The Dustbin

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

KiFi
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Early Middle Ages: winners post your results here . . .

Post by KiFi » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:41 am

lunecastle wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:20 pm
Division D

Artillery caught the Cataphracts early and stalled a great attack. Thanks for the game Kifi. All the best Lunecastle
The artillery units were the foundation of a great defense against the Persian cavalry. Regards, KiFi.

MikeMarchant
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by MikeMarchant » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Division D

MikeMarchant (Ghaznavid 962-1187 CE - Allies: Turkish) defeated Garokan (Byzantine 963-987 AD): 64/47

An interesting for sure. A large collection of disconnected rough patches dominated the centre left of the field and two large, slightly disconnected woods sat in the Byzantine deployment area.

I deployed a lot MF in the rough ready to advance, hopefully to the woods, with a couple of quick dashed over open ground, and my cavalry and elephants sat slightly to the right of the MF facing open ground, with a decent separation from the woods ahead.

Very little of the Byzantine army was visisble to the Ghaznavids at the opening stages, just a little HF and cavalry to the left of me MF. My MF advaced through the rough towards the woods and I depstached my LH to scout, hoping to find the rest of the Byzantine army. My cavarly and elephants remained in situ, not wanting to advance until I had some idea of the Byzantine dispositions.

No sign of the enemy early on, and my scouts found only LF in the woods. I sent a light cavarly force to my left flank to counter his cavalry threatening my MF's flank and the Byzantines won the early exchanges. My MF advanced into the woods, fought off masses of LF (with difficulty) and then came round to flank the Byzantine HF through the woods. The rest of my cavalry and my elephants hurried to my left flank to pin the Byzantine HF, allowing more flank and rear attacks from my MF and to turn the tide in the horse war the Byzantines were winning. It was clear by this stage that the remaining Byzantines had been hiding behind the woods and as they came around to join the fray my elephants got in amongst the enemy cavalry, fir neutralising and then routing, them.

Eve at the later stages of the battle, Byzantine LF were still streaming out of the woods, but pesenting more of an annoyance than a threat. The Byzantines on my left flank were routed and my forces turned to the centre, where a new enemy advance had taken place between the two woods. As my forced there were about to crumble, the reinforcement from my left flank turned the tide and it was game over for the Byzantines.

Really interesting battle, and Garokan was unlucky at the end of the day. Could easily have been a very different result.

Best Wishes

Mike

Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Classical Antiquity: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by Morbio » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:38 pm

Division B

Morbio (Roman 105-25 BC with Numidian/Moorish 55 BC- 6 AD allies) posted challenges for;

herm - Roman 199-106 with Spanish ally
IMC - Macedonian 320-261 BC with Greek ally
lydianed - Samnite 355-272 BC plus Gallic ally
Najanaja - Pontic 110-85 BC
phoyle3290 - Carthaginian (Hannibal in Italy) 216-203
Ulysisgrunt - Jewish 167-164 BC

PMs sent.

Morbio

Re: Late Antiquity: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by Morbio » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:50 pm

Division B

Morbio - Roman 197-284 AD with Arab 312 BC - 299 AD ally posted challenges for;

General Shapur - Kingdom of Soissons 461-486 AD
IMC - Roman 24 BC–196 AD with Sarmatian ally
NikiforosFokas - Sassanid Persian 477-590 AD
paulmcneil - Ancient British 60 BC-80 AD and Roman 24 -196 AD Ally
sunnyboy - Hunnic (Western) 376-454 AD with Germanic/Gothic Horse Tribes 260-492 AD ally

PMs sent

paulmcneil
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Themed Event: winners post your results here . . .

Post by paulmcneil » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:59 pm

Group D

paulmcneil beat iandavidsmith 56:29
Paul McNeil

Breogan
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Late Antiquity; winners post your results here . . .

Post by Breogan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:11 pm

Division C

Breogan (Gothic) defeated GDod (Jewish) 55%-28%

XLegione
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Classical Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by XLegione » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Division A

XLegione - Samnite 355-272 BC with Gallic 300-101 BC ally defeated Sennacherib - Pergaméne 190-129BC with Greek ally 227-146BC 62% - 41%

Ciao

Triarii
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: The Dustbin

Post by Triarii » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:56 pm

Any one else struggling with commiting game turns tonight? 23.55 GMT 23/10/2019.

MikeC_81
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MikeC_81 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:59 pm

Div A

MikeC Romans def XLegione Samnite 52-21
FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/

Geffalrus
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: Classical Antiquity: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by Geffalrus » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:42 am

Division A

Geffalrus (Antigonids) challenges youngr (Italian Hill Tribes with Latin flavor)

PW is older

PM to be sent.

GDod
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by GDod » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:06 am

Division C

GDod - (Arab (Conquest) 629-637 AD) beat markwatson360 - (Frankish 751-887 AD with Viking 790 -899 AD ally) 60 - 51

A hard fought slog!

