Early Middle Ages: winners post your results here . . .

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Early Middle Ages: winners post your results here . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:06 am

Please use the following format when reporting your results here . . .

Division A

hidde (Byzantines) beat stockwellpete (Arabs) 50-25

It is very helpful to me if we all get used to reporting the results in the same way, so please report the score as 50-25 rather than 25-50 when you have won. This avoids much confusion when discussing match situations by PM with regards to adjudication or some other issue regarding the rules of the tournament.

joggy
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Early Middle Ages: winners post your results here . . .

Post by joggy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:31 pm

Division D

joggy (Serbian) beats Doyley50 (Viking) (29%) 42-13

Rob123
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Rob123 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:01 am

Division D

Rob123 (Andalusian with Spanish allies) defeated joggy (Serbian) 55:29

wellsonian
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by wellsonian » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:34 pm

Division F

wellsonian (Byzantines) defeated wmpryor (Irish with Viking allies) 47-10

TomoeGozen
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by TomoeGozen » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:51 pm

Division E

TomoeGozen(Byzantine with Arab allies) defeats Barrold713(Lombard with Arab allies) 49-19

A massed cavalry battle on my left was fairly inconclusive ( helped by sterling work from my klibanophoroi). This did however allow me to free up a couple of other cavalry units. In the centre a hill helped my massed Skutatoi hold and disrupt the enemy infantry line long enough for the 'spare' couple of cavalry units to get in to their rear and finish things off.
The Lombards were let down by their allies who were no doubt distressed to be fighting their fellow Arabs on my side :-)

Warg1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Warg1 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:50 am

Division C

Warg1 - Arab Conquest 638-684 AD defeats ulysisgrunt - Welsh 600-1049 AD with Anglo-Danish 1017-1041 AD allies 55 - 22

Karvon
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Karvon » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:04 pm

Div C

Karvon Arab Conquest 625 defeated Warg1 Arab Conquest 638 48-22 for a 4-0 win.

The two Arab armies met on a desert plain split by a minor wadi. A large steep hill anchored our left center. Dominating our center was a farming hamlet surrounded by extensive fields and ditches. A large area of rocky ground lay beyond the hill and fields and short of the wadi on our left. To the left of the steep hill lay another area of fields and groves.

These two armies are almost identical. The later Conquest list offers more and better horse and a very useful pair of veteran Dailami, while the early list has fewer minimums and a much higher number of veteran Muslim spear. I decided to max out on my light foot, massed bow and camels to support my Bedouin lancers in hopes of containing his cavalry. I took the Bedouin foot to defend and work in the rough terrain, I took a few Bedouin light horse to scout, distract and threaten flanks. The balance I used on the redoubtable Muslim spear.

I deployed my Bedouin foot and my light foot initially on the left to secure the hill. While inferior to the Dailami, if figured if I held the high ground, I could keep them at bay if necessary. The spearmen started out secured in the fields and ditches of the hamlet supported by a pair of bowmen. I held my mounted troops as a reserve well behind the hamlet from which they could sortie to either the left or right of the village field complex.

My opponent had a fairly balanced force. Initially, he had the Dailami and some Bedouin foot on his right to potentially attack or mask the rocky ground and hill. He had a line of spearmen intermingled with mass bowmen in the center screened by some light foot. A couple of lancers were in reserve. He had about half a dozen lancers on his left.

His whole force shifted to his left as he advanced warily towards my troops waiting in the hamlet complex. I pushed my light horse forward on both flanks and he detached some cavalry to chase them. I shifted my light foot from the slopes of the hill to the edges of the field complex to screen my spear from missile fire. He responded by shifting his own light foot further left around the fields and moved up his horse and other foot slowly to support them.

I advanced my Bedouin foot off the hill and circled through the rocky ground to threaten the right flank of his advancing infantry. I advance my skirmishers and concentrated fire effectively on to his massed bow and supporting lights to take an early lead in shooting. He advanced spear to screen the shot up bowmen. I brought my cavalry and camel reserve up to threaten the flanks of his extended light foot shooting line. I then unleashed some to drive them off but one of my camels got a bit over enthusiastic and single-handedly wiped out most of his skirmish line in a succession of pursuit moves. I advanced my spear to engage along the line, though we were still in the ditches in some spots. A heavy infantry fight broke out in the center and on my left. On my right, the cavalry and camels tangled with the opposing lancers in a less than desired disorganized melee in support of our fanatical camel charge. On the left I lost a light horse through a careless attack on a flank near the wadi. On the right my light horse continued to distract some of his cavalry by threatening the rear. As the battle raged in the center, our Bedouins turned the enemy right flank breaking a couple of units and in the center, despite one spear routing away with a commander, our reserves fed in and we broke through the front line and destroyed the two previously shot up bowmen hiding in the rear. Though our camels and cavalry got battered on the right, they held on long enough. Our routing spear were rallied by their general on the slopes of the nearby hill and the battle was over

The final view of the field...
Attachments
2020-100-05 E Arab Conquest vs L Arab Conquest.jpg
2020-100-05 E Arab Conquest vs L Arab Conquest.jpg (708.41 KiB) Viewed 1432 times

desertedfox
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by desertedfox » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:29 pm

Division B

desertedfox (1600) (9) - Rus 960-1053 AD with Polish 966-1057 allies defeated Cunningcairn (1200) (7) - German 933-1049 AD with Polish 966-1057 AD allies 60 - 36.

