change the textures assigned to the models in the .s4f files

toska
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

change the textures assigned to the models in the .s4f files

Post by toska »

Does anyone know how to modify the textures that are assigned to the models in the s4f files? I'm talking only about the textures assigned to a model, not 3D modeling
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: change the textures assigned to the models in the .s4f files

Post by pipfromslitherine »

You can edit the file in a text editor, but you need to be very careful, ensuring that the replacement filename is exactly the same size. If you are talking about ingame, then you can use the editor to select texture sets from a specific unit type. Or of course you can just replace the existing texture file for a unit. Knowing what result you are trying to get would help us to give more focused advice.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
TimDee58
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by TimDee58 »

this topic interests me very much too......

can textures from one model be assigned to a different one?

what is the best free software to use to create new textures?

I'm thinking shield designs primarily, altho it would be cool to mess with helmet and shield types too.

also leading on from this, how also can we check a models animations without having to launch a game? Is there a description anywhere or is it possible to get a listing here (of some sort)

Thanks in advance

Tim
toska

Post by toska »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:49 pm You can edit the file in a text editor, but you need to be very careful, ensuring that the replacement filename is exactly the same size. If you are talking about ingame, then you can use the editor to select texture sets from a specific unit type. Or of course you can just replace the existing texture file for a unit. Knowing what result you are trying to get would help us to give more focused advice.

Cheers

Pip

thanks for answering. I'm talking about modifying outgame.

It still does not work even though I try not to put a longer name. when the game is broken I get this message: "Invalid Chunk Header on line 666 in <FromData> (0)". I've been using both the notebook and the wordpad
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

I have done it using Notepad++, but it might be better to use a binary file editor.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
toska

Post by toska »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:05 pm I have done it using Notepad++, but it might be better to use a binary file editor.

Cheers

Pip
it works whit Notepad++. thanks a lot :D
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

is anyone able to answer my question of 16th October in this thread please?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

TimDee58 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:06 amcan textures from one model be assigned to a different one?
No
what is the best free software to use to create new textures?
Can't really say which is the best. I use Paint.net.

For the alphas to work correctly you have to save the .DDS textures as DXT3 (explicit alpha) format.
also leading on from this, how also can we check a models animations without having to launch a game? Is there a description anywhere or is it possible to get a listing here (of some sort)
You can use the ARCHON tool, which I have put on DropBox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g2hxyd2l26af ... uT4qa?dl=0

toska wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:13 pm Does anyone know how to modify the textures that are assigned to the models in the s4f files? I'm talking only about the textures assigned to a model, not 3D modeling
You can do this using the ARCHON tool - see above.

However, the texture references in the .s4f file only affect the texture used in the Editor or in Editor-created scenarios without scripts (or with ReSkinArmy() disabled in the scenario script).

Random map battles (including campaign battles) find and assign the textures automatically, ignoring the references in the .s4f file. The textures have to be named to match the name of the model - as you will see in the vanilla game. The @ in some of the texture name tells the game that it needs to take note of the alpha - for horses reins, helmet plumes and suchlike. Not all of the models have parts that need to be alpha'd out, so not all textures have @ in the name - I am told they are more efficient without.

Scripted Editor-created scenarios will also assign textures automatically if they use a script based on SCENARIOTEMPLATE.BSF and the ReskinArmy() function calls have not been commented out.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II: Modding”