Movement Path Hotkey

DErdrick
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Movement Path Hotkey

Post by DErdrick » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:04 am

First of all, I want to say I'm really enjoying this game so far. With the release of my favorite space bugs, I've finally jumped in. So far I've found the game satisfyingly challenging and I've been forced to think outside the normal 4X box quite a few times.

One thing that caught me by surprise initially was the one click movement rule. In other 4X games, you can usually move a unit a step at a time. But to my surprise, searching out with my first termagants, I discovered a step move had used up all their movement. And I actually think this makes for a great mechanic. Rather than creep forward a click at a time to try and avoid ambushes, you have to decide whether or not to risk running into the fray or move more cautiously each turn.

But their is one thing I am finding frustrating with the one click move.

As battles have gotten larger, I've been needing to pay close attention to where retreating units are and make sure I move in ways that minimize the additional fire I take from overwatch. But to my continued annoyance, I often find that my units will select paths that run them right by units waiting to fire. Even with plenty of empty tiles well out of range for them to maneuver through, my units will occasionally pick a path that I don't want them to take. I've looked all over online to see if you can control the path your unit takes through a click and drag or shift click method. But it seems like once the game has picked the path your unit will take, there is nothing you can do to change it. It's either take that path and the shots, or pick another tile to move to.

I think this game sorely needs this feature.

One click move should definitely stay. If I don't know a threat is there, I should have to decide whether to move cautiously or risk charging in.

But if I know the threats are there, and there is a perfectly safe route for my unit to take, I shouldn't have to abandon a move because the computer decided my hormagaunts want to run through an obvious gauntlet of bolter fire.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War: Suggestions”