Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers, kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

gamercb
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by gamercb » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:55 pm

I have not tried the mods but would like to give them a go so count me in please

Colin

Aetius39
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:45 am

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by Aetius39 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:47 am

Hi, I will try it also, so please put me down.

Thanks,
Aetius

hscic
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by hscic » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:07 am

I am interested. Consider me in for the tournement.
All the best
Giordano

P.S. Just a question about the two folders to be downloaded for the new MOD.

The first one should be downloaded in the followion folders:
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\CAMPAIGNS
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MULTIPLAYER
The second one (global) should be downloaded in the following folder:
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MODS

In any case the first folder (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/903dosc5fdt8 ... yuXta?dl=0) should be downloaded in the following folder:
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MODS
Cheers

hscic
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by hscic » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:08 am

I am interested. Consider me in for the tournement.
All the best
Giordano

P.S. Just a question about the two folders to be downloaded for the new MOD.

The first one should be downloaded in the followion folders:
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\CAMPAIGNS
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MULTIPLAYER
The second one (global) should be downloaded in the following folder:
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MODS

In any case the first folder (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/903dosc5fdt8 ... yuXta?dl=0) should be downloaded in the following folder:
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MODS
Cheers

phoyle3290
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:42 pm
Location: NC, USA

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by phoyle3290 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:27 pm

I will join! Look forward to it!

Schweetness101
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:12 am

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by Schweetness101 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:38 pm

hscic wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:07 am
I am interested. Consider me in for the tournement.
All the best
Giordano

P.S. Just a question about the two folders to be downloaded for the new MOD.

The first one should be downloaded in the followion folders:
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\CAMPAIGNS
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MULTIPLAYER
The second one (global) should be downloaded in the following folder:
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MODS

In any case the first folder (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/903dosc5fdt8 ... yuXta?dl=0) should be downloaded in the following folder:
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MODS
Cheers
you only need to install one folder, the non-global version into C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MULTIPLAYER for multiplayer games. That same folder can go into C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\CAMPAIGNS for singleplayer custom battles if you desire. Installing the global mod into C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MODS is not needed for the tournament/multiplayer, but if you like using global mods for campaigns or imported empires battles you can!

To avoid this confusion I'll update the OP with the specific instructions needed to install the multiplayer version, rather than just linking to the mod thread

wmpryor
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:30 pm

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by wmpryor » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:44 pm

If there is still open slots for this tourney, I am interested.

wmpryor

Schweetness101
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:12 am

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by Schweetness101 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:53 pm

wmpryor wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:44 pm
If there is still open slots for this tourney, I am interested.

wmpryor
yes, infinite slots! there's just a time cutoff next thursday

thanks

Morat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:44 am

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by Morat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:48 am

I'd love to have a go. Please count me in.

Rgds

M.
Morat

Schweetness101
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:12 am

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by Schweetness101 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:03 pm

If there is anyone having difficulty installing the mod and getting it to work, please let me know before the tournament begins. If you are getting a script mismatch error, make sure that both parties have the latest version of the mod.

thanks!

Schweetness101
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:12 am

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by Schweetness101 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:29 pm

I thought I would add a general and unit matchup specific advice post for the mod here, in case anyone finds this sort of thing useful. I'll update it as I think of more things worth mentioning. It's not like you have to take into account the below to use the mod well or anything, but it can take awhile to adjust to the changes, so I thought I would also provide some advice specific to the selected matchups as far as the mod's changes are concerned, to help players adjust as quickly as possible to this specific tournament.

General Advice for Alt Mod:

