The Dustbin

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Re: From Cyrus to Tigranes discussion

Post by Cunningcairn »

stockwellpete wrote:Right, we can wrap this thread up now. The 9 match-ups for Season 2 in this section will be . . .

Chinese, Zhou (1046-701BC) v Qiang (1046-701BC)
Achaemenid Persians (545-481BC) v Greeks (550-461BC)
Carthaginians (410-341BC) v Syracusans (412-281BC)
Pyrrhus (280-272BC) v Macedonians (320-261BC)
Kushans (130BC-476AD) v Indo-Skythians (95BC-50AD)
Romano-British (407-599AD) v Scots-Irish (50BC-476AD)
Roman (425-492AD) v Hunnic (Western) (376-454AD)
Kingdom of Soissons (461-486AD) v Germanic Foot Tribes (260-492AD)
Chinese, Chen (557-589AD) v Northern Dynasties, Northern Zhu (557-581AD)

So I have dropped the Graeco-Bactrian v Seleucid match-up as the Graeco-Bactrians generally had poor results in Season 1.
Pete I can't find the armies for this match Chinese, Chen (557-589AD) v Northern Dynasties, Northern Zhu (557-581AD). What armies are we supposed to use?
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: From Cyrus to Tigranes discussion

Post by stockwellpete »

Cunningcairn wrote:
stockwellpete wrote:Right, we can wrap this thread up now. The 9 match-ups for Season 2 in this section will be . . .

Chinese, Zhou (1046-701BC) v Qiang (1046-701BC)
Achaemenid Persians (545-481BC) v Greeks (550-461BC)
Carthaginians (410-341BC) v Syracusans (412-281BC)
Pyrrhus (280-272BC) v Macedonians (320-261BC)
Kushans (130BC-476AD) v Indo-Skythians (95BC-50AD)
Romano-British (407-599AD) v Scots-Irish (50BC-476AD)
Roman (425-492AD) v Hunnic (Western) (376-454AD)
Kingdom of Soissons (461-486AD) v Germanic Foot Tribes (260-492AD)
Chinese, Chen (557-589AD) v Northern Dynasties, Northern Zhu (557-581AD)

So I have dropped the Graeco-Bactrian v Seleucid match-up as the Graeco-Bactrians generally had poor results in Season 1.
Pete I can't find the armies for this match Chinese, Chen (557-589AD) v Northern Dynasties, Northern Zhu (557-581AD). What armies are we supposed to use?
They are from jomni's Silk Road mod v1.2. I have just checked and they are both available. :wink:
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Re: The Rally Point (discussion and questions)

Post by Cunningcairn »

Ok I had the old version but see them now that I've downloaded v1.2. Thanks!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Reserve list places available . . .

Post by rbodleyscott »

pantherboy wrote:Thanks Ian. Very kind of you to give up your spot. I'll try and do you justice. I've got a bit of work ahead of me to try and get up to speed with this version of the game. Hidde I think this will be your chance to be the teacher and I the student :wink:
Eeek. We are all doomed.
Richard Bodley Scott

Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Re: Classical Antiquity divisions and army allocations

Post by Ironclad »

Post deleted.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

deleted - post repeated
MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 »

Hey Pete, I'll concede my spot in Late Anti B div if Panther wants to jump in and just be a backup instead in that section if Panther wants. While I know I can get my games done despite the busy July coming up, if someone wants in and doesn't even have a single section to play in atm, I am more than happy to play a more relaxed schedule this summer.
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

obsolete
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

pantherboy will be replacing MikeC_81 in Late Antiquity B division. He has asked me to pick an army for him as he has the advantage of seeing what other players have chosen, so I have opted for MikeC_81's original allocation, the Kingdom of Soissons (461-486AD).
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

stockwellpete wrote:pantherboy will be replacing MikeC_81 in Late Antiquity B division. He has asked me to pick an army for him as he has the advantage of seeing what other players have chosen, so I have opted for MikeC_81's original allocation, the Kingdom of Soissons (461-486AD).
All players in Late Antiquity B do a collective gulp as the reputation of pantherboy reaches even those of us who haven't had the (mis?) fortune to face him :shock:
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

I was laughing until the penny dropped - I'm in Division B! Aah!!!
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Save Scrumming cheat

Post by bbogensc »

I've requested on the main forum that the save game feature be disabled due to "save scrumming" in league and tournament games. I would motion that this be done before we commence season 2 in the next few days.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Save Scrumming cheat

Post by stockwellpete »

bbogensc wrote:I've requested on the main forum that the save game feature be disabled due to "save scrumming" in league and tournament games. I would motion that this be done before we commence season 2 in the next few days.
I have no powers to alter the game settings. I have sent a PM to Richard asking for clarification.
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by bbogensc »

Thanks, appreciated. Alternately, if the feature cannot be disabled maybe 1 load game can be allowed per match. I've played 53 matches and only saved the game just before getting on a flight. There is no need for multiple saves and loads on a turn.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

"Save scumming" is not a viable "tactic", because the in-built anti-cheating system on the PBEM++ server will rapidly detect it - because each time the turn is reloaded there be a download from the server but no matching upload. The player will be warned (in case there is a genuine reason for the game crashing), and if the behaviour persists (thus making a legitimate reason increasingly unlikely) they will get banned.

People have been banned from FOG MP in the past. I am not privy to how many, but I know the (real) name of at least one who was banned from FOG1 MP play.

The proprietors of Slitherine used to be top-level tabletop tournament players and tournament organisers, and they are well aware of the need to stop cheating, or even the impression of cheating.
Richard Bodley Scott

bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by bbogensc »

Does that also cover scumming once per game turn? Or, are you saying the software will detect scumming where the player re-loads multiple combat results in a turn? Thanks.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

bbogensc wrote:Does that also cover scumming once per game turn? Or, are you saying the software will detect scumming where the player re-loads multiple combat results in a turn? Thanks.
Yes, it applies even if it is only done once per game turn, because there would be 2 downloads and only one upload. (There is a download at the start of each turn, and the turn would have to be downloaded again after force-quitting. So there would be 2 downloads and only one upload.).

The PBEM++ server keeps a track of uploads and downloads. The only way that the two can differ is if the computer or game crashes, genuinely or deliberately. If it was done repeatedly during a game, as you suggest, the system would very rapidly flag up a warning, and the people at Slitherine would investigate, and if necessary ban the player doing it. If it was done only once per game the disparity would not be as great and so it might take a bit longer for the perpetrator to be caught and dealt with.

However, it falls into the category of "give them enough rope and they will hang themselves", and it is a very risky ploy for someone to try unless they don't care if they get banned. If so, they won't be around for long. Anybody playing as much as the top players do would rapidly get detected if they do this in "friendly" or tournament games, so it is safe to assume that nobody gets high up the rankings by doing this.
Richard Bodley Scott

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Thanks very much for your prompt answers, Richard. We did have this issue raise its ugly head "back in the day" with FOG1, but I think virtually all the players then were satisfied that Slitherine were dealing with the issue vigorously and correctly. I am still of that opinion today and I regard the various FOG2 tournaments that take place as being as "clean" as they possibly can be. So I hope this subject is closed now as far as Season 2 of the FOG2DL is concerned and there will be no talk of "save scumming" during the tournament. Thanks very much. :wink:
MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 »

You guys make him sound like the reincarnation of Tamerlane the Destroyer :lol:
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

MikeC_81 wrote:You guys make him sound like the reincarnation of Tamerlane the Destroyer :lol:
They'll all be fine. pantherboy is only at the tutorial stage at the moment. :D

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”