A couple of suggestions...

Rasdel
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

A couple of suggestions...

Post by Rasdel » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:49 pm

First of all let me tell you I registered to say thank you... thank you for a great WH40k game. I've been waiting for a WH40k 4X game like this for ages, and I am just glad it's finally here.

That said, I will give some suggestions and small twicks that based on my experience I honestly think could improve the overall game experience.

COLOR PALETTE
I know this is the grim darkness of the future... but maybe adjusting the palette a little bit would be good. The game looks great, but it also looks a little bit washed out. There have been many Warhammer 40k games out already and most can reflect the dark setting without having washed out colors. I honestly think that if you could do anything about it, it will improve the overall feel of the game for the better. Why change this?

* Personally, the game is very intuitive but because of the grey palette I sometimes miss certain "special features" on the map simply because they blends with the envirorment so I got to zoom in to make sure not to miss anything.

* Wildlife look too plane. A little bit of color to each creature would also make the planet feel more alien and alive. Kroot Hounds look amazing in the starting cinematic but then look so grey ingame and Catachan Devils could have a redish color to make them pop more, just to name some examples.

* I have a hard time telling water from terrain in the mini map, I even got problems recognizing the borders of the map while playing. I try moving my units to then realize they are pretty close to the border and I haven't noticed. Water is too dark in the minimap, it could look a little bit brighter and the fog of war and map border look too dark and similar. A game that I think has done this right is Age of Wonders 3, the clouds are lighter and they not only look more realistic but also makes the map easier to navigate.

UNIT SOUNDS
Now, this will make the game heavier but I think it will be worth it. Plus I don't think you need to add too many quotes. Why change this?

* I honestly think it will add a lot of life to the game.

* It's not needed to add different quotes to every unit. Most infantry units could share the same quotes, so having a couple of quotes to each action could be interesting. Hero units could have their own quotes to make them more unique, but the rest of the units don't need different quotes in most cases I think.

* Written quotes are fine. But this will clearly be better. My only extra suggestion. Make them chapter/faction independent. By this I mean, even though after watching the cinematic we can clearly state that Space Marines are Ultramarines (for example) don't make them mention anything related to the chapter in game... this is a small thing but I think fans will appreciate their red "Blood Angels" not mention Roboute Guilliman (even though the Captain has an Ultramarine Helmet on... could have been better a helmet less captain but that's just asking too much I guess).

FUTURE RACES
I am not gonna mention what I want but simple state that the main thing this game needs is factions that feel different. This is it's charm. Personally I only play with Space Marines and Astra Militarum in WH40k games so I got what I want, even though I hate Necrons, they are pretty unique and very well implemented. But I honestly think this game need to keep the factions feeling very different. The only faction I think this game can't leave out... is Tyranids. Why add them?

* Not cause I like em... cause I don't but I love playing against them... and honestly who doesn't... they are the faction that every other faction fears. Plus they are the most unique one in the fact that they are not technically an army, but a huge mass of monsters just trying to devour everything.

* If they can't be implemented as a faction per sei, they should/could be implemented as an Event. Where they just invaded the map or something like that. Maybe a "meteor" falls somewhere on the map and they just start popping out of it. Could work like a "Catachan Devil Lair" and the players would need to assualt the site to stop the invasion or something.

DIPLOMACY
This game doesn't need diplomacy... even though it has been stated that some races have been known to fight along in times of need... but I don't think this game really needs diplomacy... but trading... this could work. You could trade resources, special features and maybe even add something like a X amount of turn truce. It would NOT be a diplomacy mechanic... but it could feel like it adding a simple yet deeper layer to the game. Could be a special winning condition for Tau if ever added (manage to get a truce with every remaining faction) or even get certain bonus while on a truce or something... again IF they are ever implemented into the game.

HOTSEAT
If there is ANY way to implement this, this would be a 4X dream. Factions play really differently and that is honestly great. But being able to play with another player in the same pc would be simply amazing. I wouldn't even care if it happend in the same "turn". In other words... If the game would considered both players as "one" sharing the turn while playing with both factions and using the same resource pool... even if it also ment passing the mouse back and forth when moving through units (it's messy but I don't care, I need something close to hotseat for this game XD).

GENERAL OPTIMIZATION
I believe this is something that will come with time. But please don't overlook it. I can run the game in the highest setting yet the cinematics drop to 9 FPS... which is really weird. And I have had a crash that prevented me from finishing a map (when reloading the map the crash happened again). It's not a big deal, it happened only once but still.

Overall this game is amazing and I am glad we got it. I just hope to hear some news or teasers about the new factions you guys are working on. As a small disclaimer I honestly think that every WH40k game needs the following 5 classic races to be epic... Space Marines, Eldar, Orcs, Chaos and Tyranids. DoW I was great but it lack the Tyranids and even though they added Sisters of Battle and Dark Eldar people wanted Nids... DoW 2 wasn't as good (IMHO) but it had the perfect faction roster. Even though I really like Astra Militarum better I honestly think those 5 are a must.

Cheers!
- "Walk softly, and carry a big gun" -

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: A couple of suggestions...

Post by zakblood » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:07 pm

welcome to the forum

ErissN6
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by ErissN6 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:31 pm

Rasdel wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:49 pm
thank you for a great WH40k game

COLOR PALETTE
The game looks a little bit washed out, because of the grey palette I sometimes miss certain "special features" on the map simply because they blends with the envirorment so I got to zoom in to make sure not to miss anything.
* I got problems recognizing the borders of the map while playing. I try moving my units to then realize they are pretty close to the border and I haven't noticed. The fog of war and map border look too dark and similar.

GENERAL OPTIMIZATION
I can run the game in the highest setting yet the cinematics drop to 9 FPS... which is really weird. And I have had a crash that prevented me from finishing a map (when reloading the map the crash happened again).

Overall this game is amazing and I am glad we got it. I just hope to hear some news or teasers about the new factions. I think that every WH40k game needs the following 5 classic races to be epic... Space Marines, Eldar, Orcs, Chaos and Tyranids. DoW I was great but it lack the Tyranids. DoW 2 wasn't as good.
Yeay.

DErdrick

Post by DErdrick » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:13 am

Rasdel wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:49 pm
COLOR PALETTE
UNIT SOUNDS
FUTURE RACES
HOTSEAT
Definitely all of this.

Color palette options would be great not just to potentially improve readability but also to allow players to represent their factions as part of a sub faction.

Unit sound would make things much more lively and provide some great flavor potential. Also, having the random lines tied more to a units current condition might be nice.

Future races. Just yes. All the yes. Not gonna tell you how you should prioritize them but I'd love to see all the factions eventually available for this game, a future sequel, or future 40K project as Slitherin grows.

Hot seat? I'm honestly surprised this isn't already in the game. It's such a basic feature and staple of the genre. I don't see anything mechanically preventing it from being included, and it can't be as hard to deal with as net code.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War: Suggestions”