Dreadnoughts need more armor

Warhammer 40,000: Gladius Relics of War brings you to a world of terror and violence. Four factions will engage in a brutal war for dominance over the planets resources.
Dwarf_power
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Dreadnoughts need more armor

Post by Dwarf_power »

They start with 7 armor. In comparison, a Space Marine Tactical unit starts with 8 armor.
According to the lore, Dreadnoughts have more armor then Space Marines. It's a walking tank. Please give it more armor.
Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Dreadnoughts need more armor

Post by Rosseau »

It's right in the xml file ready for you to change. Let us know if you need help:

<armor set="7"/> <!-- %armor set armor=12/10/10 -->
<meleeArmorPenetration set="0.0"/> <!-- %meleeArmorPenetration set strength=6 -->
<hitpointsMax set="24.0"/> <!-- %hitpointsMax set armor=12/10/10 wounds=3 -->
<meleeAccuracy set="8"/> <!-- %meleeAccuracy set weaponSkill=4 -->
<meleeAttacks set="3"/>
<meleeDamage set="3"/> <!-- %meleeDamage set strength=6 -->
<!-- <meleeInitiative set="4"/> -->
<moraleMax set="10"/>
<movementMax set="3"/>
<productionCost set="36.0"/> <!-- %productionCost set tier=6 factor=1 -->
<rangedAccuracy set="8"/> <!-- %rangedAccuracy set ballisticSkill=4 -->
<requisitions set="-2.0"/> <!-- %requisitions set tier=6 factor=1 -->
<requisitionsCost set="40.0"/> <!-- %requisitionsCost set tier=6 factor=1 -->
Dwarf_power

Post by Dwarf_power »

Rosseau wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:22 am It's right in the xml file ready for you to change. Let us know if you need help:

<meleeArmorPenetration set="0.0"/> <!-- %meleeArmorPenetration set strength=6 -->
<meleeAccuracy set="8"/> <!-- %meleeAccuracy set weaponSkill=4 -->
<meleeAttacks set="3"/>
<meleeDamage set="3"/> <!-- %meleeDamage set strength=6 -->
<!-- <meleeInitiative set="4"/> -->
<moraleMax set="10"/>
<movementMax set="3"/>
<productionCost set="36.0"/> <!-- %productionCost set tier=6 factor=1 -->
<rangedAccuracy set="8"/> <!-- %rangedAccuracy set ballisticSkill=4 -->
<requisitions set="-2.0"/> <!-- %requisitions set tier=6 factor=1 -->
<requisitionsCost set="40.0"/> <!-- %requisitionsCost set tier=6 factor=1 -->
What effect does this have on multiplayer?
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Probably a "no go," but I don't use MP. Even if both players used the same modded file, it could be trouble. I'm too SP-centric ;)
eddieballgame
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by eddieballgame »

As long as each participant has the identical modded XML files, there should be no issues. Obviously if one player has different XML files then the rest there will be a 'mismatch' of some sort.
This also prevents someone from gaining an upper-hand.
Taare
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Taare »

I know that the devs were worried in the beta about upping the armor of the dreadnought in fear of it becoming op, personally i think them pretty useless right now, and would rather it have lesser firepower but more staying power.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

Space Marines ( Assault, Tactical, & Devastator )
<armor set="8"/> <!-- %armor set armor=3+ -->
<meleeArmorPenetration set="0.0"/> <!-- %meleeArmorPenetration set strength=4 -->
<hitpointsMax set="3.0"/> <!-- %hitpointsMax set toughness=4 wounds=1 -->

Dreadnought

Not sure how to read the numbers per these units, but overall the Dreadnought looks pretty tough to me.
The games I have used them also have shown them to be quite effective.
Last edited by eddieballgame on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

It has been discussed before but no consensus if it needs to be changed.
Dwarf_power

Post by Dwarf_power »

IainMcNeil wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:11 am It has been discussed before but no consensus if it needs to be changed.
You guys think a walking battle tank having less armor then a space marine is good gameplay and lore balance?
I stopped using them because they get shredded like paper.
A tactical marine unit can soak more damage then a Dreadnought.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

Dwarf_power wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:01 pm
IainMcNeil wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:11 am It has been discussed before but no consensus if it needs to be changed.
You guys think a walking battle tank having less armor then a space marine is good gameplay and lore balance?
You are overlooking the hps & firepower. I will take Dreadnoughts over Marines any day.
Taare
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Taare »

i will take devastators over dreadnoughts any day. dreadnoughts are paper, take an armory production slot and are slow. drop the multimeta and up armor a lot more
SSLConf_Shuul
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by SSLConf_Shuul »

