650 pts Alexandrian Macedonian list for review

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

fredrik
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

650 pts Alexandrian Macedonian list for review

Post by fredrik » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi all,

Going through my collection of hellenistics I've come up with the following 650 point starter army for alexandrian macedonians, I'd appreciate any input on the composition and validity of the list:

1 x C-in-C (Inspired Commander) @ 80
1 x Subgeneral (Field Commander) @ 50

12xFoot Companions (heavy foot, average, drilled, protected, pikemen) @ 6 = 72
8 x Agrianian Javelinmen (light foot, superior, undrilled, unprotected, javelins, light spear) @ 5 = 40
8 x mercenary hoplites (heavy foot, average, drilled, protected, offensive spearmen, spearmen) @ 8 = 80
8 x Iphikratean hoplites (medium foot, average, drilled, protected, offensive spearmen, spearmen) @ 8 = 64
5 x Cretan Archers (light foot, superior, drilled, unprotected, bow) @ 5 = 20

2 x Stone throwers (heavy artillery, average, drilled) @ 20 = 40

4 x Greek heavy cavalry (Cavalry, Superior, drilled, armoured, light spear, swordsmen) @ 17 = 68
2 x Elephants @ 25 = 50
4 x Companions (cavalry, superior, drilled, armoured, lancers, swordsmen) @ 17 = 68
4 x Paionian Light Horse (light horse, average, undrilled, unprotected, javelins, light spear) @ 6 = 24

A bit light on pikemen, I know, but it's what I've got at the moment. Thoughts and comments?

richnz

Post by richnz » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:24 pm

Couple of thoughts:

I wouldn't take an FC and an IC. Better off with IC and 1 or 2 TCs.

Stone throwers are not worth the points.

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:07 pm

I agree with Rich on the commander choice, and IC is fine but you really won't get any benefit from an FC as well.

The artillery are unlikely to be a good buy so I would look for an alternative.

Also you cannot have a BG of 5 Cretans :( 4 or 6 but not 5, odd numbers of bases are in general not allowed.

Other than that it looks a decent list and worth a try.

fredrik

Post by fredrik » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:57 pm

Many thanks gentlemen, new list in the works... :)

miffedofreading
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by miffedofreading » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:16 pm

650 points I would say you really need 3 generals only one of which should be anything other than a TC

will05
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by will05 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi
I have one of these armies too and have it at about 500 to 550 points. I've only played it twice and both against my Republican Romans and solo.

I recon that with these rules commanders are very important and take all I can. So I have an IC, FC and TC. This means that the FC can hang on the back of the heavy infantry battle line and the TC can troubleshoot, and the IC (Alexander) can do what he does and lead the companions in the flank attack.

In this setup the companions work very well, and if they are used with the agrianians I can sometimes get a flank attack on the unit I am charging, or difficult ground can be screened.

pezhetairoi

Post by pezhetairoi » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:24 am

Greetings Fredrick.

This is a favourite army of mine.
Depending on what you are going for, I'd like to make a few suggestions.
If you are going for a competitive list, I can't help you much, I'm still learning.
If you are going for a better representation of Alex's army I'd like to make a few suggestions...
I know you're likely straining for points with the figures you have, but this would be the ideal.

Like you said, more pikemen, you've got the right idea. 2-3 blocks 8 I'd say.
I'd drop the elephants. He died before he could make much use of those. Little mention of them in the texts. The artillery was also seldom used in the field, only one text (Arrian) claims he used them as cover to cross a river once.
Pick up some Thracians. I think there were about 7000+ hanging around. Good medium foot, handy for massacres etc...
Are the Iphikrateans representing the Hypaspists? Likely a good match. You'll need those guys -- key players.
Call the greek Cavalry the Thessalians, and you're set.
As for the Hoplites, they were there, but they never seem to be part of the stories. I'd drop them to get the other stuff.

Good luck. Hope you find some Persians.

Return to “Army Design”