Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

Schweetness101
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by Schweetness101 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:20 pm

***Very important note on scores: because you win auto win at 50% rather than 60% in the mod, the final points should be 50 points (not 60 points) plus the difference between the enemy % routed and his own % routed. The loser should still score points equal to the winner's % routed.

one week is probably too short of a time for most people to resolve their matches, so just play them as you can and as scores start to come in we will adjust the time frame appropriately.

I would like to host a small tournament to test out the Alternative Gameplay Mod, the thread for which you can find here:

viewtopic.php?f=492&t=99967

You would use the non-global version for the tournament. For the tournament, and any other multiplayer games with the mod, download and extract this folder (it is the NON-global version of the mod):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/903dosc5fdt8 ... yuXta?dl=0

into this directory on your computer:

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MULTIPLAYER

make sure that the whole alt gameplay mod folder is in there so that it looks like this:

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MULTIPLAYER\Alternative_Gameplay_Mod_v1.3

rather than there being a bunch of loose files in the MULTIPLAYER folder

UPDATE 3 I have updated the mod at the link above, so if you installed it prior to around 9:00AM MST on July 31st, then please re-download and reinstall (delete the old mod folder first please) in the MULTIPLAYER directory before the tournament begins. You will get a script mismatch if you use the old version against someone with the new version (the new one is still v1.3 but it has been updated).

List of players interested in joining so far:

TomoeGozen
Challenge1
edb1815
MikeC_81
nyczar
ulysisgrunt
Cunningcairn
MikeMarchant
phoyle3290
tmac11
Silvanol
Captainwaltersavage
SawyerK
random27
ianiow
gamercb
hscic
Aetius39
wmpryor
Morat
DanZanzibar
mceochaidh
cromlechi
Nijis
batesmotel
Warg1

Of course, as many people can join as they like. New joiners can sign up for the tournament through Thursday, August 6th. Then, people can start the first matches over the weekend, and we'll give each round a week to complete. **UPDATE: 1 week has turned out not to be enough time, take the amount of time that you need and we will adjust the dates from there.

If you do have any interest, please just respond in the comments that you are in.

I will style it after the official Slitherine tournaments with 3 Mirror games of pre-selected army matchups on a given terrain type (but of course we would have to host the games ourselves so the maps wouldn't be identical across games like in the official tournaments).

After some deliberation, I've decided that the three mirror matches will be:

1) Macedonian (320 - 261) vs Gallic (300-101). Mediterranean Agricultural
2) Andalusian (756-1049 AD) vs Frankish (751-887 AD) w/ Croatian allies. North European Agricultural
3) Roman (280-220 BC) vs Pyrrhic (280-272 BC). Mediterranean Agricultural

All games will be 'Large' size (1600 points). I find large games fit the mod well. They offer more opportunities for anarchy charges, and have enough units that you can have sizeable contingents, each with their own SG, for different purposes. So, large size justifies buying extra generals, while also flattening out the randomness a bit.

Like the official tournaments, in the first round you would be matched to a random player, and then after that you'd be matched with people based on scores from the first round etc...and the overall winners would be determined by the total points like in the official tournament. To quote the official tournament rules:
- If a game runs to the turn limit, each side scores points equal to the enemy % routed at the turn limit. If the game times out, adjustments may be made, depending on how far the game has progressed and who took longer over their turns – see below.
- If one army breaks, the victorious player scores 60 points plus the difference between the enemy % routed and his own % routed. The loser scores points equal to the winner's % routed.
I'll link the change-list here as well:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zulbqjdzybi2 ... l.pdf?dl=0

One note is that I strongly recommend that you read the lengthy change list, and download the mod, and at least play one singleplayer custom game to test things out before participating in the tournament, in order to avoid getting surprised by mechanics changes in a tournament game. I'm available and happy to play anyone in a multiplayer game with the mod as well to help show you the changes.

