Later Medieval Scots - Continental

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

AlanCutner
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Later Medieval Scots - Continental

Post by AlanCutner »

This list indicates the Scots armies in France were a copy of the English armies, ie. dismounted men-at-arms and longbowmen. I have no reason to disbelieve this and don't question it. However longbowmen were not available in large numbers in Scotland, and a longbow skill is not something that can be developed at short notice so I have various questions/observations

1. Were the longbowmen hired from disaffected or mercenary English/Welsh or other Free Companies?
2. If the answer to 1 is 'yes' why are they undrilled in the Scots list but drilled elsewhere?
3. If the answer to 1 is 'no' where did they come from?
4. Why didn't any of the longbowmen find their way back to Scotland to fight in the domestic campaigns?
spotteddog
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: Later Medieval Scots - Continental

Post by spotteddog »

Here are my considered responses as the wielder of this competition tiger at Schiltron this weekend ......

1. Were the longbowmen hired from disaffected or mercenary English/Welsh or other Free Companies?

Hired? Don't be ridiculous. We'd have had to pay for them!

2. If the answer to 1 is 'yes' why are they undrilled in the Scots list but drilled elsewhere?

Sorted.

3. If the answer to 1 is 'no' where did they come from?

Erm ........ Essex (miniatures!)

4. Why didn't any of the longbowmen find their way back to Scotland to fight in the domestic campaigns?

Ah - Easy! Would you make your way back to Easterhoose after a year or two down Bordaeux way? Seemples!

Hunter
petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Later Medieval Scots - Continental

Post by petedalby »

Just make sure that whoever is using said army, and of course the list checker, are up to speed on the errata that changed this list significantly.

Link here - it's on page 3 but there are no pictures. :(

http://www.fieldofglory.com/file/FoG_Errata_V1_17.pdf

P.26 Later Medieval Scots (Continental)
The bases per BG for archers in main list should be 6-8.

I hope that hasn't spoiled any cunning plans.
Pete

Return to “Army Design”