The Rally Point (discussion and questions)

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: The Rally Point (discussion and questions)

Post by stockwellpete »

It is very strange as some players are still sending me results and they must be from games that were started before the crash. I am not playing any games myself at the moment but I played two friendlies before the start of this season of the FOG2DL. When I went to log in to multi-player yesterday evening to see if those two matches were still in my "games completed" section, the game treated me as if I was completely new to multi-player. I had to adjust the music settings and then log in. Normally I would just log in. Once I had logged in again though, the two completed games were visible and the multi-player lobby was full of challenges going right back to September. I expect Richard will come along with some more information this morning.
ianiow
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by ianiow »

I could not log in to multiplayer or this forum yesterday so posted the problem on the Steam forum. Pip said they are indeed having problems but are looking to fix things soon. My problems are gone now and I got a few turns done last night.
Barrold713
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Barrold713 »

My turns seem not to be completing successfully this morning
BDH
SpeedyCM
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by SpeedyCM »

Yeah I had some server issues yesterday too, but it has all been fine today.
harveylh
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by harveylh »

Had a friendly game hang up about a hour ago. Also very slow.
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
Herode_2
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Herode_2 »

I've just tried to play my 2 current games , and I'm in France
- I've been able to load the MP lobby - even if it was a bit slow.
- I've been able to play my turn without problem (which makes sense since the problem des not come from my PC or the installed game itself)
- but after hitting the "confirm" button, the game just waited for about 1 minute and displayed an error message, like "Failed to load the game to he server. Please retry"

NB : the forums are very slow
gamercb
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by gamercb »

nyczar wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:06 am I am wondering about the extent this is not a problem for players. Is this a local issue to some or an impact affecting the entire MP communcity. If some players have not experienced an issue, please speak up. I am based in the US, maybe it is a regional problem?
I have just experience this problem and I am in the UK. I am also getting the following frequently when trying to access the forums or login.

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

I have emailed this to slitherine, though I even got this when trying to use Contact Us.
SpeedyCM

Post by SpeedyCM »

And I just tried to do more turns and it's not uploading again...
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

I find that in several games, ie not just FOG2, the multiplayer option is very unstable. Probably best to desist for a few days until Slitherine sort it out.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

From Slitherine . . .

Re: Server unable to validate your details error on Multiplayer

Post by Tamas » 02 Nov 2018 17:02

Hi Everyone,

The team continues to work hard on this. It's the result of a pretty heavy attack we are having trouble mitigating.

Apologies, and thanks for your patience!
edb1815
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by edb1815 »

Just as an update on this from the Steam forum, server issues not sorted as of 4 hours ago. I can barely get this forum to load in as well.

Question for the current season though - will the time limits be extended because of the server issues?
Barrold713

Post by Barrold713 »

I was just able to quickly process a few turns without any errors or problematic messages. Felt good man.
BDH
SpeedyCM

Post by SpeedyCM »

Yeah forum seems to be responding quickly, going to try and get some turns done.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

edb1815 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:52 pmQuestion for the current season though - will the time limits be extended because of the server issues?
What do people think? We have lost about 5 days so the season is still a day over 10 weeks long (I work on the basis of a 10 week season). I don't have a problem extending the tournament for another week until December 23rd. I will have to adjust the deadlines for the Themed event knock out stage, in any case.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Draws . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

Latest statistics - there have now been 18 draws from 366 results, which is 4.92% (or roughly 1 in 20). None have been agreed 0-0 draws, although one Themed Event match was adjudicated as a 0-0 draw. Apart from this match, all players involved in drawn matches have received one point each. There has also been just one tied match.
cromlechi

Post by cromlechi »

stockwellpete wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:43 am
SLancaster wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:23 am After saying that the devil offers restarts I do have a situation in one of my league games where my opponent is sitting up on a 300 metre hill with practically his entire army..

I am moving around but with only 24 turns I may not be able to make a lot of progress. I will post a pic when the battle is over. Looking like a draw to me.

Saying all this why would he want to restart? He has the high ground.
He might want a re-start if he realises that his position is impregnable and that you are not able to attack him there. If he just sits there then he is likely to end up with no points, the same as a defeat.
This was my game. I had no intention of just staying on the hill that was the presumption of my opponent. In fact SLancaster hardly moved and I managed to come at him from the right flank and gained a narrow victory. My opponent came no where near the hill. I think this illustrates that sometimes people jump too quickly to a draw. Obviously I declined his offer. If both players are patient and one is willing to take a risk to get a victory then things develop. :D
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Latest statistics - there have now been 18 draws from 440 results, which is 4.09% (or roughly 1 in 25). None have been agreed 0-0 draws, although one Themed Event match was adjudicated as a 0-0 draw. Apart from this match, all players involved in drawn matches have received one point each. There has also been one tied match.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Just a talking point from a match that finished this week . . .

nyczar (Arab City) barely defeats ahuyton (Arab Bedouin) 61%-43%. The battle literally came down to the last turn as ahuyton masterly fought an evasive battle when the weight of my numbers began to turn the battle in my favor in the mid game. He almost won a draw with some great play.

