1 DBx Army = 1 FOG Army?

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Brainsnaffler
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

1 DBx Army = 1 FOG Army?

Post by Brainsnaffler » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:30 am

:oops: Sorry to drag out the forum posts about basing etc. but I am dying to pick up Field of Glory at Tripples in Sheffield imminatnly. I have not really got into ancients until now and I really want to buy the book and an army to get started.

I understand the basing widths, but I would really like to know - if I buy a 6mm Army pack (based for 25mm DBx), would that be enough to play FOG or would I be looking at needing more units to complete my army?

Please help!

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Re: 1 DBx Army = 1 FOG Army?

Post by hammy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:35 am

Brainsnaffler wrote::oops: Sorry to drag out the forum posts about basing etc. but I am dying to pick up Field of Glory at Tripples in Sheffield imminatnly. I have not really got into ancients until now and I really want to buy the book and an army to get started.

I understand the basing widths, but I would really like to know - if I buy a 6mm Army pack (based for 25mm DBx), would that be enough to play FOG or would I be looking at needing more units to complete my army?

Please help!
It depends on the army pack really. In general a DBM army is about the same size as a FoG army. I am assuming you are looking at a baccus army, if so which one?

Brainsnaffler
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Brainsnaffler » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:48 am

Ha! Yes, Baccus - I really want a Macedonian army, but I want to get playing right away, so I am looking at a republican Roman army. Just been looking again actually, and they only sell it in 15mm Ground scale (not that that's a problem).

So, would a Republican Roman army pack from Baccus 6mm complete my army?

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:19 pm

Looking at the baccus site it would seem that their DBM armies are only worked on 2 strips per base which if you deploy on a 40mm frontage will give a single rank of figures and IMO look less than brilliant.

A 600 point mid republican Roman army (the starter army from the lists) comprises:

3 commanders
16 bases of Hastati and Principes
4 bases of Triarii
8 bases of velites
8 bases of cavalry
and 6 bases of Italian allied foot

The baccus pack contains in strips (and I think you would really want 4 strips per base)

40 x Hastatii / Principes
10 x Triarii
5 x Veles
8 x Roman Cavalry
4 x Scutarii
2 x Balearic Slingers
8 x Celtic Warband
4 x Celtic Cavalry

Brainsnaffler
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Brainsnaffler » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:34 pm

:) This is a great help, but I think I'm going to either have to ask them to make up an army pack and work out the costs or, buy two army packs and have spare units left over!

Oh well, as big as it is, it sure would look impressive on the tabletop and beat painting a 28mm army!

Svejk1914
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Svejk1914 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:58 pm

Might look at the Baccus Warmaster army packs.

You would still need a few single packs to fill it out though.

For instance in the Early Republican WMA army you get 5 units of Hastatii/Principes, which amounts to 15 bases, so you would need an extra pack.

Return to “Army Design”