Classical Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

Bluefin
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Classical Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by Bluefin » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:59 pm

Division C

Bluefin (Kappadokian) defeated MikeMarchant (Seleucid with Jewish Ally) 43-13.

With "O Fortuna" playing as a backdrop, the inspired Team Kappa charged like a pack of wild chihuahuas toward the Seleucid army without worry, overwhelming their opponentswith its large number of medium troops. Taking advantage of some early skirmishes that went it's way (except for that Marsh Man), Team Kappa was able to claim victory.

Thanks for the game -- we always seem to have some pretty good match-ups!

Bluefin
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Bluefin » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:05 pm

Division C

Bluefin (Kappadokian) defeated Tresantes (Pyrrhic) 61-55.

Not sure how this came about as Team Kappa spent most of the time expecting those pike and pachyderm to run over it's medium troops. But hope grew as it's cavalry got some big breaks and then held on for the win.

Thanks for the game -- fun battle!

(3-1)

rs2excelsior
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by rs2excelsior » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:32 am

Division D

rs2excelsior (Roman) beat bomber23 (Syracusan) 45-16

The field was fairly open, which favored the Roman legions. A single unit of Thureophoroi posted on rough ground on a hilltop and the Roman cavalry screened the right flank, while the main body crashed into the Syracusan right. Despite the disappointing performance of the detachment of elephants--fragmented almost immediately by arrow fire and routed by light cavalry, no less--the legions went to work, shattering the hoplites opposite them. The Roman right flank was under serious pressure, but the legions wheeled about and began surrounding the Syracusan hoplites and phalanxes in the center. Assaulted in the flanks, a Syracusan general fell while trying to re-form his fragmented phalanx, which caused the entire formation to break, resulting in a general collapse of the Syracusan army.

A screenshot of the final turn of the game, with the legions preparing to continue their assault along the Syracusan line.
20191115192500_1.jpg
20191115192500_1.jpg (580.47 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Good game bomber, very enjoyable.

Morbio
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Morbio » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Division B

Morbio (Roman 105-25 BC with Numidian/Moorish 55 BC- 6 AD ally) defeated phoyle3290 (Carthaginian (Hannibal in Italy) 216-203) 53 - 28

Cunningcairn
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Cunningcairn » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Division A

Cunningcairn - Ptolemaic 55-30 BC with Roman 105-25 BC ally beat MikeC_81 - Roman 199-106 BC with Greek 227 BC ally by 70% to 35%

fikabo
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by fikabo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:35 pm

Division C

fikabo (Jewish with Romans) defeated Bluefin (Kappadokian) 53% -14%

When game start I was afraid of number of Bluefin units. With help of enclosure I avoid flank attacks and horse attack on left wing.
On the right wing I had to constantly maneuver to avoid attacks from the flank. Skirmishes disrupt many units and then attack of heavy infantry generate chain rout frequently.

fikabo
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by fikabo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:14 pm

Division C

fikabo (Jewish with Romans) defeated Dzon Vejn (Saka with allies) 62:35%

I made a mistake when choosing units to play: I only selected infantry and skirmishes (no horses or elephants) and I had to fight with an army of horses.
I thought that in this configuration I have no chance to avoid attacks from the flank, so I back to enclosure at the end of the map.
Only my skirmishes take an open battle with tragic consequences.
I kept the infantry in enclosure with only a few counterattacks outside and tried to destroy every horse that goes inside.
I was hoping that would draw this game, but at the end of the game I managed to destroy all the heavy horses (Dzon Vejn had only some nomad arches, one elephant and many skirmishes), so I decide to attack.
I manage to route the Elephant and 2 or 3 Nomad arches (using my light horse as the first attack, and then, when Nomad arches are not evade, I attack on foot). I won at the last moment (in round 24).

I think a draw would be fairer.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:00 am

Classical Antiquity            A-D tables.jpg
Classical Antiquity A-D tables.jpg (952.73 KiB) Viewed 416 times

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:00 am

Weekly round-up
Unbeaten in 7 matches Geffalrus (Antigonid) is still on top in Division A, but harveylh (Syracusan) moved a bit closer with his fifth win this week. Further down the table both MikeC_81 (Roman) and Triarii (Hannibal in Italy) could still put in a late challenge if they end the season on a winning run but it would need something special from both players including victories in their matches against Geffalrus. MorkinTheFree (Pontic) is now odds-on to be relegated in his first season in the top flight. Morbio (Roman) has blasted his way to the automatic promotion place from Division B after registering 4 wins this week, including a victory against the previous leader herm (also Roman). desertedfox (Antigonid) can take second place if he beats fourth-placed lydianed (SAmnite) in his last match. At the bottom Ulysisgrunt (Jewish) will be relegated for a second consecutive season unless he can get 3 points from his last 2 matches against oscarius (Thracian Hellenistic) and phoyle3290 (Hannibal in Italy) to move above Najanaja (Pontic). Still all to play for in Division C but fikabo (Jewish) is looking the most likely to take the top spot from current leader edb1815 (Thracian Hellenistic) after securing his fifth win from 5 starts this week. Further down the table batesmotel (Roman) and Karvon (Sarmatian) remain unbeaten and General Shapur (Spanish) has 3 wins from 4 starts. All three players are still to play fikabo. In Division D newcomer Schweetness101 (Hannibal in Africa) has won automatic promotion from Division D finishing 8 points ahead of three players who have tied in second place, namely cromlechi (Egyptian), SLancaster (Indo-Greek) and vakarr (Thracian).