Really makes me wonder if defeats like this ought to be rewarded. Maybe something that rewards games that end after 20 turns with the defeated earning a 40% or more rout %. perhaps a split of 3-1 or something. I am sure this has been talked about before but to me an awesome defeat should merit more than a shout out, they should get a point.

The problem with giving 1 point for a defeat such as this is it would then score the same as a draw under the current points system, which I cannot agree with it. To maintain the differential between a defeat and a draw (and then between a draw and a tie and a tie and a win) would mean increasing a draw to 2 points, a tie to 4 points and a win to 8 points. I do not want to do this.

However, what I would be amenable to is keeping the existing points tariff at 4-2-1-0 and then adding a rule that says in matches where the defeated player scores 40% or more, the winning player will receive only 3 points instead of 4. A "marginal victory" amendment, if you like. So then we would have a points tariff of 4-3-2-1-0.

I do not want to completely re-open the discussion about points scoring system again as I think the current system is much more than satisfactory, but this amendment would fit quite nicely into the existing system, I believe.

What do you think?
nyczar

Post by nyczar »

stockwellpete wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:46 am Just a talking point from a match that finished this week . . .

nyczar (Arab City) barely defeats ahuyton (Arab Bedouin) 61%-43%. The battle literally came down to the last turn as ahuyton masterly fought an evasive battle when the weight of my numbers began to turn the battle in my favor in the mid game. He almost won a draw with some great play.

Really makes me wonder if defeats like this ought to be rewarded. Maybe something that rewards games that end after 20 turns with the defeated earning a 40% or more rout %. perhaps a split of 3-1 or something. I am sure this has been talked about before but to me an awesome defeat should merit more than a shout out, they should get a point.

The problem with giving 1 point for a defeat such as this is it would then score the same as a draw under the current points system, which I cannot agree with it. To maintain the differential between a defeat and a draw (and then between a draw and a tie and a tie and a win) would mean increasing a draw to 2 points, a tie to 4 points and a win to 8 points. I do not want to do this.

However, what I would be amenable to is keeping the existing points tariff at 4-2-1-0 and then adding a rule that says in matches where the defeated player scores 40% or more, the winning player will receive only 3 points instead of 4. A "marginal victory" amendment, if you like. So then we would have a points tariff of 4-3-2-1-0.

I do not want to completely re-open the discussion about points scoring system again as I think the current system is much more than satisfactory, but this amendment would fit quite nicely into the existing system, I believe.

What do you think?

This is interesting. For my note after my battle with ahuyton, my perspective was formed by looking at an individual battle. However, when i consider the context of league play and nine games per division, the 3 points makes sense to me. It provides an added incentive for battles to be fought out as the defeated player may still impact the final point tally and standings by denying his opponent the full three points. Moreover, this helps to separate players in that it would capture the degree that a game(s) was won. Said differently, there is a difference between a player going 5-0 and winning by never allowing a 40% rout of his own forces and one that goes 5-0 where one or more victories occurs after A 40% loss of their own force. If the tables allowed for it, i would suggest that a new column for "marginal loss" be included to show the nature of one's defeats. All in all, I think the 3 point amendment is good and allows for "capable losses" to have impact on the overall results.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

As the opponent in this excellent game, my perspective is as follows.
- Nyczar's army choice was better than mine. I took too many average lancers and lancer-armed light horse, which were hopeless against his arab medium foot,
- Nyczar won through steady but firmly aggressive play,
- At the end as I ran out of troops I did try to avoid defeat by running, which I thought was fair enough as my troops were mostly mounted and could not hold their own against well marshaled foot and cavalry,
- I lost on the last turn, but Nyczar deserved the win.

It was a terrific game in fact, which we both enjoyed.

On the more general point, I do think it would be nice to get a bonus point for doing significant damage to the winner. In some games, where they end 60-59 or something like that, it might all depend on a lucky rally and it is quite harsh to get nothing for your efforts. It should not be over complex and drive Pete mad, but perhaps a simple system of 1 bonus point to the loser for 50%+ losses inflicted on the winner would be a pleasant innovation and would cheer up the loser.

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”