The Republic in Crisis Mini Campaign

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

olin0111
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: The Republic in Crisis Mini Campaign

Post by olin0111 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:51 pm

All of the Coalition mourn such turn of events but this is just the beginning and we all believe the tyranny of Rome can be broken!

Let us know the exact result of the battle so we can check how large your victory was, Hendricus. Once the round is finished I will update the first post with all the results.

Hendricus
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Hendricus » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:56 am

devoncop wrote:Likewise to Hendricus...check your PM's for the MP password.....Sertorius is hoping for some horrifically rough terrain to lead the Tyrant Sulla's Legions a merry dance....
Found the new tournament place and Sertorius is a bit more humble, Rome won round 1A.

devoncop
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by devoncop » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:05 am

Sertorius's Legions were undefeated and now are raising hopefully more reliable Spanish Allies......... :-)

olin0111
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by olin0111 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:03 pm

I got the results of battle between Sertorius and Romans from devoncop:

Spanish Forces of the Coalition.....Lost 4828 out of 10,555 (45%)
Roman Tyranny of Sulla......Lost 1509 out of 9438 (15%)

That is +30% for Romans, qualifies as decisive victory and grants +3VP.

Also, I have got one observation.
The percantage ratio of losses on the battle screen is different than the one in post battle summary when all the casualties and captured/deserted troops are included. (I know, it may sound very obvious). I believe that the difference betwen the loosing side and the victor will always be at least 20% in post battle summary. That means that at the current victory levels we will most probably never get pyrrhic or minor victory. It's not the end of the world, of course. It just currently makes the first two victory levels (0-9% and 10-20%) redundant? Food for thought for the next campaign I guess.

AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AlessandroD » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:34 pm

@ggarynorman

Still waiting that you accept my challenge :)

olin0111
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by olin0111 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:55 pm

Unfortunately Mithridates suffered a clear defeat! Imitation legionnaires melted away in a blink of an eye and were no match for the Roman troops. Romans clearly must have used some magick as even the light troops often failed to evade a bloody heavy infantry. Pontic heavy cavalry after initial success chased the panicked Roman allies for too long and didn't return to the battlefield soon enough. Mithridates was not able to conquer Asia and is fleeing back to his kingdom to gather a new army.

The final losses ratio was 23% to 57%. The difference is 34% which is another major victory for Rome and +3VP.

olin0111
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by olin0111 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:23 pm

I know it's double posting but I wanted to keep some things separate.

So I think I need to eat my words regarding not making any changes once the campaign started because I would like to propose one. I do like to change how the victory levels are decided. I already mentioned in one of my previous posts that the percantage ratio of losses on the battle screen is different than the one in post battle summary. I checked my post battle MP results and almost always the result was around 30-38% no matter how many troops each side has routed. This was especially glaring in one game where according to post battle result the difference in losses were 37% but this was a bloody battle till the end and the actual ratio of routed units was 52% to 60% (only 8% difference!). So if the routed units were taken into account it would actually be a pyrrhic victory instead of a decisive one. I think it is rather a significant flaw in the scoring system if you can have only one level of victory (decisive victory, that is).

Here are some screenshots of the battle:
Battle result - routed units. I lost 52% to 60%

Post-battle result. The losses are 26% to 63%!

I think the scoring system is generally ok when applied to the percantage of routed troops on the battlefield, not to the post battle result. It still favors one particular result (victory in the range of 21%-29%) but makes other results possible. Please let me know if you agree with this change and are ok to apply it to previous and future battle results.

This change may have an effect on the current victory levels at least in our last game, Dolyley50. The diffrence in routed units was 55% to 30% so it would be +2VP instead of +3VP.

Hendricus

Post by Hendricus » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:43 pm

Stick with the current rules is my vote. So you don't have to eat your words.

devoncop

Post by devoncop » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:54 pm

I think a change is justified now but understand if the other players think it should stay as is for this Campaign ...and the change is implemented for any possible future one.

Doyley50
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Doyley50 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:56 am

I would vote for a change am happy to see it stay as it is if that is what people want.

AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AlessandroD » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:51 am

Doyley50 wrote:I would vote for a change am happy to see it stay as it is if that is what people want.
+1

olin0111
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by olin0111 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks for your opinions guys. As I want everybody to be ok with any changes let's not modify the rules. Everything stays as it was and changes can be implemented in a possible future campaign.

AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AlessandroD » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:14 pm

AlessandroD vs. ggarynorman (Slave revolt)

Romans have been able to handle the slave revolt in the usual way, a democratic and civilized meeting among the belligerents, unfortunately one side wasn't able to join the meeting... :mrgreen:
Slave-Roman.jpg
Slave-Roman.jpg (651.12 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Not an easy task for ggarynorman, Slave army is very difficult to play, thanks for the game :D

olin0111
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by olin0111 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:54 pm

Here are the results after the first round:

The Rome is crushing all the opposition! The military prowess of the legions and the skills of their commanders secured vicotres on all fronts. Sertorius, Mithridates and Spartacus are licking their wounds after defeats. Who knows what next years will bring? It is time for the second round guys. Please issue a challenge according to the schedule.

Hendricus, please check your PM.

devoncop

Post by devoncop » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:00 pm

PM sent to Alessandro....Mithridates awaits....

AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AlessandroD » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:04 pm

Incoming... :D

Doyley50

Post by Doyley50 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:09 am

Challenge posted for ggarynorman, pwd ggarynorman.

olin0111
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by olin0111 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:24 am

After the initial defeat Spartacus army crushed the Romans! The battle was bloody and the advantage swung back and forth. Finally Romans, surrounded by a furious mob, broke and fled. The spirit of freedom was so high among the rebels that day that many of those who were routed in the initial clash rallied to rejoin the battle. Some of the captured auxiliaries were offered a place in Spartacus army. The captured Romans were slaughtered or branded and made to serve as slaves in gladiatorial shows. News of the victory spread quickly and more people are escaping latifundia and joining the rebel army.

Result: -40%
Slave revolt (20%) vs Roman (60%)
Epic victory for the Coalition: -4VP

Hendricus

Post by Hendricus » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:40 am

olin0111 wrote:After the initial defeat Spartacus army crushed the Romans! The battle was bloody and the advantage swung back and forth. Finally Romans, surrounded by a furious mob, broke and fled. The spirit of freedom was so high among the rebels that day that many of those who were routed in the initial clash rallied to rejoin the battle. Some of the captured auxiliaries were offered a place in Spartacus army. The captured Romans were slaughtered or branded and made to serve as slaves in gladiatorial shows. News of the victory spread quickly and more people are escaping latifundia and joining the rebel army.

Result: -40%
Slave revolt (20%) vs Roman (60%)
Epic victory for the Coalition: -4VP
I was outnumbered 2:!, and had to fight in rough terrain,sned another Legion to stop this rebellion.

devoncop

Post by devoncop » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:11 am

Great news from Spartacus.........at last a check on Roman tyranny....:-)

Sadly it seems likely that Mithridates Forces may again be bested....Pontic forces overran the Roman centre in a hard fought struggle but the crushing defeat of Pontic Cavalry by Rome on the left flank and crumbling Imitation Legions on the Pontic right looks to be fatal.......more soon............

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”