Army Design Theory

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

ethan
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Army Design Theory

Post by ethan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:18 pm

I would be interested in seeing what some of the more experienced FoG players have to share on actually buying and arranging an effective army list.

Anyone have any advice, examples (good or bad), or general thoughts on army lists and orders of march?

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:12 am

Given that I'm still losing more games than I'm winning I'm not sure advice I give should be followed :lol:

However, in terms of order of march I find that if you have MF that you're likely to fight with it can help no end if they go down in the 3rd or 4th batch for deployment as they have the potential to be a bit vulnerable at times - ditto elephants.

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:35 am

Ethan,

When I have some idea of what I am doing I will put something together. Unfotunatley at the moment while I love playing FoG I have yet to get to the point where I know how to impose my self on an opponent. I know when everything has gone wrong but reversing this is proving difficult.

I would agree that if you have an offensive MF arm then deploying it late is a good idea. Deploying reserves early makes sense as they can by definition redeploy.

ethan

Post by ethan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:02 pm

OK well I will step out on a limb and post my early thoughts.

These are based solely on Hellenistic/Classical period stuff, so may not be appropriate elsewhere:

- I have come around to the idea that putting out the big heavy troops in the second, and perhaps even first, quarter is probably the way to go. While there are undoubtedly situations in which you would have preferred not to do this, in general it is probably best. Why?

Your armies deployment is going to be based around them. If you are dropping 32 Pk stands they are the core of the army, you have to support and protect them. FoG troops are maneuverable enough in general that they can get into the fight so you don't need to deploy them "reactively." Yes it will give away where your center of mass is going, but if you put them out 3rd or 4th you are going to wind up leaving a pretty big "hole" where you want them anyway.

A partial exception might be something like a Carthaginian list I was playing the other night mostly composed of lighter troops, minimum spear, maximual medium and light foot and horse. The long spear group isn't the center of the army here, and in fact needs to go out late so that it isn't in a vulnerable position alone.

I also think in these kinds of armies putting out an early drilled, cavalry group (even quite high quality) that you plan to deploy in reserve seems a good idea. Again it isn't putting out much more information than where your center of mass is located. Opponent might see "bunch of Pike in middle with elite cavalry behind in reserve." You want to make it as hard as possible to match up against you flank as possible. As an aside I think deploying second is a huge advantage. The last deployment is, so far as I can tell, really effectively the "first move." Done right the opponent should be forced to react to that last quarter going down just as much as if it had moved first.

Here is a deployment issue I can't decide on: Should a LI screen in front of the HI deploy 15MUs in ahead of the HI or just attach it to the front of the HI so they all move as one group?

Here is a "theory" I want to try on deploying a classical army with a balanced mix of HI, MI, LI, Horse. Maybe 12 groups, 4 HI, 2 LI, 2 MI, 3 Cv/Cataphract, 1 LH.

(1) 3 HI
(2) 1 Cv(reserves), 2 LI
(3) 1 HI, 2 Cv/Cat
(4) 2 MI, 1 LH

While it looks like weak troops going down last, the idea is that they are mobile and this gives you the best chance of putting them somewhere they can do some good and away from anything too dangerous. The LH last also gives you something to react with if the enemy puts down a late Elephant. The 4th block of HI going down 3rd let's you have some flexibility with your phalanx and you can "shade" it over to one side or another after th inital bunch goes on table. The LI going second let's you put them forward as a screen OR attach them to the front of the phalanx.

I would be interested to see people's tournament army lists and any thoughts on why they think they worked or didn't work well?

davidandlynda
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by davidandlynda » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:24 pm

I've come up with a variation of the skirmishing tactic used at Burton doubles for the upcoming Leeds doubles if it works I'll put it up with my ideas,but don't hold your breath :)
David

Return to “Army Design”