Sassanid Persians ?

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Keith wrote:Here is what I have so far , just rebasing now and will need a few more figures to finish them off.
The army you have chosen would do for an early Sassanid army before 350 AD.

Subsequently there are less light LH archers and more armoured cavalry archers, graded
Cavalry, Armoured, Superior, Bow, Swordsmen
PELAGIUS
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Sassanid Persians ?

Post by PELAGIUS »

[quote="Keith"]I
Can anyone help me work out what my levy spearmen with bad hats are ?

*Plain wrong ;-) I think they were invented in the 1970's by Hinchliffe figures after looking at some Achaemenid processional reliefs.

*Yours disgracefully

*Pelagius
Jhykron
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Jhykron »

To open the other can of worms,

Any chance of a "drilled" option for the cavalry?
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

There is indeed a chance :D
Keith
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Keith »

What about MF options for Sassanids ?
I have cataphracts , horse archers , I'm hoping to have a valid early list with my Poor HF and some LF archers , but do we get any MF options in the main list ?
immortal
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by immortal »

Will the sassanids have options for field defences such as pits to smash unwary Byzantines. Will there be any options for the multiple arrow firing thingie?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Keith wrote:What about MF options for Sassanids ?
I have cataphracts , horse archers , I'm hoping to have a valid early list with my Poor HF and some LF archers , but do we get any MF options in the main list ?
Up to 8 hillmen (MF, protected, light spear) or, later, Dailami guardsmen (MF, Superior, Protected or Armoured, Impact Foot, Swordsmen).
immortal wrote:Will the sassanids have options for field defences such as pits to smash unwary Byzantines.
These caused us some problem as they don't really have the characteristics of FF under the rules - which have no effect unless defended.

I think these pits are probably best represented as a scenario specific rule - I would treat them as an invisible strip of rough or difficult going.
Will there be any options for the multiple arrow firing thingie?
No. Which field battle was this used in?
Keith

Post by Keith »

Thanks
Will knock up some MF .
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Will there be any options for the multiple arrow firing thingie?
No. Which field battle was this used in?
I assume he means the bizzaro thing illustrated in the Osprey on Sasanid cavalry - I undertand that it is a misinterpretation of the term for rapid shooting techniques :o
immortal

Post by immortal »

The weapon is called a "panjagan" five device....Sort of like a crossbow that fires 5 arrows at once, used to shock effect. Probably a gimmick I imagine.
micron
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by micron »

HI

I read in the osprey that there is some elite and guard regiment in the army , any chance of having some in the army list ???

I purchase some later clibanarii from old glory , they look more like cataphracte Than horse archer !!!!!!! half barded horse , complete armour whith lance.
Is there a difference between the early an later clibanarii ???

Thanks
Ironhand
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Ironhand »

You are, I presume, talking about the "Immortals" and the "Gyanavspar" (sp?). I don't know that there is any evidence that they were sufficiently exceptional to warrant an upgrade. "Cavalry, Armoured, Superior, Bow, Swordsman" is pretty good as it stands for a basic troop type.
dougm
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Bad Hats

Post by dougm »

Yes, regrettably the bad hats are a misinterpretation of a poor illustration of a rock carving. Much better to use something either more Skythian or Persian in appearnace and spangenhelm or similar for armoured types. Sasanian ones had a particular dished profile when viewed end on.

I ended up cutting the hats off all my AB figures and replacing them with Milliput moulded helmets/hats.

As for the multiple firing thingy, I believe the consensus is that there were aids to shooting that allowed the rapid discharge of multiple arrows, but not simultaneously. Re-loading in any case would have been horrendous and accuracy questionable. The rapidity of Sasanian archery techniques (so-called 'shower shooting') is well attested, but at this scale of representation probably doesn't require any special rules.

regards

Doug M.

Return to “Army Design”