(3-1)

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:37 am

Div D
vakarr (Thracians with Greek Allies) def Kifi (Macedonians) 53-14 ("Final Losses") or 50-19 (end of battle). The Thracians marched up one side of the battlefield on top of a flat hill that had some patches of rough terrain on it and were able to gain a local superiority at one end of the Macedonian line, which eventually collapsed (a pike phalanx actually exploded or at least disappeared in a puff of javelins). The Macedonians were slow to turn to meet the Thracians but put up a good fight, with the Thracians at 25% worried that they were going to have to fight the pikemen head-on but luckily some rallies took them down below that figure. A blow was struck for freedom from Macedonian tyranny this day!!! My first ever multiplayer game was against a Macedonian army, and I lost, it so it's nice to beat them this time.

GeneralKostas

Re: Late Antiquity: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by GeneralKostas » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:09 pm

Division D

Challenge for:

phoyle3290 - Lombard 568-569 AD, password=lombard, PM Sent

sunnyboy
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by sunnyboy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:39 pm

Div C

Sunnyboy (Scots) beat GDod (Arab Conquest) 66-42

A coastal map with some woods further reducing the battle frontage favoured the Scots. Fearing they would be outflanked the Scots set up defensively. After a few turns of skirmishing the Arab unleashed a furious frontal assault. The huscarls and shield wall were able to hold up the veteran Muslim spearman long enough for some mounted huscarls to traverse the forested flank and fall on the Arab left from behind to secure a bloody and hard-fought win.
Thanks for the game Gavin, it was looking like a draw until the final couple of turns. Well played and kudos for taking the game on.

SnuggleBunnies
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:28 pm

Division A

SnuggleBunnies (Carthaginian (Hannibal in Africa) 202BC) defeats Triarii (Carthaginian (Hannibal in Italy 216-203BC) with Samnite allies) 63-39

Cheap Phoenician foot, cavalry, and skirmishers held the shaky right flank long enough for the left to be victorious and begin rolling up the line.

GG

Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:41 pm

Division A

Geffalrus (Antigonids) and XLegione (Samnites and Gauls) fight it out to a bloody draw, 58-38

Initially, neither player wanted to commit their heavy infantry as the Samnites held a dominant defensive position on a low ridge with rough patches, anchored by a rocky mesa. To gain an advantage, both sides did the dance of the skirmisher. Much violence between scantily clad men was accomplished, but no decisive result was achieved. The Antigonid phalanx did a few shuffle step maneuvers to see how the Samnites would react. The Samnites in turn, ignored the complex choreography and stayed on their ridge. Depressed by the cold reaction to their dance number, the spirits of the Antigonids were raised when they noticed that some Samnite units had left the mighty mesa in support of the skirmishers currently chasing the Cretan archers. Throwing caution to the wind, the Antigonid phalanx pivoted and marched to engage them with lancers and thureos racing ahead to tie them down. The Samnites were quick to act, and set off in pursuit of the pursuers. The Antigonids were unable to reach the high ground before they were forced to turn and confront the Samnites.........on open ground. A tremendous and bloody clash ensued. The Antigonid pikes swatted down Samnite mediums where they could, but sheer numbers started to tell, and the pikes were gradually outflanked. Complete disaster was averted when the Antigonid cavalry returned on the scene to drive away the Samnite horse and allow the elephants to go on the offensive into the flanks of the Samnite infantry. Two times was victory almost secured, and then snatched away by the clutch rally of a Samnite unit far, far away from the action. Night fell, and the battered armies were forced to withdraw.

Good game to my worthy opponent.

Darkness brings an end to a bloody afternoon.
Screen_00000738.jpg
Screen_00000738.jpg (517.89 KiB) Viewed 468 times
Please consider the below artwork as a more succinct description of what the battle was like:
Bloody Draw.jpg
Bloody Draw.jpg (35.3 KiB) Viewed 468 times
(2-2)

XLegione

Post by XLegione » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:46 pm

Great report Geffalrus, are you a writer?

Bloody battle, a lot of emotion and fun I received from it, probably you deserved the victory but the fate decided for another result.

Thanks for the game.

Ciao

XLegione

Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:57 pm

XLegione wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:46 pm
Great report Geffalrus, are you a writer?

Bloody battle, a lot of emotion and fun I received from it, probably you deserved the victory but the fate decided for another result.
Non-professionally. I find it's a good way to add extra spice to things I enjoy.........like gaming and ancient history. These matches can be crazy fun, and I feel compelled to share the twists and turns.

Fate is a fickle mistress - that much we all know. I'm smart enough to know that I should always, ALWAYS have some light cav available to deal with such things. And yet, they always get caught up elsewhere. You're very capable skirmishing saw to that. :wink:

herm
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by herm » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:16 pm

Div B

herm (romans) beat IMC (macedonians) 40-5

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:36 pm

Early Middle Ages             A-D Tables.jpg
Early Middle Ages A-D Tables.jpg (799.76 KiB) Viewed 481 times

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”