New FOGII (April 2018) Campaign Tournament (bbogensc)

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

Kabill
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: New FOGII (April 2018) Campaign Tournament (bbogensc)

Post by Kabill »

I've processed almost all the orders but apparently messed something up slightly from last turn and am awaiting a response before finalising so there's a chance to adjust for the thing I got wrong. Sorry about this - hopefully this will be the last of the teething trouble - and I will get things up as soon as possible.
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Campaign Turn 10 Battle List:

- Morbio (Syracuse 412BC) attacks Kabill (Spain 80BC) in Sicily (14) - 4v4 battle - attack defeated with no defending armies lost

- Ludendorf (Skythian 550BC) attacks Nosy_Rat (Dacia 89AD) in Dacia (22) - 4v4 battle - attack defeated with no defending armies lost

- Ludendorf (Skythia 300BC) attacks paulmcneil (Persia 419BC) in South Skythia - 4v4 battle - attack successful with no attacking armies lost

- Batesmotel (Rome 199BC) attacks Nosy_Rat (Dacia 89AD) in Dacia (23) - 4v4 battle - attack defeated with no defending armies lost

- nyczar (Rome 106) attacks Nosy_Rat (Macedonian 328BC) in Macedon (25) - 5v4 battle - attack defeated with no defending armies lost

- nyczar (Rome 106BC) attacks Nosy_Rat (Dacia 89AD) in Greece (26) - 5x4 battle - attack defeated with no defending armies lost

- Cunningcairn (Ptolemeic 320BC) attacks gamercb (Antigonid 320BC) in Slave Revolt (35) - 4v3 battle

- Nosy_Rat (Dacia 89AD) attacks paulmcneil (Persia 419BC) in Seleucid (38) - 4v5 battle - attack successful with attacker losing one army

- Kabill (Spain 80BC) attacks Cunningcairn (Ptolemaic ***) in Ptolemy (50) - 4v3 battle - attack successful with no attacking armies lost

- Kabill (Spain 80BC) attacks Carthage played as Batesmotel (Hannibal in Africa) in Numidia (51) - 4v1 battle

Battle deadline: 6pm (GMT) on Monday 30th July
Last edited by Kabill on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
Nosy_Rat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Nosy_Rat »

Wow, that's a lot of people wanting poor Dacians dead.
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio »

Nosy_Rat wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:50 am Wow, that's a lot of people wanting poor Dacians dead.
... and, for a change, Syracuse is not one of them! :)
Nosy_Rat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Nosy_Rat »

Nosy_Rat (Dacians) defeats Ludendorf (Skythians) 42-16. Final casualties 48-17.
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Spanish troops repel the Syracusian counter-attack on their island home, 19-44, suffering 14% casualities and therefore retaining all armies.
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ludendorf »

Ludendorf (Skythians/Saka 300-50BC) defeats paulmcneil (419BC) 22-50%. 12% casualties for the attacker. South Skythia falls.

Massive cavalry fight here. Thanks to my opponent for the interesting game. I haven't conducted cavalry battles on a scale like that before.
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Can I get an update on ongoing battles? Given the number of outstanding results it might make sense to extend the deadline (I also have a new computer arriving today so there may be some downtime while I get things set up and transferred anyway).
nyczar
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by nyczar »

Nyczar’s last fight with Nosy_rat is heading for a draw. One or two turns
Nosy_Rat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Nosy_Rat »

Nosy_Rat (Dacia) beats nyczar (Rome) 43-16 in Greece. 47-9 final casualties.

There's only a couple of turns left in the second battle with nyczar, so I'll post the result soon.

Battles against batesmotel and paulmcneil will also, probably, conclude later today. Sorry for the delay :(
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Nosy_Rat wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:01 pmBattles against batesmotel and paulmcneil will also, probably, conclude later today. Sorry for the delay :(
Don't worry about it - I'm behind as well and you've had loads of games to play this turn (and done ok with them too by the looks of things!).
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

The Spanish attack on Egypt is successful, Ptolemaic forces being defeated 13-41 with no attacking armies lost.
Nosy_Rat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Nosy_Rat »

Nosy_Rat (Dacians) beats paulmcneil (Persians) 60-47. Casualties 55-24.
Nosy_Rat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Nosy_Rat »

Second battle against nyczar is also concluded - Dacia wins 48-15 (50-9 casualties). Only battle with batesmotel left, but I'm winning it this turn, unless Romans get some rallies. I'll post the results as soon as I get them.