1) Part of the effect of anarchy is that you can't spend multiple turns in a row within charge distance of the enemy, whether moving or staying still, without likely suffering anarchy charges. If you typically attack once in range to do so, you might not notice many anarchy charges, but if you try to hold anarchic units in place facing the enemy you will likely get anarchy charges.
____a) There is a potential to anarchy charge from moves, turns, fallbacks, and doing nothing in the face of the enemy
2) It is very important to keep units in command range. If you don't keep that in mind you will find yourself repeatedly frustrated by losing control
____a) There is an increase in chance to refuse charge both from being out of command range, and if the CinC dies. If your CinC dies mid game, and by late game units are kind of scattered around a bit more and more likely to have gotten out of command, you will find yourself very frustrated by a large number of refusals to charge. You really need to protect your CinC and only commit him if you feel it is absolutely necessary.
____b) Generals have had the range within which units take a CT if they die increased, so not only does losing a general involve the potentially permanent loss of command and control, but a very large number of disruptions all around them.
3) It's going to take a lot longer for normal 1v1 non-light infantry melees to resolve, excepting huge disparities in quality and impact drops. This gives you much more time to get cavalry flanks around. You also don't get auto drops for 90 degree flanks, so the typical mid line flanks on 45 degree angled units you get in vanilla are gone, because you can only get auto drops if you get around behind the enemy. Cavalry combat is also resolved faster, and cavalry are more able to get around infantry. The net result is that you are pretty heavily motivated to execute large flanking maneuvers to get a whole complement of cavalry (or maneuverable infantry as the case may be) around the enemy flank, and to not really bother with weird grid games designed to get 45 degree flanks mid line. It can still be good to take 90 degree flanks if and when they present themselves to get the +100 (+200 vs pikes) and the now more powerful 2v1, but your overall gameplan should not revolve around getting those the way it might in vanilla.
4) It is more important to think of groups of units in contingents which together share the same SG, and collectively hold a general area or are aiming for a specific collective maneuver, like a large flank, rather than as individual units on a grid each looking out for a 90 degree flank wherever they can get it. I think it’s likely that most flanks you get in vanilla are 90 degree flanks, so the mod may require that you rethink some of your standard method of playing.

Matchup Specific:

Pikes vs Romans:

Pikes now are cheaper and in greater number (more units that is, but less men per unit), have more staying power by slowing down combat a lot more even than other infantry in the mod (-25% mutual casualties against steady pikes), and significantly negate impact foot POA (-100) if the pikes are steady (They partially negate other POAs as well when steady, see the changelist). However, pikes get very significant -CTs if flanked, if flank threatened, or if non-steady, and lose POA from being non-steady as well, and have lower base POAs than vanilla (see changelist for all values). They are a pinning force, not a steamroller like in vanilla. There are also greater benefits to stacking up 2 and 3 vs 1s now than in vanilla. So, as Romans, you will NOT want to charge in and attempt to disrupt pikes on impact in an open field. You probably won’t get impact disruptions, and will instead just get stuck into a slow grind that you will likely eventually lose due to the manpower and melee POA disparity. Instead, you will want to move to achieve rear attacks (still +200 and auto drop) or flanks (not autodrop but +200 vs pikes in the mod, +100 vs non-pikes) with your superior maneuverability, and greater number of total infantry units. You’ll also want to use ranged units to draw pikes into disordering terrain, or to disrupt them with ranged fire, because pikes lose POA and get extra negative CT modifiers when non-steady. You may also want to try a staggered line with some weaker units lined up to intentionally get pushed back by pikes. That aspect is still somewhat similar to vanilla, but on the whole this mod has fundamentally changed pikes vs romans, and if you try to play this matchup like you would in vanilla you will be very frustrated. As pikes you will want to prioritize maintaining the integrity of your main line, and not allow pushbacks or terrain to disrupt your troops or open up flanks, while relying on your greatly superior cavalry to move into position to hit the Romans in the rear.

Romans vs Warband/Massed Medium Foot:

Your high quality foot are now less vulnerable on 90 degree flanks, and impose greater casualties from 2 and 3 vs 1s, so try to get into a melee with a dense mass of superior legions against the main enemy infantry line, routing them with impacts and then taking 2v1s as they come up, while protecting your rear with deep flanks. You should be able to win in the straight combat quite readily against warband/massed mediums. As the barbarians against the Romans, you will want to use rough terrain, ranged units, maneuverable mediums and greater numbers of cavalry to surround the Romans and line up rear attacks while avoiding getting bogged down in any melee in open ground too soon. Warband get a higher deep impact POA than in vanilla, and get an impact bonus from anarchy charging, so keep that in mind as well, but you probably still won’t be disrupting superior legions on impact.

