Graphics mem requirement...really 1gb

gabeeg
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Graphics mem requirement...really 1gb

Post by gabeeg » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:19 pm

I was about to purchase and saw the 1gb graphics men requirement...is that a known hard minimum? I have a laptop with discrete Radeon be mobility 5xxxx series with 512mb graphics ram....if I can't play it I am going to cry...and maybe throw a tantrum that my old gear is being discriminated against.

NOTE: See my post further down, turns out it plays just fine on my laptop with low-shadows and 2x anti-alias.
Last edited by gabeeg on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Graphics men requirement...really 1gb

Post by zakblood » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:28 am

How to get a DirectX Diagnostic file:

1. click on "START"
2. click "run"
3. type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments rather than pasted into the body of the post.

once the report has been made, just attach it to your post with first adding the file to a zip, which is then permitted to attach to the forum.

post a spec as i've tested it on some low powered laptops i own and will have a better idea tbh

gabeeg
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by gabeeg » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:49 am

I have attached the diag, thanks, hope you see something that allows you to think my 512mb graphic RAM will work
Attachments
DxDiag.zip
DxDiag for Harry aka gabeeg, hoping his 512mb radeon passes muster....
(9.35 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:51 am

here is one of my test laptops specs, while it worked, for me the game wasn't very playable as it was rather jerky and did at times take a while to move on larger maps

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/13/2017, 06:33:16
Machine name:
Machine Id:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook PC
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: n/a (no idea why it didn't put it in either) it's a dual core celeron T3000 @ 1.80GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3002MB RAM
Page File: 1431MB used, 2851MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Not Available
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.15063.0000 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device
Display Memory: 1565 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1501 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: LP156WH1-TLA3
Monitor Id: LGD01C2
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.973Hz)
Output Type: Internal

fresh install of windows 10, and installed on default for windows, game running on the lowest settings

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:07 am

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II N830 Triple-Core Processor (3 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series

Display Memory: 113 MB
Dedicated Memory: 499 MB
Shared Memory: 3709 MB

Driver Date/Size: 4/29/2013 for vga is old

same as for sound, old Date and Size: 12/5/2013

Drive: C:
Free Space: 818.7 GB plenty of free space

so next question is, do you use steam?

the reason why i ask is two fold, you system is under powered and once the drivers are upto date may work, but i say may as in i'd say it will run, but in a state on some maps to a point in maybe unplayable slow or sluggish on the video side of things, with the display not keeping up with the hardware requirements on the game, as there is no demo, only way to safely test your hardware is buy on steam, as steam allows a trial period of less than 2 hours played and no longer than 2 weeks from purchase you can get a refund from steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

here is the link and advice it offer, it normal takes about a week as mentioned in the link for a refund.

how to make it better?

my advice is, play on power eg mains and not off battery
set the laptop to use full power in settings, and turn off as many apps you have loaded each and every boot.
disable the screen save and any power saving apps and devices, any fancy app running that auto runs and does weather or any other junk, you don't need the resources drain etc

go in the bios as see if there's a way of adding in more video ram, some support it, others don't.

if you don't with to replace the hardware, eg laptop, upgrade it, if you can assign more ram in the bios, do it and then see how it plays, but as it will use system ram, that leaves the system with less, while atm that's not as issue, for some games it maybe.

good luck, and this is my personal opinion and not a official stance or statement from the developers or from site or the forum staff

here's the link to the developers comments on the same sort of subject

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 88&t=79643

gabeeg
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by gabeeg » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:58 am

Sadly that is the latest version of the radeon drivers/catalyst that supports the old switching graphics cards (could be configured to save power by running on built in low power radeon 4xxx shared mem chip instead of the 5xxx) after this driver they do not recognize the card properly. There is also no bios for setting shared mem on this laptop (shared mem on older systems like this was slow as snot anyway)

The sound is the codec done for HP by IDT (they since sold their codec products to someone else...and they do not release updated reference drivers) and that is the last compatible HP update (it was for a newer HP laptop with the same IDT feature set so it was compatible) but its the latest I could get to work. Not a big deal as I use old USB Sound Blaster if need decent audio.

