Squad file data

desicat
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Squad file data

Post by desicat »

Paul59 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:39 pm
desicat wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:40 am General - general's name index. -1 if no general with unit.

What does this do? Does it allow for a General to be assigned to a specific unit? If so how does one insert the General, by name or by IDS, ex; IDS_GENERAL7, "Naravas",?
Well I guess you insert the IDS_GENERAL number that you want from Text6.txt or Text7.txt. But to be honest I have never, ever, tried to allocate generals that way.

What happens if you have more than one of the same unit in a battle? Does each unit have the same general!? And what qualities will the general have?

It is far better to allocate generals to units using the Editor, see my Scenario creation guide on the subject:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 91&t=80611
I was thinking of how it could be used in a Campaign, if at all. You are correct that for a Scenario your guide is spot on.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

desicat wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:02 pm
desicat wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:40 am General - general's name index. -1 if no general with unit.

What does this do? Does it allow for a General to be assigned to a specific unit? If so how does one insert the General, by name or by IDS, ex; IDS_GENERAL7, "Naravas",?
Well I guess you insert the IDS_GENERAL number that you want from Text6.txt or Text7.txt. But to be honest I have never, ever, tried to allocate generals that way.

What happens if you have more than one of the same unit in a battle? Does each unit have the same general!? And what qualities will the general have?

It is far better to allocate generals to units using the Editor, see my Scenario creation guide on the subject:

I was thinking of how it could be used in a Campaign, if at all. You are correct that for a Scenario your guide is spot on.
For a Campaign you can select the CinCs by specifying them in the CUSTOMCAMPAIGN.TXT, but you don't have any control over which unit they are assigned to, or the names and capabilities of the Sub/Ally Generals.

I don't think the Squads.csv's General column is of much use in a Campaign. The only way I can see it working, is if you created your own armies in the ArmyList.txt, and allocate to them new General's units and give them a Min and Max value of 1. As long as the battle size was not too large, you should avoid having multiple units in a battle. Of course you would also have to create a new line in the Squads.csv for every unit with a General. I don't know how you would allocate capabilities (ie; Command Ability and Rank) to the named Generals though.

All that is of course subject to that Generals column in the Squads.csv working at all! As I said before, I have never used it, and I have never seen anyone else use it either.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
desicat

Post by desicat »

Paul59 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:57 pm
desicat wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:02 pm

For a Campaign you can select the CinCs by specifying them in the CUSTOMCAMPAIGN.TXT, but you don't have any control over which unit they are assigned to, or the names and capabilities of the Sub/Ally Generals.

I don't think the Squads.csv's General column is of much use in a Campaign. The only way I can see it working, is if you created your own armies in the ArmyList.txt, and allocate to them new General's units and give them a Min and Max value of 1. As long as the battle size was not too large, you should avoid having multiple units in a battle. Of course you would also have to create a new line in the Squads.csv for every unit with a General. I don't know how you would allocate capabilities (ie; Command Ability and Rank) to the named Generals though.

All that is of course subject to that Generals column in the Squads.csv working at all! As I said before, I have never used it, and I have never seen anyone else use it either.
That is exactly what I was thinking. I have a battle where the Gauls have Roman Allies, and the AI assigns the Gaulic General to a Roman unit. If I create an Army for the Gauls with a special unit, say a renamed Warband to be called "Crispix Guards", then I can assign the Gaulic CinC General Crispix to that unit - preventing him from being attached to a Roman unit.

If it works then problem solved, but I have no idea on what even to try on the CSV spreadsheet to try it out.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

desicat wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:06 pm
That is exactly what I was thinking. I have a battle where the Gauls have Roman Allies, and the AI assigns the Gaulic General to a Roman unit. If I create an Army for the Gauls with a special unit, say a renamed Warband to be called "Crispix Guards", then I can assign the Gaulic CinC General Crispix to that unit - preventing him from being attached to a Roman unit.

If it works then problem solved, but I have no idea on what even to try on the CSV spreadsheet to try it out.
I would put 10001 in Squads.csv column BH (General) for the Crispix Guard unit. That is one of the Gallic General names from Text6.txt, it is actually "Acaunos", but the name is unimportant.

Then in one of your campaign's text files put this line:

IDS_GENERAL10001,"Crispix",

Renaming Generals like that works in scenarios, it might work in Campaigns too.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

desicat

Post by desicat »

Paul59 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:05 pm

I would put 10001 in Squads.csv column BH (General) for the Crispix Guard unit. That is one of the Gallic General names from Text6.txt, it is actually "Acaunos", but the name is unimportant.

Thank you, I will give this a try.
desicat

Post by desicat »

desicat wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:12 pm
Paul59 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:05 pm

Thank you, I will give this a try.
It works, one can assign a Sub General but not the CinC. Even substituting the Text1 files for the CinC gets overridden and the General Assigned is named Sub General as the CinC name is already used. Interesting though.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

desicat wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:28 pm It works, one can assign a Sub General but not the CinC. Even substituting the Text1 files for the CinC gets overridden and the General Assigned is named Sub General as the CinC name is already used. Interesting though.
Are you still designating a CinC in the CUSTOMCAMPAIGN.TXT?

If you are, try deleting it and see what happens.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

desicat

Post by desicat »

Paul59 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:37 pm
desicat wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:28 pm It works, one can assign a Sub General but not the CinC. Even substituting the Text1 files for the CinC gets overridden and the General Assigned is named Sub General as the CinC name is already used. Interesting though.
Are you still designating a CinC in the CUSTOMCAMPAIGN.TXT?

If you are, try deleting it and see what happens.
No matter what I try the Sub General is assigned to the designated unit, but his name remains Sub General.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

desicat wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:31 am
No matter what I try the Sub General is assigned to the designated unit, but his name remains Sub General.
I have just designed a quick test campaign, and I must admit you have had more success than me, I could not get the Sub General to appear with the unit at all!

FOGII TT Mod Creator

desicat

Post by desicat »

Unless it is a fluke, I have managed to create a unit in a custom army and have a random sub general assigned to it every battle. I think any number other than -1 assigns a sub general from the correct army, just not the CinC. The unit was designed to be just an average Medium Foot that the AI would not normally give a SG to, has worked 5/5 times.
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

Is there a specific reason why
1. infantry is usually 480 men and 600 sized?
2. Pikes are at 960 men and warbands at midpoint (720) and sized accordingly (x1.25)?
3. cavalry at 240 men and sized 400?
The UnitSize parameter is 100 times the number of bases in a typical tabletop FOG unit of that type.

The TotalMen is the number of men in the unit. Based on a cohort for the standand infantry size, and other units pro-rata.
3. What is significant, #men or size, in combat routines?
UnitSize
4. Is there an issue if size of cavalry unit equal or greater than size of infantry?
The game code will only allow 400 UnitSize of Cavalry to fight. If you increase the size, the extra won't fight, but will replace losses.

If you want to increase (or reduce) all of the units in size by the same factor, you should change them using the "StrengthMultipler" universal variable in the scenario script, not by editing the TotalMen and/or UnitSize in the squads file.

Alternatively you could alter the TotalMen in the Squads File but leave the UnitSize alone.

I would strongly recommend against changing UnitSize outside the variations already found in the game. I cannot predict what effect it would have on gameplay.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Modding”