Pikes vs 'Balanced' (other Hellenistic armies, Carthaginians, Gallic armies with large cavalry/chariotry complements, etc...):

Your pikes will hold out for a very long time against other infantry if they remain steady, but will likely be still a bit outnumbered in infantry against the above nations (except against warband probably), and will of course be relatively at greater disadvantage in rough terrain and if flanked. They don’t have as many men per unit as vanilla pikes, but also don’t lose POA from losing men, so keep that in mind in terms of taking ranged casualties. You will likely not be able to win just with infantry, because pikes are still pretty expensive and will slow down infantry combat so much, so you should instead rely on excellent hellenistic cavalry to defeat the enemy cavalry, and then get around to the rear and break the enemy infantry units pinned by your pikes. You'll likely want as many pikes as are needed to match a decent frontage of the enemy, something to anchor one weak flank on, and to weight the other with as powerful of a cavalry force as you can reasonably afford in order to defeat the enemy cavalry. Cav vs cav fights are faster now, cav are less likely to pursue out of cav vs cav fights, and will not pursue for as long, and have more ways to get around infantry ZoCs (imposed loss of secondary ZoC on non light infantry from non light cav charges this turn, and cav can back up further) so not only will the pikes hold for longer, but the cav don't need as much time to win on the flanks and get around. Plus, you cannot get mid line 45 degree auto drop 'flanks' anymore, so there are a lot of things motivating using pikes as a pinning force, and sending a large cavalry wing around the side to hit the enemy in the rear where you can get autodrops, instead of hoping for mid line 45 degree flanks to open up. Although pikes impose impact POA loss on impact foot, superior warband with general will still be powerful enough to have a decent chance of dropping your pikes on impact, and once disrupted the pike POA advantage in melee really collapses. If facing warband you should likely keep a pike unit or two in reserve to fill any gaps that might come up from superior warband charges.

Large Infantry vs Infantry battles (Vikings, Anglo-Danish, Irish, etc…):

You cannot get autodrop mid-line 45 degree flanks, and anarchy charges will likely ensue if you leave your infantry units within charge range of the enemy without attacking for too long, so you will have a more difficult time playing grid games to open up mid line ‘flanks’, and there is much less motivation for doing so. You get more of an advantage out of 2 and 3 vs 1s now, so you will likely want to line up as many of those as you can as they become available from units routing and pushbacks, rather than feeling the need to spend a few more turns to take a 90 degree flank mid line. This I find helps maintain the cohesion of the whole line a lot. As a smaller, more elite heavy infantry army, like Vikings if you max Huscarls, you will likely want to maintain the integrity of your main line of superior troops to face the bulk of the enemy, while protecting the flanks, so that with your superior unit quality and armor you can destroy the enemy center. As a massed medium foot line like the Irish you will no longer get auto drops from 90 degree flanks, and will be more anarchic, so you will want to think about maneuvering large contingents of maneuverable medium foot all the way around the enemy heavy line, using terrain as much as possible, and perhaps even breaking your troops into contingents separated by some space to try and split up the enemy, to pull them in different directions and impose ranged damage before committing to melee in order to do so with a reasonable chance of getting in rear attacks.
Last edited by Schweetness101 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomoeGozen
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:37 pm

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by TomoeGozen » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:29 pm

Thanks for those tips :-)

Two things have really stood out from our two practice games.
1) Keep units near their sub general! Otherwise you get lots of anarchy charges for one thing :-)
2) It's so much harder to get the autodrop flank now. Remember you have to get BEHIND the flank!

These two things really change how the game plays(or should play if I could just remember them during the game! ) :lol:

enjoying the mod.

Dave.

DanZanzibar
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:29 am

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by DanZanzibar » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:10 pm

Well better sign me up as well even if I don’t get a chance to practice first. Looks like a really cool mod - great job Schweetness!

kronenblatt
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Posts: 1344
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:17 pm
Location: Stockholm, SWEDEN

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by kronenblatt » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:50 pm

Schweetness101 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:29 pm
I thought I would add a general and unit matchup specific advice post for the mod here, in case anyone finds this sort of thing useful. I'll update it as I think of more things worth mentioning. It's not like you have to take into account the below to use the mod well or anything, but it can take awhile to adjust to the changes, so I thought I would also provide some advice specific to the selected matchups as far as the mod's changes are concerned, to help players adjust as quickly as possible to this specific tournament.

