The Rally Point (discussion and questions)

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: The Rally Point (discussion and questions)

Post by rbodleyscott »

SLancaster wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:56 am What confused me was don't you usually have to get to your own next turn for the 60% rout to come into place?
You do in SP games, because the victory conditions are only tested on the player's turn. However, in MP games the victory conditions are tested at the start of both players' turns.

If one side had reached 60% losses, (or >= 40% and >= 25% more than the enemy) that is a defeat.

If the game ends (at nightfall) without those conditions the game will still report a winner, as the engine does not recognise the existence of draws, but under the rules of the FOG2DL it would be a draw.

In this particular case, one side reached 60% so lost. It wasn't a draw.
Richard Bodley Scott

SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Classical Antiquity Division D Chat S3

Post by SimonLancaster »

A lot of comments are going to the Dustbin so to make sure we don’t upset the organisers I have set aside this space for all comment and chatter about Classical Antiquity Division D!

I think the Digital League has been a great success. In our division, there are different kinds of armies like Persian archers, Samnite warriors, Roman Legionaires, Carthaginian farmers, and the great phalanxes. It has been fun to play! I have learnt a lot and made some new friends..

Talking more specifically about my opponents and their armies.. I really hope Mr Barnes wins a game! Sparta should be tough! Youngr and his Samnites have shot up the table! No more tips and training from me!

I have played everyone and in my view the toughest armies are the Romans, the Samnites, and the Seleucids. Will they all be in the top three come the end of the season? Watch this space!
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Classical Antiquity Division D Chat S3

Post by stockwellpete »

SLancaster wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:40 am A lot of comments are going to the Dustbin so to make sure we don’t upset the organisers I have set aside this space for all comment and chatter about Classical Antiquity Division D!
What I call "banter" goes into "The Dustbin" after a couple of days as I like to keep the result threads clear of clutter so that players can read the results and I can do my recording and stats more easily. Anything else can go in "The Rally Point"where it will remain for much longer. At the end of every season I do a bit of half-hearted weeding in here too. :wink:
SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

I would prefer my own thread.. why have you stuck this in the Rally Point!?

There was nothing wrong in having a thread! Not upsetting anyone! I wanted a thread to focus specifically on DL chat! Rally Point stuff just gets lost in one big mish mash!

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

SLancaster wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:22 pm I would prefer my own thread.. why have you stuck this in the Rally Point!?

There was nothing wrong in having a thread! Not upsetting anyone! I wanted a thread to focus specifically on DL chat! Rally Point stuff just gets lost in one big mish mash!
Because we have enough threads as it is and I don't want to clutter up the tournament area with what I regard as unnecessary threads. Imagine if players from each division started their own thread, we would soon be in a right old mess and players would start posting results in the wrong place. That is why. And it would have been much politer of you if you had asked me first. Mind you, the answer still would have been "no". :D
Herode_2
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Herode_2 »

Makes sense, but I also understand SLancaster's request. Maybe you could open a (single) free chat thread for the purpose ?
I mean, the Rally Point is about (serious) discussion and questions about the tournament, the free chat thread could host any other free comments, just like people chating and babbling as earthling humans love to do (after my spies reports) - not bad for the mood after all^^
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Herode_2 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:57 pm Makes sense, but I also understand SLancaster's request. Maybe you could open a (single) free chat thread for the purpose ?
I mean, the Rally Point is about (serious) discussion and questions about the tournament, the free chat thread could host any other free comments, just like people chating and babbling as earthling humans love to do (after my spies reports) - not bad for the mood after all^^
The Rally Point is the place for all discussion, it doesn't have to be serious. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. In any case, SLancaster's idea was for a thread just for Classical Antiquity Division D players. So it was highly sectional. It is not something I want to encourage myself.
Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

As a possible compromise... would rooms for the different leagues be possible? As opposed to separate divisions in each league.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Ludendorf wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:19 pm As a possible compromise... would rooms for the different leagues be possible? As opposed to separate divisions in each league.
But is it really necessary? This is the 7th season of the FOGDL now and The Rally Point has been perfectly adequate up to now. What are you going to be saying in these "rooms" that you cannot say now in The Rally Point? I don't get it myself. :?
Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

stockwellpete wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:23 pm
Ludendorf wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:19 pm As a possible compromise... would rooms for the different leagues be possible? As opposed to separate divisions in each league.
But is it really necessary? This is the 7th season of the FOGDL now and The Rally Point has been perfectly adequate up to now. What are you going to be saying in these "rooms" that you cannot say now in The Rally Point? I don't get it myself. :?
To be honest, I'm not too sure about that myself. I don't generally say much in the rally point anyway, unless I'm joining a discussion that is already ongoing. I guess I figured players might appreciate a place to talk specifically about events in their leagues; particularly dramatic results, unexpected victories, talking points specific to that league (for example, the performance of and discovered tactics and tricks related to specific types of armies unique to that time period) and the like. It might be more amenable to discussion than one megathread is.
SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

This is like Big Brother! Enough threads this is a right old mess!!!! Have you actually looked at the forum? We are not exactly Counter Strike or Warhammer Total War!

You dumped my silly little comments about league play into something called 'The Dustbin'. Then you *closed down* my thread about my division.. This is about generating camaraderie and friendship! Not churning out the league results and sticking numbers into a big spreadsheet! There is more to life than this, pete!

I wanted to create a thread about our division. Nothing wrong in that! Let's promote the game and promote fun and friendship! Not build barriers!!

You have done a great job but let's take wargaming into the 21st century!

