Lancers and streams

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
pompeytheflatulent
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Lancers and streams

Post by pompeytheflatulent » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:42 pm

If a unit of lancers is standing in open terrain behind a stream, and gets charged by something standing in the stream, do the lancers keep their open terrain PoA?

melm
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Lancers and streams

Post by melm » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:32 pm

I don't think so. Lancers should have lost their lancer POA.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:04 pm

pompeytheflatulent wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:42 pm
If a unit of lancers is standing in open terrain behind a stream, and gets charged by something standing in the stream, do the lancers keep their open terrain PoA?
No. A combat does not count as "in open terrain" if either of the two units is in non-open terrain. (Manual 17.4) Even a small stream is non-open terrain. (Manual 17.1) Small streams are Non-Open. Large streams are Rough, Deep streams are Difficult, all count as Non-Open.

Note that this is equally relevant to Pikes, Heavy Chariots, Scythed Chariots and any mounted fighting light foot, bowmen or mob.
Richard Bodley Scott

pompeytheflatulent

Post by pompeytheflatulent » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:51 pm

So a unit of light spear cav charging across a small stream at lancers behind the stream would actually have PoA advantage on impact?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:10 pm

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:51 pm
So a unit of light spear cav charging across a small stream at lancers behind the stream would actually have PoA advantage on impact?
Yes, because their impact POA comes from throwing spears rather than a fierce lance charge.
Richard Bodley Scott

pompeytheflatulent

Post by pompeytheflatulent » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:12 am

Thanks, it would appear that I have been leaving my lancers and chariots in all sorts of bad places and somehow getting away with it through sheer luck.

nyczar
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by nyczar » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:26 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:04 pm
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:42 pm
No. A combat does not count as "in open terrain" if either of the two units is in non-open terrain. (Manual 17.4) Even a small stream is non-open terrain. (Manual 17.1) Small streams are Non-Open. Large streams are Rough, Deep streams are Difficult, all count as Non-Open.

Note that this is equally relevant to Pikes, Heavy Chariots, Scythed Chariots and any mounted fighting light foot, bowmen or mob.
Thank you for the clarification. I seem to have been playing under the assumption that it was like a med unit in rough attacking a heavy unit in the open. Or perhaps it is best described as my lazy thinking. That is, there is a difference between terrain that impacts a units order and those that impact a units allocated POA. Another reason why I scratch my my head in wonder at another 40-15 wallop when I play those that actually read and process everything.

Return to “Field of Glory II”