General Advice for Alt Mod:

1) Part of the effect of anarchy is that you can't spend multiple turns in a row within charge distance of the enemy, whether moving or staying still, without likely suffering anarchy charges. If you typically attack once in range to do so, you might not notice many anarchy charges, but if you try to hold anarchic units in place facing the enemy you will likely get anarchy charges.
____a) There is a potential to anarchy charge from moves, turns, fallbacks, and doing nothing in the face of the enemy
2) It is very important to keep units in command range. If you don't keep that in mind you will find yourself repeatedly frustrated by losing control
____a) There is an increase in chance to refuse charge both from being out of command range, and if the CinC dies. If your CinC dies mid game, and by late game units are kind of scattered around a bit more and more likely to have gotten out of command, you will find yourself very frustrated by a large number of refusals to charge. You really need to protect your CinC and only commit him if you feel it is absolutely necessary.
____b) Generals have had the range within which units take a CT if they die increased, so not only does losing a general involve the potentially permanent loss of command and control, but a very large number of disruptions all around them.
3) It's going to take a lot longer for normal 1v1 non-light infantry melees to resolve, excepting huge disparities in quality and impact drops. This gives you much more time to get cavalry flanks around. You also don't get auto drops for 90 degree flanks, so the typical mid line flanks on 45 degree angled units you get in vanilla are gone, because you can only get auto drops if you get around behind the enemy. Cavalry combat is also resolved faster, and cavalry are more able to get around infantry. The net result is that you are pretty heavily motivated to execute large flanking maneuvers to get a whole complement of cavalry (or maneuverable infantry as the case may be) around the enemy flank, and to not really bother with weird grid games designed to get 45 degree flanks mid line. It can still be good to take 90 degree flanks if and when they present themselves to get the +100 (+200 vs pikes) and the now more powerful 2v1, but your overall gameplan should not revolve around getting those the way it might in vanilla.
4) It is more important to think of groups of units in contingents which together share the same SG, and collectively hold a general area or are aiming for a specific collective maneuver, like a large flank, rather than as individual units on a grid each looking out for a 90 degree flank wherever they can get it. I think it’s likely that most flanks you get in vanilla are 90 degree flanks, so the mod may require that you rethink some of your standard method of playing.

Matchup Specific:

Pikes vs Romans:

Pikes now are cheaper and in greater number (more units that is, but less men per unit), have more staying power by slowing down combat a lot more even than other infantry in the mod (-25% mutual casualties against steady pikes), and significantly negate impact foot POA (-100) if the pikes are steady (They partially negate other POAs as well when steady, see the changelist). However, pikes get very significant -CTs if flanked, if flank threatened, or if non-steady, and lose POA from being non-steady as well, and have lower base POAs than vanilla (see changelist for all values). They are a pinning force, not a steamroller like in vanilla. There are also greater benefits to stacking up 2 and 3 vs 1s now than in vanilla. So, as Romans, you will NOT want to charge in and attempt to disrupt pikes on impact in an open field. You probably won’t get impact disruptions, and will instead just get stuck into a slow grind that you will likely eventually lose due to the manpower and melee POA disparity. Instead, you will want to move to achieve rear attacks (still +200 and auto drop) or flanks (not autodrop but +200 vs pikes in the mod, +100 vs non-pikes) with your superior maneuverability, and greater number of total infantry units. You’ll also want to use ranged units to draw pikes into disordering terrain, or to disrupt them with ranged fire, because pikes lose POA and get extra negative CT modifiers when non-steady. You may also want to try a staggered line with some weaker units lined up to intentionally get pushed back by pikes. That aspect is still somewhat similar to vanilla, but on the whole this mod has fundamentally changed pikes vs romans, and if you try to play this matchup like you would in vanilla you will be very frustrated. As pikes you will want to prioritize maintaining the integrity of your main line, and not allow pushbacks or terrain to disrupt your troops or open up flanks, while relying on your greatly superior cavalry to move into position to hit the Romans in the rear.

Romans vs Warband/Massed Medium Foot:

Your high quality foot are now less vulnerable on 90 degree flanks, and impose greater casualties from 2 and 3 vs 1s, so try to get into a melee with a dense mass of superior legions against the main enemy infantry line, routing them with impacts and then taking 2v1s as they come up, while protecting your rear with deep flanks. You should be able to win in the straight combat quite readily against warband/massed mediums. As the barbarians against the Romans, you will want to use rough terrain, ranged units, maneuverable mediums and greater numbers of cavalry to surround the Romans and line up rear attacks while avoiding getting bogged down in any melee in open ground too soon. Warband get a higher deep impact POA than in vanilla, and get an impact bonus from anarchy charging, so keep that in mind as well, but you probably still won’t be disrupting superior legions on impact.

