Problems of units' moving animation and moving sounds

Dux Limitis
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Problems of units' moving animation and moving sounds

Post by Dux Limitis »

I found a problem or an interesting thing(?) these days after I bought the Dlc Wolves at the Gate.Some units' use the march moving animations,like skoutatoi,muslim spear men etc,and they're using the normal marching sounds(files MRI_MARCH_Av2 to Dv3 in the game's data),that's right.But,I found some units,like shieldwalls,varangian guardsmen,and some dismount cavalry(like frankish style armored lancers,huscarls),they're use the marching animations,but their's moving sounds are running(files MII_JOG_Av3.1 to Dv4 in the game's data).And there're not just new Dlc units got this problem,in the based game and other Dlc (like the Immortal Fire),many units have this problem too,like african spear men(and veteran),series of greek hoplites,thureophoroi,thorakitai,they do use the march animation but their's moving sounds is run.Could the game check it and fix(or adjust?)it in the future?Thanks in advance.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Problems of units' moving animation and moving sounds

Post by rbodleyscott »

The [March] and [Jog] animations are part of the animation set created by the animator, but are not directly used by any units. All units use the [Move] animation - for some units, mostly heavy spearmen and pikes, this is a clone of the [March] animation, for most it is a clone of the [Jog] animation. These have been chosen on a unit by unit basis to use whichever we deemed most appropriate for that unit type. Note that Jogging isn't running as such, but it is a faster cadence than a slow walk.
Richard Bodley Scott

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

rbodleyscott wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:00 pm The [March] and [Jog] animations are part of the animation set created by the animator, but are not directly used by any units. All units use the [Move] animation - for some units, mostly heavy spearmen and pikes, this is a clone of the [March] animation, for most it is a clone of the [Jog] animation. These have been chosen on a unit by unit basis to use whichever we deemed most appropriate for that unit type. Note that Jogging isn't running as such, but it is a faster cadence than a slow walk.
I think Dux was querying the sounds rather than the animations. He said some units play the march sound, but others have running sounds. I can't say I have noticed this myself, but I usually play with the sound quite low.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

rbodleyscott wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:00 pm The [March] and [Jog] animations are part of the animation set created by the animator, but are not directly used by any units. All units use the [Move] animation - for some units, mostly heavy spearmen and pikes, this is a clone of the [March] animation, for most it is a clone of the [Jog] animation. These have been chosen on a unit by unit basis to use whichever we deemed most appropriate for that unit type. Note that Jogging isn't running as such, but it is a faster cadence than a slow walk.
I means some units use the [march] animation but they do use the [jog] sounds now,not the [march] sounds they should use.
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

Paul59 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:36 pm
I think Dux was querying the sounds rather than the animations. He said some units play the march sound, but others have running sounds. I can't say I have noticed this myself, but I usually play with the sound quite low.
Infact Paul,the thing what I queried was some units did use the march animations but they play the running(jog) sounds when they move.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Dux Limitis wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:57 am
Infact Paul,the thing what I queried was some units did use the march animations but they play the running(jog) sounds when they move.
I see. I will look into it.
Richard Bodley Scott

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Yes, that is what I said you meant.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:33 am

I see. I will look into it.
Thanks,better check the shieldwall and greek hoplites first when you get start.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

On further examination we find that these mismatches are largely deliberate, to get what we felt was the right overall feeling for the unit. The march sounds sound too "regular" for some units, even though they use the March animation. Hence the jog sounds were used instead.

Note also that the units move at the same speed, whether they use march or jog animations, which is also a compromise.

It is not an exact science. We went for what we deemed to get to best overall "feel" for each unit type.

However, we will switch the sound for the Varangian Guard.
Richard Bodley Scott

Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:36 am On further examination we find that these mismatches are largely deliberate, to get what we felt was the right overall feeling for the unit. The march sounds sound too "regular" for some units, even though they use the March animation. Hence the jog sounds were used instead.

Note also that the units move at the same speed, whether they use march or jog animations, which is also a compromise.

It is not an exact science. We went for what we deemed to get to best overall "feel" for each unit type.

However, we will switch the sound for the Varangian Guard.
Maybe should also switch the sounds of hoplite,thureophoroi,and african spear men?They seems doesn't like always running when they move in history.Some how,in Anabasis the Xenophon did wirte the hoplites run,but that's because they're charging.And,thureophoroi and Carthaginian african spearmen's moving and fighting style are more like the hoplites,so I think also need to switch these units' moving sounds as march.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tech Support”