My suggestion would be to up the armor a bit and to replace multi-melta with something else (there are MUCH better units for AT duty), I believe the best here would be a canonical assault cannon, that is the default weapon for dreadnoughts in tabletop and most PC games.
Currently dreads are not worth using at all, IMO.
Dwarf_power

Post by Dwarf_power »

eddieballgame wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:32 pm
Dwarf_power wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:01 pm
You are overlooking the hps & firepower. I will take Dreadnoughts over Marines any day.
What good is the health when it gets immediately focus fired as soon as you drop one into combat? It's not a frontline unit (although it's supposed to be), and if you put one on the edge of a fight to flank, the AI will just surround it and focus fire it anyway.
They end up getting destroyed or so badly damaged that they almost need two dedicated techmarines to keep healing them, which is a waste of two thunderfire cannon units.

A Dread has too much risk as it needs to close within melee distance to be fully effective, and I would rather use Devastators and Predators at range then risk sending a Dread in the thick of it.

The only units that can withstand melee range punishment at the frontline is the Captain, Chaplain, and Terminators. A Dread should be more resilient then a Terminator, and yet it's weaker then a Space Marine. It's pretty ridiculous.
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

Maybe you don't know how to use a Dreanought, which have a bad back armor (he's not good in general melee):
Don't show it, bring it to the front only when the fight has already begun, then protect his sides (so he can't be too much focused on). He will be the very heavy cavalry (slow charge, then to be retreated soon).
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

I have done some testing with the Devastators vs the Dreadnoughts. Basically created a mod pumping out those two units & playing 'hotseat'.
I stand corrected...the Devastators appear to be a superior unit, particularly when factoring in the time & cost to produce them. In 1on1 battles, even with the Dreadnoughts going first, the Devastators had the better results. I raised the Dreadnought's armor to 8 & the results were better for them, of course the first shot is key.
Depending on how much tougher one thinks the Mechs should be, I could see raising them to a 9
The beauty of this game is there is an easy solution for those that want tougher Dreadnoughts, just raise their armor to 8 or more.
Would be curious what the overall consensus is per this unit's value in combat. It is easy to 'improve' a single unit, but a little more difficult to do in the context of all the units.
Last edited by eddieballgame on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ErissN6

Post by ErissN6 »

eddieballgame wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:33 amdone some testing with the Devastators vs the Dreadnoughts... the Devastators appear to be a superior unit. In 1 on1 battles, even with the Dreadnoughts going first, the Devastators had the better results.
Devastators are stationary long-range anti-tank (and close-range anti-infantry), while Dreadnought are slow mobile close-range destroyer (his long-range weaponry stands accurate but not as piercing). Who should win depends on the situation: usually the devastator is set far back upon a cliff to have good aims, the dreadnough must have to close to him by an uneasy trail (while never showing his back to any enemy) where the devastator would be able to shoot him several times before the dreadnough reach to fight.. That's why dreadnough like fighting in breaking LoS areas, such as cities.
But in Gladius the shooting ranges are short compare to movement, so to balance this something is to be done (I imagine per making more powerfull weapons, or even removing some armour on slow machine which must never show its back..).
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

Interesting read per the WH 40K Dreadnought.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Dreadnought

This gives me an idea to mod in a new version of the Dreadnought, while keeping the existing one & moving it to the same Tier lvl as the Devastator.
Dwarf_power

Post by Dwarf_power »

ErissN6 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:10 am Maybe you don't know how to use a Dreanought, which have a bad back armor (he's not good in general melee):
Don't show it, bring it to the front only when the fight has already begun, then protect his sides
This game doesn't model directional armor. It doesn't matter if a unit gets attacked from the back/side, since the model will spin to face an attacker anyway.
Secondly, they are godly in melee. Your statement is flat out wrong.
Thirdly, I already explained a scenario where I'm dropping them in combat after the fight as started, using them on the flanks. They get focus fired by all ranged units, so even if I surrounded my dreadnought with marines (which is a comical idea....using squishy marines to protect an armor plated dreadnought), he will still go down to ranged attacks, especially from Ork air units.

The dreadnought is just flat out squishy. Not sure what argument you're trying to make.
ErissN6

Post by ErissN6 »

Dwarf_power wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:02 amthey are godly in melee. Your statement is flat out wrong.
A comical idea....using squishy marines to protect an armor plated dreadnought.
He will still go down to ranged attacks, especially from Ork air units
I said "general melee". Yeah put it ahead in a corridor, and he is a god making melees one by one against who arrives in front of him.
Put it in a field in a general melee, and he will be easily destroyed if its sides are not enough covered.
Hence yes he should be vulnerable from the air.
He's godly only if the enemy stands in front of him.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

The armour comes from the codex apparently unless someone got it wrong.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War”