Storm of Arrows - Competition Armies

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Quintus
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Storm of Arrows - Competition Armies

Post by Quintus » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:10 pm

It's early days but is the tendency in competitions for gamers to field 15th Century armies, i.e. heavier knights and heavier infantry?

Has there been a major recruitment in mercenary Swiss Pikemen?

babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:36 pm

I suspect that it is far to early to tell. And, anyway, I have a strong inkling that FoG will turn out to be the sort of game system in which there is no one dominant strategy. (There will certainly be any number of piss-poor strategies, but that's another issue entirely.) If Kn become too common they will naturally attract anti-Kn strategies to prey upon them.

Having said that, Kn are very powerful troops and will probably do very well in the early stages of FoG when a lot of players are still stuck in the line-'em-up-and-go mind set. However, as players develop skirmishing skills the Kn might find themselves playing the role of bull in the bullfight. I think that it takes 5-6 games to start to get the hang of skirmishing.

Marc

neilhammond
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Storm of Arrows - Competition Armies

Post by neilhammond » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:51 pm

Quintus wrote:It's early days but is the tendency in competitions for gamers to field 15th Century armies, i.e. heavier knights and heavier infantry?
Not that I've seen during playtesting. They are popular (partly because the lists are available), but not over-popular. Their main weakness is that they are expensive troops - so you either have a small army which can be outflanked or you pad it out with weaker units, which are vulnerable.

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:18 pm

There are comp results from Usk and Burton here - http://www.fieldofglory.com/hallofhonour.html - each of which had a medieval competition, the Burton one was Storm of Arrows.

rtaylor
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Storm of Arrows - Competition Armies

Post by rtaylor » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:07 pm

neilhammond wrote:[Knights'] main weakness is that they are expensive troops
Since knights fight in a single rank, when you look at them in terms of cost per base of frontage, they no more expensive than decent cavalry and less expensive than cataphracts. However, I'm discovering knights' vulnerability to death rolls when they do engage in a single rank. If they match up 4 bases vs. 8 enemy bases in melee, they could face a nasty death roll even when they don't lose. And that's without overlaps.

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:32 pm

Swiss are fine as long as they don't end up fighting an army of mounted archers. Against most historical opponents they have a lot of punch and can generally manage to get stuck in somewhere. They are not a dominiant army though as there are plenty of ways to beat them.

Knights are fine until you start taking death rolls. They really need a 'spare' base in the rear or even two to make them really effective, then they are very expensive.

I have yet to find a truly dominant troop type although superior armoured offensive spear are a very tough nut to crack with anything.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:43 pm

The other thing I have found is the knightly lancer types become very vulnerable once you can deflect one of their POA.

Receiving the attack uphill or uneven terrain.

Also the KN suffer brutal attirtion.

The trick is can the infantry survive the cohesion test. So having a general and rear support really matter.

Also having narrow BGs of foot. So the KN are getting great numbers of hits on the foot makes it easier for the Foot to avoid the CTs. I.e. go three ranks deep if you have the forntage.

Then drive in on the flanks of the KN.

Luddite
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Luddite » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:45 pm

hammy wrote:Swiss are fine as long as they don't end up fighting an army of mounted archers. Against most historical opponents they have a lot of punch and can generally manage to get stuck in somewhere. They are not a dominiant army though as there are plenty of ways to beat them.
I'll attest that.

Put a Swiss army in against a Burgundian line.

Now admittedly, the Swiss won 6:1, mostly due to the vicious mauling we achieved against the Burgundian flanks (knights charging the front of a pike block are pretty much dead before the dice are rolled...but chased to the table edge by a pike block supported by skirmishing handgunners, they really didn't have much choice!).

However, pikes heading straight into the Burgundian centre bow/artillery line fared very poorly. Twice the pike advanced, took horrendous fire, routed out of range and reformed for another go. But during the whole game we couldn't get the pikes into contact...the shower of arrows and cannon balls was just too much...

Lessons learned all round...

carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by carlos » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:40 pm

hazelbark wrote:The trick is can the infantry survive the cohesion test. So having a general and rear support really matter.

Also having narrow BGs of foot. So the KN are getting great numbers of hits on the foot makes it easier for the Foot to avoid the CTs. I.e. go three ranks deep if you have the forntage.
1. Narrow your foot
2. Charge knights and fight melee using generals + rear support to avoid failing the CTs
3. Put something behind knights
4. Knights have to fall back but can't so go down cohesion level
5. WIN!

davidandlynda
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by davidandlynda » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:09 pm

I suppose the 1st big test will be The BHGS Challenge in April,Rise of Rome and Storm of Arrows go up against each other
David

Return to “Army Design”