Having trouble winning with Space Marines

Warhammer 40,000: Gladius Relics of War brings you to a world of terror and violence. Four factions will engage in a brutal war for dominance over the planets resources.
JPLOZ
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Having trouble winning with Space Marines

Post by JPLOZ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:23 pm

I have played three games. Each time I lowered the difficulty setting; finally to very easy. But I keep getting wiped out by the Necrons. Anyone else having this issue playing the Space Marines

Aekar
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Having trouble winning with Space Marines

Post by Aekar » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:41 am

In my game on Medium difficulty, I forgot to research the Arsenal, and was all with infantry all the time in Medium.
I had no plane, no dreadnought, no tank. And played on a large map (where the slowness of my troops was dull)
Yet it was won!

So I think I can help you with some Space Marine tips.

My advice:
Recruit captains, go to item shop as soon as you have enough influence, purchase movement and everything making him solid; and sword that deals damage to group.
You should be fine with two captains max.
Your Captain will NOT deal huge damage early on, but after some time he will, and you need someone sturdy.

Recruit Librarians, use its damage over time skill (it has 2 range) on the heavy Necron vehicles (Monolith etc), and on cities.
Otherwise use him as healer.

Use Terminators and Devastators as main units, and hit-and-run Assault Marines early on, with their skill available to retreat.
Use planes only if you have plenty of water to open a flanking front, otherwise I think you are safe with other ground vehicles.
Dreadnoughts should be fine.

Oh, another thing.
With Devastator marines remember to make a sturdy line.
This is the main point.
Do not use their attack during your turn when you move a formation.
Instead make a sturdy line, and use their cover fire. It will help against the neutral killer robots... and the Enslavers.
Last edited by Aekar on Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eddieballgame
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by eddieballgame » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:23 am

I am no expert at this game, but I won a game with SM vs 3 Orcs on a small map. It was on Normal Difficulty & victory was attained on move 107. I chose a 'very low' land setting for creating some potential choke points.
It was most enjoyable.

Busby
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Busby » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:58 am

JPLOZ wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:23 pm
I have played three games. Each time I lowered the difficulty setting; finally to very easy. But I keep getting wiped out by the Necrons. Anyone else having this issue playing the Space Marines
Hey bud.

I would recommend that you research "Devastator Marines", Terminators, have a Chaplain with you, as well as a few Apothecaries.
A great tactic for Space Marines is use of their "Tactical Doctrines". They last usually around 10 turns, and can really get you out of some sticky situations.
Let's not forget the Fortress of Redemption too. They can hold their own against some of the units, or the very least provide instant support.

All in all, the best tactic would be to research drop pods, and just deploy a army of Terminators.
Nothing will stop you then :P

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:14 pm

Devastator marines will make short work of most Necrons (remember not to move and fire). Assault Marines also take on warriors easily. Your heroes are extremely tough so let them soak up damage while hitting from behind with supporting units.

ErissN6
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by ErissN6 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:58 pm

I always play in Normal difficulty. As quests can easily unbalance the game, I play without.
In this setting, Normal no Quest/DLC, I can win. I always play usual infantry (Tactical) then usual tanks (Predator), and only use influence to call for Tower (yes it's becoming expensive) protecting outposts moreover if near a pyramid. I reaserch mainly all boosts for them (Tacticals/Predator/Tower). I have only one hero, so the items I find are not useless..
My difficulty is that I'm slow in discovering the land, as I try to never have units let alone, I try to group them, so they can support each other and protect a retreating damaged. As I play mainly infantry, I love forests: don't forget infantry is invisible when in forest border, you can make good traps.

Waiting for the Chaos, so I can play their marines :) (I don't care about demons)
I find bayonet are missing as resaerch for infantry.

ErissN6

Post by ErissN6 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:48 am

I don't play multi, and didn't tried other factions, so maybe that's why I don't understand the problems:

I find the SM economy good, I wonder what people find bad with it;

and the Fortress towers are quite* okay.
Sure don't use the towers alone, they need support.
At beggining of the game, use them as support to defend your troops (and citadel),
then use them offensively but not as frontline, they're still here to support your attacks against breach in your line,
then later once the front is far, old towers are rather becoming back guard against infiltrations and too easy steal.
* But I'm okay they however seem feeble without close defense bolters, it should be something to be researched.

JPLOZ
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JPLOZ » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:42 pm

I figured out my problem. I was playing with the Space Marines set on the toughest setting. When I kept the Necrons at the toughest setting and my Space Marines to the easiest setting, then the Necrons were not so tough. I thought that the difficulty was set under settings, but it is set when you begin the game and assign teams.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War”