Latin Greece / Catalan Company Ally

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

ItalicaAcies
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Latin Greece / Catalan Company Ally

Post by ItalicaAcies »

Hi all!

I'm planning my new year (2015) army...I would like to have some opinions on the viability of my army list and some advise on the miniatures to use..thank you!

LATIN GREECE with CATALAN COMPANY ALLY (801)

FC TC 85

3x4 KN knight sup h.armored drilled lancers sw 276
2x6 LF archers av unprotected undrilled bow 60
1x4 LH Turcopoles av unprotected undrilled bow sw 40
1x6 MF crossbowmen av protected undrilled crossbow 36

Catalan Company FC 40

3x8 MF almughavrs sup protected drilled offensive spearmen 240
1x6 LF almughavrs av unprotected drilled javelin light spear 24

MINIATURES
  • Knight: I really like Legio Heroica feudal range (1230-1250), but 4 poses seems too few to me, even if compatibility is a big issues, here I need help, maybe Alain Touller? Unluckily the website is close for maintenance this period...
    Almughavars: Eureka, of course!
    Almughavars skirmishers: well..no idea at all
    Crossbowmen: I like Mirliton, but I don't know if they're good with Eureka...
    Archers: supposed to be Greek archers, I don't know, maybe from Byzantine ranges?
    Turcopoles: mirliton Saracen light horse could be fine, but I'm not sure...

Edit: I was suggested to use Outpost cavalry both for Turcopoles (Turkman outpost minis) and Knight...what do you think about it?
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Latin Greece / Catalan Company Ally

Post by hazelbark »

For the list.
I've often looked at this and not enjoyed it.
You do not want this few generals.
The Catalan ally it is really asking a lot for an ally to command 3 battle units. I only pick 2 8s. If the ally LF is not needed maybe get rid of that.
You need to bulk out some more with more LF.
The Greek CV Lancers while average are not horrible if some of the time a TC may be nearby. They can protect a flank for a few turns which is going to be the challenge with this army as most period opponent will have more LH

Figures.
They are on vacation by Khurusan has nice ones and integrate well with Legio Heroica. But I don't know if they cover this time period.
I think they now have Almughavers.
I like Outpost. But the mounted will be a touch smaller and thinner than the rest.I use Outpost islamics so I don't know their byzantine range. Legio will be nicer
MDH
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MDH »

I have a 28mm Grand Catalan Company army .

I recently bought some Eureka almughavrs to supplement the Essex and Perry medieval types I had bought some time previously to represent them with a mix of postures and I adapted and trimmed various spare weapons I had to represent the "iron " small bucklers and shields etc. ( Usually I use them as impact foot.)

I was not that pleased with the quality of the casting and metallurgy I have to say - too soft especially the spears which are rather bendy so won't last well and don't much look like offensive spear or impact foot type spears to me . And the poses where not that great. They also look a bit too Persian or middle eastern so don't fit well or mix with the other figures at all .

I have seen and got other Eureka figures which are really rather good so I was disappointed. So not worth the significant extra cost for me - in the UK. But if you have seen them and like them or you are talking 15mm that may be different .
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

I have Eureka 15mm Moogs. I like them. More offensive spear than IF. Too long to chuck
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by grahambriggs »

I think your knights are undrilled not drilled as you wrote yes?

Mirliton might be an option for the knights - a lot of variety and nice figures.
ItalicaAcies
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ItalicaAcies »

Thank you all for replies...

Hazelnark, I'm quite new in FOG and my only army (early Byzantines/federate romans) only sometimes is run with some hunnic allies, so can you explain me better why I ask too much to Catalan Company ally?

MDH in 15 mm sorry, I didn't specify..I like (from the pictures) Eureka mooghs, even if it would cost at least twice the money touller would... But the French minis don't look how I imagine mooghs...essex are fine with my ideal, but isn't as much money saver and has got less variety. ..

I'm thinking about going for a morphing army, starting with Early crown of Aragon, then adding pieces to use it as Latin Greece+Catalan and Aragón late Sicilian...

The heraldry is easier to find too... Closing an eye they can be played as generic feudal army, I just have to buy some conventional infantry
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

ItalicaAcies wrote:Thank you all for replies...