Thx for a very tough game.

joggy
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by joggy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:27 pm

Division D

joggy (Serbian) beats Conteshard (Byzantine) (12%) 60-48

joggy
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by joggy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:23 pm

Division D

joggy (Serbian) beats random27 (Viking) (30%) 60-30

joggy
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by joggy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:25 pm

Division D

joggy (Serbian) beats Kerait (Arab) (41%) 47-6

mr cholo
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by mr cholo » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:29 pm

Division C

mr cholo (1200) - Viking (Ireland) 900-1049 AD beats ulysisgrunt - Welsh 600-1049 AD with Anglo-Danish 1017-1041 AD allies 41% vs 15%

snooky51
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by snooky51 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:02 am

Division E

snooky51 - Dailami 928-1055 AD defeats Barrold713 - Lombard 776-1049 AD with Arab (North African) 789-999 AD allies --- 60-36

Lombard Calvary had success against the dailami right wing but the dailami impact foot tore through the Lombard infantry and grouped up on some isolated calvary to win the day.

tmac11
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by tmac11 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:32 am

Division D

Tmac11 (Khorosanian) beat Joggy (Serbian) 64-39

kronenblatt
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by kronenblatt » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:17 pm

Division E

kronenblatt (righteous Rus 960-1053 AD with Bulgar (Danube) 852-1018 AD allies) beat Tratmot (Polish 966-1057 AD with turncoat Rus 960-1053 AD allies) 42-17.
Arranging the The Year of Many Emperors (TYME), Dividing the Spoils (DiSp), and The West is No More (TWiNM) tournaments for Field of Glory II!

TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:36 pm

Division E

TomoeGozen (Byzantine with Arab allies) defeats deeter (Norman) 63-50.

A real slugfest with the main line of infantry vs infantry on my left and cavalry vs cavalry on my right going at it all game once they got in contact. The two far wings just did their own things in a fairly indecisive way. Eventually the Norman infantry in the main line started to roll up my infantry and my cavalry in the main line started to roll up the Norman cavalry. Fortunately for me my Skutatoi infantry resisted long enough for my cavalry to sneak it. Another turn though and it could have gone the other way. Good game by deeter , thanks , it was tense :-)

(3-1)

BishUK
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BishUK » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:45 pm

Division D

BishUK (North Hindu) beat Joggy (Serbian) 55-27

Thanks for the game

Conteshard
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Conteshard » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:31 pm

Division D

Conteshard (1600) Byzantine 988 - 1041 with Georgian 1008-1049 Ally beats BishUK (1600) Indian (Hindu North) 600-1049 AD 65-50

the Indian king tried to pul a Teutoburg Forest on the Byzantine general; luckily for the general, he had studied his history and the first lesson was "big forests--> baaaaaad". Nonetheless the battle was gruesome :D

(3-1)

DryNick
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DryNick » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:00 pm

Division E

DryNick (Arab) beats TomoeGozen (Byzantine with Arab allies) 60-34

Thanks for the game.

Karvon

Post by Karvon » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:50 am

Division C

Karvon - Arab (Conquest) 629-637 AD defeated ulysisgrunt - Welsh 600-1049 AD with Anglo-Danish 1017-1041 AD allies 45-3 for a 4-0 win.

A series of gentle hills ran from the middle of the Welsh deployment area off to their left flank anchored by a large wood which lay in front of the ridge and against their left edge. On our side of the field, a long gentle slope ran across part of our center and a large plateau faced faced the forest on the edge.

The Welsh list has a lot of cheap infantry a mix of medium and heavy foot backed up by a few cavalry and light foot. I fully expected them to initially mass on their ridges and forest and wait to see how I would try to tackle them. Facing this potential defensive bulwark, I maxed out my lights and supporting massed bowmen for use in softening up. I brought camels to support my cheap Bedouin lancers to follow up the skirmishers and deal with his cavalry. I added a pair of Bedouin foot to help with small patches of rough or woods. Most of my army was our superior spear for grinding down the expected cheap infantry masses.

We deployed our spear to the left behind the ridge line with our bows on the left and our light foot screening. Our Bedouin foot initially were in reserve in the rear. Our mounted started out in reserve behind all the infantry. The Welsh deployed about as we expected; a mass of infantry lined the ridges with a few light foot screening them. Their four cavalry formed in reserve on the right behind them. Our plan was pretty simple, we pushed our lights and bow supported by our mounted on our left swinging quite wide of the ridge then wheeling to threaten his cavalry line guarding the right end of his ridge. Our spear escheloned left to cover the flank of this advance.

He shifted some of his infantry line to refuse his right and began to redeploy some of his foot from his far left. My skirmishers advanced to effective range and began pelting his cavalry and refused infantry, disrupting some. He charged his cavalry off the hill and my skirmishers scurried out of the way and reformed as my cavalry and camels moved closer. His cavalry wheeled to return to the hill and my skirmishers moved up and shot more of them down. My infantry slowly continued their shift left in support of my skirmishers and mounted. My light lancers moved across his rear and one I threw to pin a retreating cavalry. About half of his cavalry broke and fled from bowfire and a couple more of his supporting infantry were disrupted by the routs and fire. My camels and cavalry moved up threatening his right.

He advanced his infantry off the hill to stop my spear from exploiting his shaking right. My spears happily turned to deal with these brave men and steadily mowing them down. My archery disrupted a few more and the cavalry and spears finished them off and the Welsh streamed for the hills.

The final scene...
Attachments
2020 10 11 Arabs vs Welsh.jpg
2020 10 11 Arabs vs Welsh.jpg (253.81 KiB) Viewed 1120 times

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”