Unbeaten runs of 3 matches or more
Geffalrus (Division A) 7 matches
harveylh (Division A) 4 matches
Sennacherib (Division A) 3 matches
desertedfox (Division B) 5 matches
Morbio (Division B) 5 and finished
batesmotel (Division C) 4 matches
edb1815 (Division C) 6 matches
fikabo (Division C) 5 matches
General Shapur (Division C) 3 matches
Karvon (Division C) 5 matches

Match completion rate (45 matches in total to be played in each division)
Division A - 36 out of 45 matches completed :D
Division B - 40 out of 45 matches completed :D
Division C - 31 out of 45 matches completed :D
Division D - 40 out of 45 matches completed :D

These are generally excellent match completion rates.

Player of the week
Morbio (Division B) with 4 wins this week winning automatic promotion to Division A. :D

XLegione
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by XLegione » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:04 pm

Division A

XLegione - Samnite 355-272 BC with Gallic 300-101 BC ally defeated Triarii - Carthaginian (Hannibal in Italy) 216-203 with Samnite ally, 54% - 29%

This was my last battle in the Classical division, one of the best I had ever played, Triarii thanks for the game!

Ciao

fikabo
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by fikabo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:14 pm

Division C

fikabo (Jewish with Romans) defeated MikeMarchant (Seleucid with Jewish Ally) 41-16

I was very surprised at the beginning of the game as my skirmishes diseappered one by one. At one moment result was 0:8.
My left wing has attacked with success enemy units (disrupted before by my skirmishes). My weaker right wing was safe on hill(>75m).
My center also on hill waited and tried to lock enemy center (lock help to his right wing).

oscarius
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by oscarius » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:16 am

Division B

oscarius (Thracians) defeated Ulysisgrunt (Jewish) 65 - 39

Despite both sides possessing strong skirmishing assets we were both eager to initiate the melee and both armies raced to meet. The zealots made no headway against my central pikes while lancers helped prop up my crummy Thracian infantry on the wings while the lighter cavalry outflanked. Strong firepower and aggressive mass cavalry use seem the best recipe for defeating the infamous Jewish Revolt lists. The new rules in particular seemed in my favour as the zealots struggled to make much combat stick with my lancers.

MikeC_81
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MikeC_81 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:37 pm

Division A

MikeC_81 (Romans) def MorkinTheFree (Pontic) 50-23
FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/

Karvon
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Karvon » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:11 pm

Division C

Karvon (Sarmatian) defeated Rob123 (Roman 105BC with Jewish ally) 47-16 for a 4-0 victory.

Forests secured the flanks of both armies. Some hills were mixed in on the enemy left. The Roman center was bisected by a fair sized patch of rough ground.

We deployed our massed irregulars in the woods on our right opposite the forest and hills on the enemy left. Half our light foot we deployed screening the medium foot. The other half of our light foot we deployed along the edges of the woods on our left. Three divisions of lancers deployed in line across the center between the woods. One division of lancers we hid behind the woods on our left. A pair of light horse we deployed on the far left beyond the forest.

The Romans deployed their legions in the center an elephant and some horse on their right Some light foot were on each flank and a few screening their center.

We sent our irregulars and light foot on a wide sweeping move across the hills and forests on our right targeting the enemy light foot. Our lancers we shifted to the left in the more open area between the forests on each flank targeting the enemy lights . A few lancers we pushed forward to fix the Roman center.

Our lancers swept the opposing lights away and got tangled up with some heavier infantry behind them. The troublesome elephant succeeded in stomping on several lancer squadrons but pursued beyond the safety of the Roman infantry and got shot down by our lights. The Romans wheeled their infantry to face the growing pressure and threats of our lancers fighting and massing on their right. Our medium foot and lights swept over the hills and thru the woods on our fight coming in on the rear of the Roman line. A few reserved lancers from our center charged in on exposed flanks adding to the growing carnage. More of the Roman infantry in the center broke and the battle was over.
Attachments
2019-11-20 Sarmation vs Roman.jpg
2019-11-20 Sarmation vs Roman.jpg (909.99 KiB) Viewed 277 times

rs2excelsior
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by rs2excelsior » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:23 am