Pikes vs 'Balanced' (other Hellenistic armies, Carthaginians, Gallic armies with large cavalry/chariotry complements, etc...):

Your pikes will hold out for a very long time against other infantry if they remain steady, but will likely be still a bit outnumbered in infantry against the above nations (except against warband probably), and will of course be relatively at greater disadvantage in rough terrain and if flanked. They don’t have as many men per unit as vanilla pikes, but also don’t lose POA from losing men, so keep that in mind in terms of taking ranged casualties. You will likely not be able to win just with infantry, because pikes are still pretty expensive and will slow down infantry combat so much, so you should instead rely on excellent hellenistic cavalry to defeat the enemy cavalry, and then get around to the rear and break the enemy infantry units pinned by your pikes. You'll likely want as many pikes as are needed to match a decent frontage of the enemy, something to anchor one weak flank on, and to weight the other with as powerful of a cavalry force as you can reasonably afford in order to defeat the enemy cavalry. Cav vs cav fights are faster now, cav are less likely to pursue out of cav vs cav fights, and will not pursue for as long, and have more ways to get around infantry ZoCs (imposed loss of secondary ZoC on non light infantry from non light cav charges this turn, and cav can back up further) so not only will the pikes hold for longer, but the cav don't need as much time to win on the flanks and get around. Plus, you cannot get mid line 45 degree auto drop 'flanks' anymore, so there are a lot of things motivating using pikes as a pinning force, and sending a large cavalry wing around the side to hit the enemy in the rear where you can get autodrops, instead of hoping for mid line 45 degree flanks to open up.

Large Infantry vs Infantry battles (Vikings, Anglo-Danish, Irish, etc…):

You cannot get autodrop mid-line 45 degree flanks, and anarchy charges will likely ensue if you leave your infantry units within charge range of the enemy without attacking for too long, so you will have a more difficult time playing grid games to open up mid line ‘flanks’, and there is much less motivation for doing so. You get more of an advantage out of 2 and 3 vs 1s now, so you will likely want to line up as many of those as you can as they become available from units routing and pushbacks, rather than feeling the need to spend a few more turns to take a 90 degree flank mid line. This I find helps maintain the cohesion of the whole line a lot. As a smaller, more elite heavy infantry army, like Vikings if you max Huscarls, you will likely want to maintain the integrity of your main line of superior troops to face the bulk of the enemy, while protecting the flanks, so that with your superior unit quality and armor you can destroy the enemy center. As a massed medium foot line like the Irish you will no longer get auto drops from 90 degree flanks, and will be more anarchic, so you will want to think about maneuvering large contingents of maneuverable medium foot all the way around the enemy heavy line, using terrain as much as possible, and perhaps even breaking your troops into contingents separated by some space to try and split up the enemy, to pull them in different directions and impose ranged damage before committing to melee in order to do so with a reasonable chance of getting in rear attacks.
Really interesting mod, Schweetness! Will follow it and this tournament. But being in the beginning of my learning curve for vanilla, I'd better not get confused with mod rules, so this time I'll pass. But keep up the good job!
Arranging the The Year of Many Emperors (TYME), Dividing the Spoils (DiSp), and The West is No More (TWiNM) tournaments as well as the Ever-Green League for Field of Glory II!

Cunningcairn
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A
Posts: 1533
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:05 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by Cunningcairn » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:53 pm

Schweetness101 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:29 pm
I thought I would add a general and unit matchup specific advice post for the mod here, in case anyone finds this sort of thing useful. I'll update it as I think of more things worth mentioning. It's not like you have to take into account the below to use the mod well or anything, but it can take awhile to adjust to the changes, so I thought I would also provide some advice specific to the selected matchups as far as the mod's changes are concerned, to help players adjust as quickly as possible to this specific tournament.