...so I am stuck with what I have until I upgrade the laptop.

I am going to follow your advice and get it on steam and test it out. Thanks for the idea!

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:05 am

good luck and hope it works for you, but like i said you can refund it it doesn't, just make sure you don't go over the deadline before you ask for it etc.

in the end, you know sooner rather than later it's old tech and will need to be replaced.

Toby42
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Toby42 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:57 pm

zakblood_slith wrote:good luck and hope it works for you, but like i said you can refund it it doesn't, just make sure you don't go over the deadline before you ask for it etc.

in the end, you know sooner rather than later it's old tech and will need to be replaced.
I guess that I'll have to pass on this one too. I have new desktop but my graphics are integrated!
Tony

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Toby42 wrote:
zakblood_slith wrote:good luck and hope it works for you, but like i said you can refund it it doesn't, just make sure you don't go over the deadline before you ask for it etc.

I guess that I'll have to pass on this one too. I have new desktop but my graphics are integrated!
If you have a new system then the integrated card should run the game OK, with lower shadow etc settings. Again, you can try and refund with no risk via Steam.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:28 pm

pipfromslitherine wrote:
Toby42 wrote:

If you have a new system then the integrated card should run the game OK, with lower shadow etc settings. Again, you can try and refund with no risk via Steam.

Cheers

Pip
FWIW it runs OK on my PC which only has 512Mb graphics RAM - is an integrated one. Turned the shadows off and all seems OK even in a big battle.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:06 pm

nikgaukroger wrote:FWIW it runs OK on my PC which only has 512Mb graphics RAM - is an integrated one. Turned the shadows off and all seems OK even in a big battle.
Glad to hear that Nik, but perhaps you should stop spending all your hard-earned on plate armour and update your PC.
Richard Bodley Scott

gabeeg
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by gabeeg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:39 am

Wanted to post a my findings after purchasing FOG2, it seems to be working very well with 512mb discrete graphics card. Played a medium and and a bigger battle and with shadows on low and no anti-aliasing at 1600x900 and it was very playable. The only negatives I noticed were an occasional hesitation (very short) and at times the mouse would be unresponsive of a second, but this was not all that common. It played smooth enough that I went back into the config and have enabled 2x sample anti-aliasing and have not noticed any difference in performance. If you have a 512Mb graphics card and are wondering if it is playable, my specs are posted earlier in the thread if you want to compare. YMMV of course and mine is not an integrated card but a discrete AMD/ATI Radeon 5xxx Mobility card.

I thought it might even play better in window mode, but the window mode in this game is just plain weird as it is actually a window...in that you can see your desktop underneath...but it is not drag-able...a really odd and unfortunate design choice (unless its just on my machine for some reason).

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:01 am

glad to hear it, hope my advice helped now enjoy the game

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:20 am

rbodleyscott wrote:
nikgaukroger wrote:FWIW it runs OK on my PC which only has 512Mb graphics RAM - is an integrated one. Turned the shadows off and all seems OK even in a big battle.
Glad to hear that Nik, but perhaps you should stop spending all your hard-earned on plate armour and update your PC.

What a very strange idea :shock:
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:44 am

gabeeg wrote:I thought it might even play better in window mode, but the window mode in this game is just plain weird as it is actually a window...in that you can see your desktop underneath...
If you set the game resolution to your screen resolution, Windowed mode will look exactly like Full Screen mode, but will often perform better.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:44 am

rbodleyscott wrote:
gabeeg wrote:I thought it might even play better in window mode, but the window mode in this game is just plain weird as it is actually a window...in that you can see your desktop underneath...
If you set the game resolution to your screen resolution, Windowed mode will look exactly like Full Screen mode, but may perform better. (I have no idea why)
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tech Support”