Hazelnark, I'm quite new in FOG and my only army (early Byzantines/federate romans) only sometimes is run with some hunnic allies, so can you explain me better why I ask too much to Catalan Company ally?
With 4 BGs the general has too much work. Moving units, bolstering morale once disrupted. Does he fight with one unit? No as the other 3 will need help.
ItalicaAcies
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ItalicaAcies »

I suppose even 3 mooghs BG are too much, in this case...this push me towards Early Crown of Aragon...

Maybe I change the topic title...
gozerius
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by gozerius »

It works well during the initial move to contact as the 3rd BG provides rear support to the other two with a screen of LF up front, but MF, OSpear is not what I call super troops. Impact foot might be a better option.
Thracians
Classical Indians
Medieval
-Germans (many flavors), Danes, Low Countries
Burgundians
In progress - Later Hungarians, Grand Moravians
ItalicaAcies
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ItalicaAcies »

Anybody compared essex and touller almughavars with Mirliton communal infantry? Since the price is very high I must give up my idea of using Eureka miniatures...I'd like to mix Essex and Touller with some Mirliton (infantry advancing long spear)..any suggestion?
ItalicaAcies
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ItalicaAcies »

Ok man, I changed my Army List.
I hope you like knight army.

Latin Greece / Catalan Company 801 pt

TC TC

4x4 knight sup h.arm undr. lanc/sw
3x6 LF unpr Av undr. bow
1x8 MF unpr Av undr xbow
1x4 LH unpr Av undr bow sw

aTC
2x8 MF pr sup dr off.spear
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

gozerius wrote: MF, OSpear is not what I call super troops. Impact foot might be a better option.
This is a very depends option. I must admit I often go the impact route, but it depends on the overall army mix.

Impact foot are all about the impact. if they don't win that they are often stuffed. For terrain they are very power as they will usually generate a POA against whomever is guarding terrain and being superior probably have a good chance to win impact.

But after impact protected sword is about like most else. and often down to armor.

Off Spear less at impact but if steady will deny enemy their sword.

I have found the Off Sp is better at holding on. impact tend to win fast or not at all if protected.

In a world where you think there are knights. The Off Spear is better as if it is steady it denies the enemy sword or lance. So steady OS is better. Once disordered both impact and OS are in dire straits.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

ItalicaAcies wrote:Latin Greece / Catalan Company 801 pt

TC TC
4x4 knight sup h.arm undr. lanc/sw
3x6 LF unpr Av undr. bow
1x8 MF unpr Av undr xbow
1x4 LH unpr Av undr bow sw

aTC
2x8 MF pr sup dr off.spear
So you have 1 pt too many.
The weakness now it 4 knights and only two generals. I love 4 knights. But for a beginning player you will find 2 TCs very limiting once the army engages.
Check your LF can they be taken as poor? If so they all go to poor frees up 36points and you get a general and can return that 1 point too many.

Poor LF work great, just don't expect them to beat enemy LF and withdraw them before serious stuff starts. then the Knights and Mugs do the hard work.
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

Good advice from Dan.

I've not checked your points but your MF XB must be Protected.
Pete
azrael86
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by azrael86 »

Tried this a few times, and yes, it's not ideal. As Dan said, hard to manage all the moogs, though I have Essex, touller& eureka at. 15 and eureka are the best.
You probably need to choose between Latin with a few mf, or proper Catalans either the company or a Spanish variation.
There's also a lit of things you've left out that can help your unit count and do a job.
The Latin lf b, or even mf b can be poor, which makes it very cheap.
There's Greek lancers, Catalan cavalry and lh plus Albanian cv all handy to work with the kn against shooty stuff.
For instance
Latin fc 2 tc 120
2*4kn 184(304)
4*6 lf b 72(376)
4 lh 40 (416)
4 Greek cav 52(468)
Ally tc 25
2*8 mf 160(653)
4 lh 40 (693)
4 cat cc 64(757)
6,8 mf b 42(799)
ItalicaAcies
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ItalicaAcies »

I'm back :) still working on the list...so far I've ordered Eureka Almughavars. Still looking for Touller feudal..any suggestion?

An other Draft:
LATIN GREECE 800PT

FC TC
3x6 kn
1x8 MF xbow
1x8 HF pr def.spearmen
2x6 LF bow

Ally TC
1x4 LH Cuman
1x8 MF Mooghs

Added some Spearmen to have a more solid defence in open..

Return to “Army Design”