percentage chance based on the Army Commanders, terrain and relative opposing army sizes or something like that.

I have only played Rome and most of the above were when I was fighting a very long war with Macedonia.

General Questions (Because I am too lazy to do the research, sorry in advance and thanks to those who answer).
1. Does it matter that the same military buildings are getting built in the same province by different Regions?
2. I have not seen any war-weariness by Rome, (and I am in an almost constant state of war). Is this a Roman trait or a design flaw?
3. Ships seem fairly cheap to build and maintain. I would think they would be more expensive than they are.
4. Training / Leadership in the game, what if any can you do to help build better units and leaders?
5. More of a suggestion, maybe consider adding some kind of historical timeline of critical events that happened to your Nation as you play the game, like major battles (not all), important milestones reached, major wars or wars in general, how long they lasted, who was involved, battles and loses. This addition would add a lot of flavor and richness to the game IMO.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Zemke

markwatson360
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Automated Battle System and General Questions

Post by markwatson360 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:21 pm

This should be in the FOG empires forum, not FOG II.

Zemke

Re: Automated Battle System and General Questions

Post by Zemke » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:31 am

I just realized that sorry.

Return to “Field of Glory II”