A couple of questions about Dacians

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

helot2000
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

A couple of questions about Dacians

Post by helot2000 »

I'm thinking of a painting up Dacians.

1. Anyone have a pic of the Old Glory 15mm Falxmen? Xyston has Thracian Falxmen/Bastarne but I'd like to see what the OG look like before I decide which figures to use.

2. Most importantly, are the Dacians fun to run? It looks like 24 bases of Superior Heavy Weapon Falxmen would be key. In our FoG group, 4 of our 6 players have Romans and I have to run against them repeatedly. Dacians would be the antidote to being steamrolled by Romans. Am I right about that?

In advance, thanks!
paullongmore
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: A couple of questions about Dacians

Post by paullongmore »

I am not convinced that Dacian is your ideal army if you expect to face Rome.
Assuming you are playing V2 so that the skilled sword doesn't trump the Hvy Weapon. Falxmen are minus at impact and even in melee. They are less manoeuverable being undrilled but cheaper.
The other Dacian warriors are even at impact and down in melee (ignoring that they are only average).

If you want to beat Romans the armies which will be most successful in FOG are the same as historically i.e.) mounted.
In theme cats and some LH bow or non-themed Heavily armoured Kn.
IanB3406
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by IanB3406 »

I find the falxmen hold up very well considering how cheap they are, and you can have a big Sarmation contingent that is very useful against Romans.
helot2000
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by helot2000 »

Paul, I appreciate your honest opinion. If I do go forward with this, it will be knowing their shortcomings.

Ian, I've worked up a draft list and like you suggest, the key parts are 24 bases of Superior falxmen and a Sarmation ally bringing in Lancer/Armored/Superior cavalry. In period, they're second only to cataphracts. By running 4 commanders, I can be a slightly more maneuverable undrilled army in v2, I think.

Our group plays mostly in period and BC so the Romans are the ones who give me trouble time and again.
stecal

Post by stecal »

IanB3406 wrote:I find the falxmen hold up very well considering how cheap they are, and you can have a big Sarmation contingent that is very useful against Romans.
Ditto, I have found the same. The superior falxmen in 8's can take care of themselves allowing the dacians to put all their commanders with the weaker warband blocks. The Sarmatians are still the other key element.
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Return to “Army Design”