Whats a good point level to start at ???

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

kcisco4491
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Whats a good point level to start at ???

Post by kcisco4491 »

So i picked up a starter army worth of early crusaders is the starter army points level good enough to get the basics of the game and still have a decent size battle? I have played a few demo games with my buddy and i like the dynamics but i want to make the battles bigger but still be small enough to learn.
Robert241167
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Re: Whats a good point level to start at ???

Post by Robert241167 »

Hi there

In the UK there are a few competitions run at 650 points on 5 foot by 3 foot tables.

I can recommend this as a good start.

Rob
gozerius
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by gozerius »

Starter armies are 600 points or a bit under. 650 points allows a few more troops without getting too much bigger. A good way to go is take your starter army and then flesh it out bit by bit until you get to 800 points. Then start adding extras.
As far as learning, start with the basics and add special troops as you get the hang of things. Early Crusaders are knights, spears, crossbow, and mob - pretty basic. Once you get the basic interactions down, add a BG of turcopoles to get a feel for horse archers. Start with light horse because as skirmishers they are easier to maneuver than undrilled cavalry. One drawback of the starter armies is that they were designed before the imposition of command limits, so you may want to fiddle with the BG composition.
Thracians
Classical Indians
Medieval
-Germans (many flavors), Danes, Low Countries
Burgundians
In progress - Later Hungarians, Grand Moravians
kcisco4491

Post by kcisco4491 »

Thank you very much I appreciate the advice and ill give it a try.

Return to “Army Design”