Seleucids - How does this army handle?

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

GeneralLee
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Seleucids - How does this army handle?

Post by GeneralLee » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I finally picked up a new FoG army in a trade, an Old Glory 15 "Seleucid" army. It's an interesting looking army, complete with pikes, heavy cavalry (which I love), and war elephants (which has me intrigued). So, does anyone have any experience with the Later Seleucids? If so, what can you tell me about how the army handles?

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Seleucids - How does this army handle?

Post by batesmotel » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:58 pm

The biggest problem with the army is there are too many good troop types to include all of them in a normal sized army. As long as you can exercise enough discipline to figure out how you want to make the army work and buy your troops accordingly it should do quite well. The army is short on LH but is definitely one of the strongest Successor armies if you resist the temptation to buy one of everything. As with most HF based armies, you may find yourself frustrated when facing a skirmishing mounted opponent.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by grahambriggs » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:02 pm

It's a good army and there are lots of permutations possible. Some of the permutations are more effective than others. It seems to do best as a 'combined arms' army but it's possible to go too far and get one of everything which will be very difficult to co-ordinate.

mbsparta
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by mbsparta » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:27 am

One neat thing about the Seleucid army (and FoG) is that if you do pick one of everything you get to see how a lot of different rules/BGs work; Elephants, Cats, Scythed Chariots, pike, impact foot, etc. It is a great army to learn a lot about this game.

Mike B

DrQuahog
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DrQuahog » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:02 am

If you check out the army rankings based on popularity-
http://www.slithdata.net/files/fog/rankings.html

you'll see that Seleucids are far and away the most popular FoG army - in fact used 50% more than any other.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:12 pm

I think the answer is definiately buy the quality pike. Then buy whatever will allo you to deliver them into contact.

See madaxeman's latest reports from lisbon where he face two.

Zephyr40k
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Zephyr40k » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:42 am

hazelbark wrote:I think the answer is definiately buy the quality pike. Then buy whatever will allo you to deliver them into contact.

So then... the Superior pike is better than the imitation legionaries? Is that because they're a better value? Or is it just because you can never have too many pikes....

ethan
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by ethan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 am

Zephyr40k wrote:
hazelbark wrote:I think the answer is definiately buy the quality pike. Then buy whatever will allo you to deliver them into contact.

So then... the Superior pike is better than the imitation legionaries? Is that because they're a better value? Or is it just because you can never have too many pikes....
Imitation legionaries can be an acceptable alternative - but they are different than pike and having them will change the character of the army.

Fluffy
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Fluffy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:13 pm

I run Later Seleucid as my standard anciet army (have done since just before FoG came out 8) ).

I go for combined arms, 12pk and 2x4 legionares working with 2x2 elephants, 2x4 cats and 1x4 elite cavalry (only have 8 bases of cats and it does not matter all that much), plus some skirmishers to round off.

Works well if you plan right/ coordinate foot and mounted, can go wrong if you are not careful; which makes it fun to play.

Return to “Army Design”