What Size For LRR Legionary BGs?

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

mbsparta
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

What Size For LRR Legionary BGs?

Post by mbsparta » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:43 am

I am getting ready to play a series of games: Caesar vs a variety of Gallic, German and British barbarians. My opponent usually fields his warriors in 12s.

I used to have 4-stand legionary BGs but have swirtched to 8s for V2 games. I was curious what other players were doing with legionaries? Of course a LRR army with 8-stand legionary BGs gives up a lot of BGs ... An interesting dilemma >>> Brittle BGs or Brittle Army?? haha

Thanks for any feedback

Mike B

grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: What Size For LRR Legionary BGs?

Post by grahambriggs » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:39 am

A clubmate used to run LRR in v1 with 2 BGs of 8 and a few of 4s and that was very effective. I certainly think you should have some 8s. Since the warband stick around longer, the fragility of the 4s will be an issue

8s will help with second moves (i.e. a TC can move 16 bases if they are in 8s, only 8 bases if they are in 4s). Also, committing a general to fight with an 8 give his benefit to more dice. On the other hand, you don't really want less than 11 BGs at 800 points in my opinion so some form of compromise may be needed.

ethan
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: What Size For LRR Legionary BGs?

Post by ethan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:32 am

I agree a mix of 8s and 4s would be most effective.

Return to “Army Design”