Here are a few of the most notable changes to definitely keep in mind when playing:

1) There are now chances to refuse charge. The tooltip and the combat log show refusal to charge chances and causes. Check the change list for the conditions that affect refusal odds.
2) There are now anarchy charges. The combat log shows anarchy charge chances and causes, and whether a unit is anarchy prone is in its unit card. Check the change list for the conditions that affect anarchy odds.
3) 90 degree flanks (those that start and end at 90 degrees) now just provide a +100 POA, but do not guarantee an auto-drop (vs pikes they are +200 and impose more negative modifiers for the CT, so are still very likely to result in a drop, but not guaranteed).
4) Non-light infantry lose secondary ZoC the turn they are charged from being charged by non-light cavalry (tooltip will show if a charge will result in such a loss), and cav can fall back further, so they are a bit more maneuverable now and able to get around the flank a bit faster.
5) Pikes have been fundamentally changed, definitely see the changelist for all the ways how, but long story short they are now a bit cheaper and greater in number, and more of a pinning force that drags combats out than a smashing force, and their weaknesses (loss of POA) are more heavily from disorder/disruption/flanking now than from casualties.
6) Infantry vs infantry combat is slower and cavalry vs cavalry combat is faster
7) Keeping units in command is now of paramount importance. Command affects odds to anarchy charge and refuse charge, and only units in command can rally. Whether a unit is in command is set at turn beginning, and is shown in the unit card. Command radii are 1 for generals in combat and 4 for generals out of combat, and SGs are like Allied generals that only provide command for their own units. If the CinC is dead the odds to refuse charge and anarchy charge increase for all units for the rest of the game, so think long and hard before committing him to combat.
8 ) The map is covered during unit selection, so there is more of a motivation to pick a balanced army than to min/max for the specific map (but you should have some idea what sort of terrain you will be facing because we aren't using potluck terrain for the tournament). One known issue with this is that you can see the map when deploying (not while selecting) units on your first turn, so if you remember it for your second turn, you will have had a little preview, although that should still be fair between the players. I don't have any way to alter the PBEM system itself to make it so the first turn consists only of unit selection and then uploading, short of which I cannot fix this issue afaik
9) Additional units in melee increase effectiveness in combat over the existing vanilla increase
10) Cav are much less likely to pursue past charge targets of opportunity or through and out of a general cav melee
11) You will want to assign your light foot to a command during deployment
12) Victory condition max is lowered to 50% from 60%

**note that the loss of 2 AP for units outside of command range that is on the official change list has been removed, because it was found to be too frustrating and not really in keeping with the spirit of the rest of the mod.

There are many more changes not listed above, and more complexity to the changes that are listed here. This is just a list of those that you should be at the bare minimum familiar with. I still recommend reading the full change list. I'll emphasize again that it is extremely important to familiarize yourself with the mod's changes before the tournament begins. It is really meant to be an alternative gameplay style that is pretty qualitatively distinct from vanilla in ways that will be very frustrating if you aren't familiar with the changes.

Thanks for any interest.

UPDATE:

here are the randomly generated matchups for the first round:

It is the evening here so I'm assuming no-one else is going to join up at this point. The first round will be this matchup:

1) Macedonian (320 - 261) vs Gallic (300-101). Mediterranean Agricultural

1600 point armies. Just post your results in this same thread like this:

Round 1
Match 1
Bob Defeats Jim
55-20
Match 2
Jim Defeats Bob
45-17

*it doesn't matter which one you call match 1 and which you call match 2 of the mirror matches within a given round
Last edited by Schweetness101 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 53 times in total.

MikeMarchant

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by MikeMarchant » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:54 pm

This sounds great, Gabe. I'd love to play.

Best Wishes

Mike

Cunningcairn
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Cunningcairn » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:15 pm

Please count me in.

Thanks
Martin

ulysisgrunt
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by ulysisgrunt » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:24 pm

sounds like fun; I'm in.
Question:
1)Where does the global go?

ulysisgrunt
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by ulysisgrunt » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:25 pm

sounds like fun; I'm in.
Question:

nyczar
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by nyczar » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:26 pm

I will be happy to particpate, thanks for the invite.

Schweetness101

Post by Schweetness101 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:33 pm

ulysisgrunt wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:24 pm
sounds like fun; I'm in.
Question:
thanks! global mods go in the Documents/MyGames/FieldOfGlory2/MODS folder, and the other non-global version, the one for mutliplayer and singleplayer custom battles, goes into Documents/MyGames/FieldOfGlory2/MULTIPLAYER and Documents/MyGames/FieldOfGlory2/CAMPAIGNS folders respectively.

For the tournament you will want install the the non-global mod into the Documents/MyGames/FieldOfGlory2/MULTIPLAYER folder

MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:52 am

I'd said I'd help once the mod is ready so I am in.
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/

edb1815

Post by edb1815 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:45 am

I am in as well.