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I am getting fed up with you. First of all, do us all a favour and lose all the exclamation marks. It makes it seem like you are shouting. Secondly, you have only been in the tournament for 3 weeks and already you have made two attacks on the tournament and this one is attacking me as well. If you don't like what is offered here then please take yourself off somewhere else. I have not had anyone else complain before about the space provided here for communication with other players. It is just you and now I'm afraid I just regard you as a bit of a troublemaker.
SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

Come on, pete! Listen to yourself here..

I make a few comments about the league and they go into 'The Dustbin'. I was disappointed but didn't say anything. Now you delete my standalone thread and move it into Rally Point without any proper justification. I have made no attacks on people. I am not attacking you. I just wanted my thread to be left up!

You are now telling me not to use exclamation marks it is completely like a control freak!

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

SLancaster wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:23 pm Come on, pete! Listen to yourself here..

I make a few comments about the league and they go into 'The Dustbin'. I was disappointed but didn't say anything. Now you delete my standalone thread and move it into Rally Point without any proper justification. I have made no attacks on people. I am not attacking you. I just wanted my thread to be left up!

You are are telling me not to use exclamation marks it is completely like a control freak!
You have only been in the tournament 3 weeks so you are jumping to conclusions that are completely unwarranted. All banter, whoever posts it, even my own banter, is moved into The Dustbin, usually after a couple of days when I next update the tables. This has always been the case. Ask anyone who has played in the league before.

You started a thread without asking me. I am running this tournament and, over the years, I have thought a lot about how many threads there should be and how information can be conveyed effectively to large numbers of players. Having a separate chat thread for Classical Antiquity Division D does not remotely fit that template. So I feel completely justified in removing your thread. When I sense a shift in opinion about an issue in the tournament I run polls and then I abide by their outcomes. I think most players are satisfied with this approach and there has certainly been a gradual evolution of the rules over the last 6 seasons.

And you say you are not attacking me yet in the next sentence you can call me a control freak. Please wind your neck in. :roll:
SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

I started a thread without asking you!!!!

Okay, let me leave this discussion. I will let others make more reasonable and objective assessments!

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

A post of mine about banter from last season . . .

Banter . . .

Post by stockwellpete » 08 Jun 2018 06:17

By all means chat away with your opponents in the threads after a match and offer congratulations etc. That is fine. But I will tidy the threads, particularly the results threads, after a couple of days by moving anything that isn't a result or a challenge to "The Dustbin". This is to make it easier for players to find the things they are looking for and to make it easier for me to record the results and check various things. So please do not be offended if one of your posts is eventually moved. :wink:
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

SLancaster wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:49 pm I started a thread without asking you!!!!
Yes, this is my tournament. I have designed it. I have built it up over a number of years now (with the help of many dozens of fine players). And I have negotiated with Slitherine for this dedicated tournament space. So the polite thing to do was to ask me by putting something in The Rally Point. Yet you have only been around for 3 weeks. Would you normally barge into someone's house and start scraping the wallpaper off? What would they say, do you think? :lol:
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Ludendorf wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:28 pm To be honest, I'm not too sure about that myself. I don't generally say much in the rally point anyway, unless I'm joining a discussion that is already ongoing. I guess I figured players might appreciate a place to talk specifically about events in their leagues; particularly dramatic results, unexpected victories, talking points specific to that league (for example, the performance of and discovered tactics and tricks related to specific types of armies unique to that time period) and the like. It might be more amenable to discussion than one megathread is.
The trouble is, if you were to, say, have separate "Chat Rooms" for each section, it wouldn't be very long before a debate that started in one "chat room" would then spread to the other "chat rooms", so then the debate would become quickly dispersed across 4 or 5 different places. Like the discussions we had pre-season about the increased incidence of draws and the allocation of armies. These were big discussions that would likely take off in more than one place. So then there would be calls for us to centralise the debate in one thread so that players could follow the arguments more easily than by jumping from one "chat room" to another. That is why we decided on one place, The Rally Point (courtesy of Mark aka Turk1964) at the very beginning of the FOGDL. We usually have between 60 and 80 players each season and less than half of those regularly contribute to our discussions so we are not that big really. I am not sure what is to be gained by adding another 5 discussion threads, to be honest. I don't think they would be used very much most of the time. :wink:
Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

stockwellpete wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:42 pm
Ludendorf wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:28 pm To be honest, I'm not too sure about that myself. I don't generally say much in the rally point anyway, unless I'm joining a discussion that is already ongoing. I guess I figured players might appreciate a place to talk specifically about events in their leagues; particularly dramatic results, unexpected victories, talking points specific to that league (for example, the performance of and discovered tactics and tricks related to specific types of armies unique to that time period) and the like. It might be more amenable to discussion than one megathread is.
The trouble is, if you were to, say, have separate "Chat Rooms" for each section, it wouldn't be very long before a debate that started in one "chat room" would then spread to the other "chat rooms", so then the debate would become quickly dispersed across 4 or 5 different places. Like the discussions we had pre-season about the increased incidence of draws and the allocation of armies. These were big discussions that would likely take off in more than one place. So then there would be calls for us to centralise the debate in one thread so that players could follow the arguments more easily than by jumping from one "chat room" to another. That is why we decided on one place, The Rally Point (courtesy of Mark aka Turk1964) at the very beginning of the FOGDL. We usually have between 60 and 80 players each season and less than half of those regularly contribute to our discussions so we are not that big really. I am not sure what is to be gained by adding another 5 discussion threads, to be honest. I don't think they would be used very much most of the time. :wink:
Alright. That logic makes sense to me, and I wasn't aware of the history behind things. Thanks for the reply.
dkalenda
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by dkalenda »

SLancaster
why don't you open a chat separatley on a different website, if your Division opponents like the idea will follow you there.
Personally I prefer to concentrate on the easy to access infos, instead of looking for challenges or results in between dozens of unuseful threads.

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”