Toss of a Coin for Wins

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

SLancaster
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Toss of a Coin for Wins

Post by SLancaster » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:12 pm

I notice that in some of the knockout tournaments if the scores are drawn at the end of the match then it is a toss of a coin to decide the winner.

I was thinking about this today and I came up with counting generals on the field first to find a winner and then perhaps tossing a coin if still level. Any thoughts?

edb1815
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Toss of a Coin for Wins

Post by edb1815 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:52 pm

SLancaster wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:12 pm
I notice that in some of the knockout tournaments if the scores are drawn at the end of the match then it is a toss of a coin to decide the winner.

I was thinking about this today and I came up with counting generals on the field first to find a winner and then perhaps tossing a coin if still level. Any thoughts?
I think it is a good idea to have an extra level of tie breaking before the coin toss, except perhaps in an agreed draw. All of the circumstances for a completely level draw are rare, but as in sport these things happen. As I noted on Discord perhaps using the numbers in the final results screen could work as well as they are usually different from the % shown on the last turn in game. I like your general losses idea as well.

Macedonczyk
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Macedonczyk » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:45 pm

SLancaster wrote:

But I think winner should have less Generals (I treat death of General as bad luck).
It can also compare the number of dead and wounded in the table from the end of the battle.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:18 am

SLancaster wrote:

In the KO Tournament that I run and has just started we do use a toss of a coin in extremely rare cases where a match is tied or drawn with both players having exactly the same percentage losses. So 62-62 or 45-45 will result in a toss of the coin. But most drawn or tied matches will have scores like 45-41 or 62-61 and these go to the tiebreaker. Here is the rule . . .

"Tied matches will be dealt with as follows. If the match has been played to a conclusion and both armies have broken then a tie-breaker will come into operation. The winner of the tie-breaker will be the player who has inflicted the most damage on their opponent's army. Tied matches where the damage inflicted is equal will be decided by a toss of the coin.

In drawn matches where neither player's army has broken, the player who has inflicted the most damage will be declared the winner. Matches that are drawn by agreement, where no losses on either side have occurred, or where the losses for both armies are exactly the same, will be decided by a toss of the coin."

So, I think these sorts of situations, where players' scores are exactly equal, happen very infrequently and do not warrant an extra level of complexity in the rules. It would also take more time, in some cases, to clarify the leader situation and this would delay the start of some matches in the next round.

SLancaster

Post by SLancaster » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:37 am

I think if it got to the final I would have a hard time tossing a coin to decide who won a tournament. I think I would just declare joint winners. I know this situation is unlikely but that doesn't make it impossible.

Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:27 pm

I'd suggest a rematch and only if that was an exact draw would I have joint winners.

garymann
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by garymann » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:12 am

what about a " to the death " general combat. Set up match in sandbox.

More true to the age.

1 unit the same each, say lancer plus general (or HCh in biblical, etc). No terrain.

Charge each other and let the gods decide.

to the victor the spoils!

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”