Another group of ideas for a mod . . .

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Another group of ideas for a mod . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:41 am

I am not able to mod, but following a recent discussion in the FOG2DL forum about the balance between luck and skill in the game I have come up with a few ideas to balance the game slightly differently . . .

i) I think that double cohesion drops are sometimes a big problem at the start of a battle. In the Themed Event this time, we have a Frankish war band theme and it is quite common for war band units to fragment on impact when the two battle lines come together. Then, when these fragmented units rout soon after all, the adjacent units have to take cohesion tests, and if they fail some of these then that army is in serious trouble. The battle can be lost when a player has not even made a mistake. The skill quotient is very low here. This shouldn't be happening at all, in my opinion. If you changed the game so that units over 75% strength could not suffer double-drops in cohesion in most 1 v 1 situations then you would remove this issue from the start of battles. Rear attacks, 2 v 1's or situations where superior units fought weaker units (e.g cataphracts v irregular foot, in the open) would still be able to achieve double-drops regardless of the numerical strength of the losing unit.

ii) I do not think there should be an automatic cohesion loss for flank attacks, although they should be retained for rear attacks which should always be devastating. Flank attacks should not be happening in the middle of a melee. Instead a greater reward would accrue to players who achieved 2 v 1 or 3 v 1 combats, a mechanism that is working very well in the game.

iii) I am not even sure how to explain my last idea in terms of computer programming. But imagine two players sitting at a table playing a game of TT FOG. Instead of rolling a die each time for combat or rallying etc, they would reach down into a bag that contained 60 discs (10 of them numbered 6, 10 of them numbered 5 and so on, all the way down to 10 of them numbered 1). When the score on the disc was fed into the game the disc would not be returned to the bag. So, if the player pulled out a 6, then there would only be nine 6's left in the bag and so the chance of getting another one for that player would be reduced a bit, and the other player would now have a slightly better chance than his opponent of getting the next 6. And so on. In this way the relative "luck element" between the two players would be moderated, but not removed altogether. Once a player had used 30 discs, the bag would be filled up again. I have been told it is possible to create something like this.

Anyone interested in these ideas?

Return to “Field of Glory II: Modding”