DBEs in FoG, and Greek Hoplite Armies

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

RichardD
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

DBEs in FoG, and Greek Hoplite Armies

Post by RichardD » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:17 pm

Does FoG use/permit any double-based elements? If I'm reading it right, it makes no specific provision for them, but it might be convenient to have troops based two ranks deep where you'd always field them at lest that deep, with a few extras to make change for casualties - correct?

I've got a Late Hoplite Greek (Theban) army where the cavalry (8 bases) has been double-based with supporting infantry skirmishers (permitted under a certain older ruleset). What can I do with these for FoG? Is it time to start rebasing??

And finally, my army has 5 stands of Theban Sacred Band - am I going to end up scratching around trying to paint up a sixth to match the other five to form a Battlegroup (I bet the answer is "yes")?

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: DBEs in FoG, and Greek Hoplite Armies

Post by nikgaukroger » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:24 pm

RichardD wrote:
Does FoG use/permit any double-based elements? If I'm reading it right, it makes no specific provision for them, but it might be convenient to have troops based two ranks deep where you'd always field them at lest that deep, with a few extras to make change for casualties - correct?
No double based elements in FoG - however, as you surmise you can use them as long as you have a few elements spare to make change.

RichardD wrote:
I've got a Late Hoplite Greek (Theban) army where the cavalry (8 bases) has been double-based with supporting infantry skirmishers (permitted under a certain older ruleset). What can I do with these for FoG? Is it time to start rebasing??
I'm afraid this will be a rebasing job :?

RichardD wrote:
And finally, my army has 5 stands of Theban Sacred Band - am I going to end up scratching around trying to paint up a sixth to match the other five to form a Battlegroup (I bet the answer is "yes")?
You win your bet - you'll need 6 (or indeed 8 IIRC).

Jhykron

Re: DBEs in FoG, and Greek Hoplite Armies

Post by Jhykron » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:34 pm

nikgaukroger wrote:
RichardD wrote:
No double based elements in FoG - however, as you surmise you can use them as long as you have a few elements spare to make change.
The biggest drawback is going to be in shifting around stands in melee. But it works great for movement convenience, plus it can help if you have figures with protruding weapons... with 30mm deep bases, a double depth of pikemen with their pikes at 45 to 60 degrees can fit on the stand without their weapons getting stuck on their opponents stands in melee.

Return to “Army Design”