Challenge1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Challenge1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:32 am

Thanks for the invite and count me in.

I am away next week but am guessing one week won't matter.

TomoeGozen
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by TomoeGozen » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:02 am

This looks interesting and I would like to be involved (assuming a rookie's incompetence is likely to be useful in testing this... :? ).
I have a couple of questions though..
Having not tried any mods yet , does downloading the mod affect your base game or does it simply create a new menu option that allows you to run either the base or the vanilla game?
Do anarchy charges 'trump' charge refusals? Ie : if you 'fail' an anarchy charge test do you ignore the 'fail to charge' test?

There were a few comments in the mod thread about increasing the number of units that can test to anarchy charge. I'm not sure it's a good idea to make this too common. I think players would rather have the option of taking either a disciplined or non-disciplined army. For example, if you take a roman army it's because you want to march forward in nice neat lines with shields locked , stab, stab, stab... If you take galatians.., not so much....

Cheers,
Dave

Schweetness101

Post by Schweetness101 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:12 pm

TomoeGozen wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:02 am
This looks interesting and I would like to be involved (assuming a rookie's incompetence is likely to be useful in testing this... :? ).
Having not tried any mods yet , does downloading the mod affect your base game or does it simply create a new menu option that allows you to run either the base or the vanilla game?
Do anarchy charges 'trump' charge refusals? Ie : if you 'fail' an anarchy charge test do you ignore the 'fail to charge' test?

There were a few comments in the mod thread about increasing the number of units that can test to anarchy charge. I'm not sure it's a good idea to make this too common. I think players would rather have the option of taking either a disciplined or non-disciplined army. For example, if you take a roman army it's because you want to march forward in nice neat lines with shields locked , stab, stab, stab... If you take galatians.., not so much....

Cheers,
Dave
any and all are welcome! thanks for the interest

The mod should not affect the base game if installed correctly. You extract the whole mod folder into:
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MULTIPLAYER
for multiplayer games (NOT into the main game folder). Then, when hosting a multiplayer game, to use the mod, you choose the mod you want with the 'select another' module button shown highlighted here:

yes anarchy values will probably stay about where they are for now, especially for disciplined troops. There is a needed update to the mod that fixes some UI unit selection issues at odd resolutions so I will push that change and any other last minute bugs very soon so everyone can download and install the right version before the tournament starts.

Schweetness101

Post by Schweetness101 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:20 pm

List of players interested in joining so far:

TomoeGozen
Challenge1
edb1815
MikeC_81
nyczar
ulysisgrunt
Cunningcairn
MikeMarchant

and myself of course makes more than 8, so the tournament is on! Of course, as many people can join as they like. unless there are any objections, I'll give it about another week and say that new joiners can sign up for the tournament through Thursday, August 6th. Then people can start the first matches over the weekend, and we'll give each round a week to complete.

tmac11
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by tmac11 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:59 pm

Count me in thanks for the invite

Silvanol
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Silvanol » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:59 pm

Thanks for the invite - Iam in :)

Captainwaltersavage
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Captainwaltersavage » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:49 pm

I would love to try this mod out some more, so count me in. Hopefully I will have time to read the change log before the competition starts. If not, expect some mad choices .

random27
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by random27 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Count me in please :)

TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 pm

Schweetness101 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:12 pm
TomoeGozen wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:02 am

Cheers,
Dave
any and all are welcome! thanks for the interest

The mod should not affect the base game if installed correctly. You extract the whole mod folder into:
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MULTIPLAYER
for multiplayer games (NOT into the main game folder). Then, when hosting a multiplayer game, to use the mod, you choose the mod you want with the 'select another' module button shown highlighted here:

yes anarchy values will probably stay about where they are for now, especially for disciplined troops. There is a needed update to the mod that fixes some UI unit selection issues at odd resolutions so I will push that change and any other last minute bugs very soon so everyone can download and install the right version before the tournament starts.
Marvellous, I shall give it a go with the single player version too.
Thanks,
Dave.

ianiow
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by ianiow » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:36 pm

I would like to try this too if there are spaces left.

Cheers,
Ian

Schweetness101

Post by Schweetness101 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:23 pm

ianiow wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:36 pm
I would like to try this too if there are spaces left.

Cheers,
Ian
there is infinite room! as many people as want can join, there's just a cut off date at the end of next thursday the 6th

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”