Division D

rs2excelsior (Roman) beat KiFi (Macedonian) 64-41

The Roman legion met the Macedonians on a largely open field, with a rough terrain hill on the Roman left and another patch of level, rough ground on the right. The Macedonian phalanxes were once again reluctant to advance into range of the Roman artillery, so the legions stepped off, aiming for the Macedonian right. The aim was to slam the legions into the hoplites and thureophoroi on the right flank of the main Macedonian battle line before wheeling to face the phalanxes, who could hopefully be surrounded instead of forcing a protracted head-to-head melee, where the Romans would be at a disadvantage. The battle developed into three parts. On the left, the Roman medium infantry occupied the rough hilltop, backed up by by skirmishers. The Macedonian lights drove off their Roman counterparts, but the Macedonian mediums couldn't dislodge the Romans from their strong position. When a Roman thureophoroi from the main fight came around behind the Macedonian infantry the Greeks on that flank fled, and the remaining Roman infantry kept a unit of Macedonian lancers pinned down, neither really able to attack the other. On the right, the Roman cavalry harassed the Macedonian left, drawing off some of their hoplites and phalanxes for a time from the critical battle in the center. The main Roman legionary force quickly saw off the hoplites and thureophoroi opposite them and quickly outflanked the first group of Macedonian pikes, who broke in short order. With some help from the Roman cavalry to keep their flanks secure, the Romans wheeled about and engaged the remaining pikes. A couple of last-minute rallies of Macedonian phalanxes brought the scores alarmingly close, but the Romans were able to swing it back in their favor and push the Macedonian army into fleeing the field.

Another bloody victory for the Romans, with the ground where the main engagement was fought being scattered with the fallen:
20191121190819_1.jpg
20191121190819_1.jpg (629.09 KiB) Viewed 220 times
Thanks for the battle KiFi, and to my other opponents in the tournament. This battle closes out my first section of my first season of this tournament; I've had a lot of fun and learned a lot about how multiplayer differs from single player. Looking forward to seeing you in the next season!

bomber23
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by bomber23 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:05 am

Division D

bomber23 Syracuse defeated Ki Fi Macedonians 61-50

(3-1)

MikeC_81

Post by MikeC_81 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:21 am

Division A

MikeC_81 (Romans) def Sennacherib (Pergamane) 43-9
FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:59 pm

Division C

batemotel (Romans) beat GeneralShapur (Spanish) 43-14

Thanks for the game.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

MikeMarchant
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by MikeMarchant » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:30 pm

Division C

I am delighted to report my first win in this section:

MikeMarchant (Seleucid 124-63 BCE - Allies: Jewish) defeats Karvon (Sarmatian 350 BC-24 AD) : 50/23

The score is not at all representative of the game. This was a tough slog against a predominantly lancer army and the game was won by the 'Battle of the Big Forest' between medium foot from both sides. It ought to have ended in a draw, with the Seleucids unable to push the Sarmatians over the line until the very last turn.

Bad luck Karvon and thanks for the game.

Best Wishes

Mike

Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:51 pm

Div A

Geffalrus (Antigonids) and Triarii (Hannibal in Italy) agree to an honorable draw of 27-36.

Seeing the open land with few hills and little rough terrain ahead of them, the Antigonids experimented with an aggressive approach of mass pikes, max light cav, no foot skirmishers, and thureos and cavalry in support. Worried that the cheeky Hannibal would escape across the river running up one side of the map and force a 0-0 draw, the Antigonid cavalry rushed forward to try and seize the ford. Completely unnecessary as it turned out. The Carthaginian cavalry were all massed on the opposite side of the field from the ford with skirmishers in tow, while the infantry were all hidden behind a far hill and in some woods (some elephants attempted to hide in a small villa, but were actually visible from turn 1). The Antigonids changed plans and vowed to chase down the cavalry and deal with the hidden infantry later. The Antigonid left flank phalanx and cavalry pursued the elusive cavalry, while the right flank phalanx wheeled about to join them.

Then - TRAGEDY. Some wily Numidians snuck around behind the lines and charged a phalanx in the rear. And didn't bounce off. Oh the indignity. Even worse, this happened in range of some advancing Samnite infantry. The rest of the pikes turned around to try and support the exposed phalanx, but it was no use. Unable to kill the Numidians........like at all......the pike unit was flank charged by multiple impact foot units, quickly routing it from the field and disrupting much of the rest of the formation. One pike squared up and tried to escape, but was quickly surrounded. Fortunately, the left flank was successful in catching a large portion of the Carthaginian cavalry and skirmishers, as well as the prospective home-owning elephants.

As such, both armies found themselves over 25 points with not many turns to go. The Anitgonid infantry was completely outnumbered by the Carthaginian foot and unwilling to mount an offensive. Furthermore, most of the Antigonid cavalry was off the field pursuing routed foes. The pikes turtled up, while the thureos retreated to some rough ground. Unable to reach the now VERY cautious Antigonids before night fall, the Carthaginians proposed a truce and a mutual burying of the dead.

Good game Triarii. An excellent contest of maneuver, hide, and seek.

Triarii finishes murdering my pikes, while I trap half his cavalry against the map's edge and gain some measure of vengeance.
Screen_00000028.jpg
Screen_00000028.jpg (463.92 KiB) Viewed 133 times
(2-2)

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”