So if it's the only game left you could probably start processing the turn.

EDIT: It's over now. A win for Dacia 41-10 (49-9 casualties).
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Oops, only just saw the edit. Thanks.

Two games left now - my attack on Carthage and Cunningcairn's attack on gamercb. I'm PMing them both to find out how that game is going; I will likely upload the new turn map tomorrow. Sorry for the delay on this - have been transferring stuff over to my new machine. Given 10 says still doesn't seem enough time to get games finished at the moment, I think I'm going to adjust up to 12 days for a 2 week turnaround time on turns (including the order phase) unless there are any major objections. We can obviously press on sooner if games are concluded before then.
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

Kabill wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm Oops, only just saw the edit. Thanks.

Two games left now - my attack on Carthage and Cunningcairn's attack on gamercb. I'm PMing them both to find out how that game is going; I will likely upload the new turn map tomorrow. Sorry for the delay on this - have been transferring stuff over to my new machine. Given 10 says still doesn't seem enough time to get games finished at the moment, I think I'm going to adjust up to 12 days for a 2 week turnaround time on turns (including the order phase) unless there are any major objections. We can obviously press on sooner if games are concluded before then.
Our game will definitely be a draw. I'm prolonging it by trying to attack across a river. I will withdraw from battle in the next turn.
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Ok, we'll take that battle as a draw, given that is what gamercb is playing for in that battle anyway. As the attacking force outnumbers the defending force, the defenders lose all armies but hold the territory, while the attackers lose one army for each opposing defending army and the remainder (1 army) returns to 34 where it attacked from.

With that, there's just my battle for Carthage to go. It is almost over and it looks like I should win, so I am posting the new turn under that assumption. I will update if for some reason that changes.

So...

Turn 11:
Campaign Map Turn 11.jpg
Campaign Map Turn 11.jpg (273.21 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
Orders should be submitted by 9am GMT on Sunday 5th August (a bit longer than usual but I'm not realistically going to be able to process the turn a Saturday evening).

EDIT: Map updated as I missed moving some of Ludendorfs giant army into Northern Skythia.
EDIT 2: Confirming that my attack on 50 has ended in success.
Last edited by Kabill on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
nyczar

Post by nyczar »

Thanks for the color coding enhancement.
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

nyczar wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:58 am Thanks for the color coding enhancement.
Glad if that's useful. I'm not entirely sure I'm sold on it - some of the numbers are harder to read - but I do also like to have a clear idea of who has what and where.

To all: please note that I have updated the map with two additional Roman armies in 21 and East Med. These were part of five-army attacking forces last turn and I'd missed the rule indicating that a failed attack caps out at a maximum of four lost armies, so the two I've added are armies which retreated after those attacks were lost.
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Minor Update: I should have flagged this before but, for clarity's sake, province 36 is currently under Antigonid rule (i.e. gamercb still has control) but as per the rules for a draw, had all armies destroyed last turn.

Related, on the drawing rules, I'm wondering if the rules aren't somewhat harsh for outnumbered defenders. The rule currently is as follows:

* If 1x2 (or higher where Attacker outnumbers Defender) battle DRAWS (with neither side acheiving 60% casualties), Defend loses ALL of its defending armies. Attacker loses only the same number of armies as the Defender, and the remainder return to originating province. Defender holds the province.

This always results in an outnumbered defender losing all armies if they draw, which is almost as bad as losing the battle. They do also take some of the attacker's armies with them, but the attacker will be in a better position to attack again, and probably at better odds (since the points ratio for a 2v1 battle is more extreme than e.g. 4v2). The implication being that the main situation where someone might play for a draw (against a superior attacking force) doesn't really give much if any benefit.

I'm wondering, then, whether there's any support for changing it to be a bit more useful, e.g. both attacker and defender lose half of their fighting force, rounding up (i.e. if fighting with one or two armies, lose one; if fighting with three or four armies, lose two), and the defender keeps the province. This still does damage to both sides, but does mean (in particular) that a strong attacking force which fails to defeat a weaker defending force stands to lose more than the defender and so the onus is on them to achieve a victory.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”