General Advice for Alt Mod:

1) Part of the effect of anarchy is that you can't spend multiple turns in a row within charge distance of the enemy, whether moving or staying still, without likely suffering anarchy charges. If you typically attack once in range to do so, you might not notice many anarchy charges, but if you try to hold anarchic units in place facing the enemy you will likely get anarchy charges.
____a) There is a potential to anarchy charge from moves, turns, fallbacks, and doing nothing in the face of the enemy
2) It is very important to keep units in command range. If you don't keep that in mind you will find yourself repeatedly frustrated by losing control
____a) There is an increase in chance to refuse charge both from being out of command range, and if the CinC dies. If your CinC dies mid game, and by late game units are kind of scattered around a bit more and more likely to have gotten out of command, you will find yourself very frustrated by a large number of refusals to charge. You really need to protect your CinC and only commit him if you feel it is absolutely necessary.
____b) Generals have had the range within which units take a CT if they die increased, so not only does losing a general involve the potentially permanent loss of command and control, but a very large number of disruptions all around them.
3) It's going to take a lot longer for normal 1v1 non-light infantry melees to resolve, excepting huge disparities in quality and impact drops. This gives you much more time to get cavalry flanks around. You also don't get auto drops for 90 degree flanks, so the typical mid line flanks on 45 degree angled units you get in vanilla are gone, because you can only get auto drops if you get around behind the enemy. Cavalry combat is also resolved faster, and cavalry are more able to get around infantry. The net result is that you are pretty heavily motivated to execute large flanking maneuvers to get a whole complement of cavalry (or maneuverable infantry as the case may be) around the enemy flank, and to not really bother with weird grid games designed to get 45 degree flanks mid line. It can still be good to take 90 degree flanks if and when they present themselves to get the +100 (+200 vs pikes) and the now more powerful 2v1, but your overall gameplan should not revolve around getting those the way it might in vanilla.
4) It is more important to think of groups of units in contingents which together share the same SG, and collectively hold a general area or are aiming for a specific collective maneuver, like a large flank, rather than as individual units on a grid each looking out for a 90 degree flank wherever they can get it. I think it’s likely that most flanks you get in vanilla are 90 degree flanks, so the mod may require that you rethink some of your standard method of playing.

Matchup Specific:

Pikes vs Romans:

Pikes now are cheaper and in greater number (more units that is, but less men per unit), have more staying power by slowing down combat a lot more even than other infantry in the mod (-25% mutual casualties against steady pikes), and significantly negate impact foot POA (-100) if the pikes are steady (They partially negate other POAs as well when steady, see the changelist). However, pikes get very significant -CTs if flanked, if flank threatened, or if non-steady, and lose POA from being non-steady as well, and have lower base POAs than vanilla (see changelist for all values). They are a pinning force, not a steamroller like in vanilla. There are also greater benefits to stacking up 2 and 3 vs 1s now than in vanilla. So, as Romans, you will NOT want to charge in and attempt to disrupt pikes on impact in an open field. You probably won’t get impact disruptions, and will instead just get stuck into a slow grind that you will likely eventually lose due to the manpower and melee POA disparity. Instead, you will want to move to achieve rear attacks (still +200 and auto drop) or flanks (not autodrop but +200 vs pikes in the mod, +100 vs non-pikes) with your superior maneuverability, and greater number of total infantry units. You’ll also want to use ranged units to draw pikes into disordering terrain, or to disrupt them with ranged fire, because pikes lose POA and get extra negative CT modifiers when non-steady. You may also want to try a staggered line with some weaker units lined up to intentionally get pushed back by pikes. That aspect is still somewhat similar to vanilla, but on the whole this mod has fundamentally changed pikes vs romans, and if you try to play this matchup like you would in vanilla you will be very frustrated. As pikes you will want to prioritize maintaining the integrity of your main line, and not allow pushbacks or terrain to disrupt your troops or open up flanks, while relying on your greatly superior cavalry to move into position to hit the Romans in the rear.

Romans vs Warband/Massed Medium Foot:

Your high quality foot are now less vulnerable on 90 degree flanks, and impose greater casualties from 2 and 3 vs 1s, so try to get into a melee with a dense mass of superior legions against the main enemy infantry line, routing them with impacts and then taking 2v1s as they come up, while protecting your rear with deep flanks. You should be able to win in the straight combat quite readily against warband/massed mediums. As the barbarians against the Romans, you will want to use rough terrain, ranged units, maneuverable mediums and greater numbers of cavalry to surround the Romans and line up rear attacks while avoiding getting bogged down in any melee in open ground too soon. Warband get a higher deep impact POA than in vanilla, and get an impact bonus from anarchy charging, so keep that in mind as well, but you probably still won’t be disrupting superior legions on impact.

Pikes vs 'Balanced' (other Hellenistic armies, Carthaginians, Gallic armies with large cavalry/chariotry complements, etc...):

Your pikes will hold out for a very long time against other infantry if they remain steady, but will likely be still a bit outnumbered in infantry against the above nations (except against warband probably), and will of course be relatively at greater disadvantage in rough terrain and if flanked. They don’t have as many men per unit as vanilla pikes, but also don’t lose POA from losing men, so keep that in mind in terms of taking ranged casualties. You will likely not be able to win just with infantry, because pikes are still pretty expensive and will slow down infantry combat so much, so you should instead rely on excellent hellenistic cavalry to defeat the enemy cavalry, and then get around to the rear and break the enemy infantry units pinned by your pikes. You'll likely want as many pikes as are needed to match a decent frontage of the enemy, something to anchor one weak flank on, and to weight the other with as powerful of a cavalry force as you can reasonably afford in order to defeat the enemy cavalry. Cav vs cav fights are faster now, cav are less likely to pursue out of cav vs cav fights, and will not pursue for as long, and have more ways to get around infantry ZoCs (imposed loss of secondary ZoC on non light infantry from non light cav charges this turn, and cav can back up further) so not only will the pikes hold for longer, but the cav don't need as much time to win on the flanks and get around. Plus, you cannot get mid line 45 degree auto drop 'flanks' anymore, so there are a lot of things motivating using pikes as a pinning force, and sending a large cavalry wing around the side to hit the enemy in the rear where you can get autodrops, instead of hoping for mid line 45 degree flanks to open up.

Large Infantry vs Infantry battles (Vikings, Anglo-Danish, Irish, etc…):

You cannot get autodrop mid-line 45 degree flanks, and anarchy charges will likely ensue if you leave your infantry units within charge range of the enemy without attacking for too long, so you will have a more difficult time playing grid games to open up mid line ‘flanks’, and there is much less motivation for doing so. You get more of an advantage out of 2 and 3 vs 1s now, so you will likely want to line up as many of those as you can as they become available from units routing and pushbacks, rather than feeling the need to spend a few more turns to take a 90 degree flank mid line. This I find helps maintain the cohesion of the whole line a lot. As a smaller, more elite heavy infantry army, like Vikings if you max Huscarls, you will likely want to maintain the integrity of your main line of superior troops to face the bulk of the enemy, while protecting the flanks, so that with your superior unit quality and armor you can destroy the enemy center. As a massed medium foot line like the Irish you will no longer get auto drops from 90 degree flanks, and will be more anarchic, so you will want to think about maneuvering large contingents of maneuverable medium foot all the way around the enemy heavy line, using terrain as much as possible, and perhaps even breaking your troops into contingents separated by some space to try and split up the enemy, to pull them in different directions and impose ranged damage before committing to melee in order to do so with a reasonable chance of getting in rear attacks.
Great mod explained beautifully! I hope you can convince Stockwellpete to enter :-)

mceochaidh
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by mceochaidh » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:16 pm

If not too late, I would like to participate.

Mac

Schweetness101
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:12 am

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by Schweetness101 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:50 pm

mceochaidh wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:16 pm
If not too late, I would like to participate.

Mac
it is NOT too late yet, but today is the last day to sign up! i've added you :)

cromlechi
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Posts: 485
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by cromlechi » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:03 pm

Ok sign me up. Will try to install the mod later.

Best wishes
Adam

Schweetness101
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:12 am

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by Schweetness101 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:08 pm

I sent out a last minute mass email in case anybody else wanted to sign up, but there may have been a glitch that made it send 3 times to everyone, so sorry about that if you got spammed.

Nijis
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
Posts: 655
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Re: Alternative Gameplay Mod Tournament

Post by Nijis » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:12 pm

I'd like to try, if I'm in before the cut-off. Thanks for organizing this!

Post Reply

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”