Marian/Caesarian Roman Army at 650 points?

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

RichardD
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Marian/Caesarian Roman Army at 650 points?

Post by RichardD » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:21 pm

How does this list look:
1 Inspired commander, 1 Troop Commander
4 BGs each of 4 bases of Legionaries (Heavy Foot, Armoured Superior Drilled Impact Foot Swordsmen)
3 BGs each of 4 bases of Veteran Legionaries (Heavy Foot, Armoured Elite Drilled Impact Foot Swordsmen)
1 BG of 6 bases of Archers (Light Foot, Unprotected, Average Undrilled Bow)
1 BG of 4 bases of Heavy Cavalry (Cavalry, Protected/Superior or Armoured/Average, Undrilled Light Spear/Swords)
1 Fortified Camp

OK, I confess that at least part of the object was to create as small an army as possible! Oh, and I don't want to have to paint too many scruffy-looking irregulars.

RichardD

Post by RichardD » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:44 pm

I can easily swap the Insired Commander for a second Troop Commander plus a Field Commander if C&C proves a problem.

Or an alternative list:
3 BGs each of 4 bases of Legionaries (Heavy Foot, Armoured Superior Drilled Impact Foot Swordsmen)
3 BGs each of 4 bases of Veteran Legionaries (Heavy Foot, Armoured Elite Drilled Impact Foot Swordsmen)
1 BG of 8 bases of Archers (Light Foot, Unprotected, Average Undrilled Bow)
1 BG of 4 bases of Heavy Cavalry (Cavalry, Armoured Superior Undrilled Light Spear/Swords)
1 BG of 4 bases of Light Cavalry (Light Horse, Unprotected Average Undrilled, Javelins/Light Spear)
1 Fortified Camp

Slightly fewer legionaries, but more/better options for the flanks at the price of painting some extra horses.

sagji
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by sagji » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:59 pm

I don't think you need the C-in-C as a IC - a FC in 25mm or a TC in 15mm is probably enough. I suspect you need more LF. Replace 1 legion with gladiators - they can provide rear support to the superior legions, and have 2 BGs of 6 LF. I would also look to squeesing in the elephants.

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:04 am

Nah go for the IC and even more legionaries!!

Go on be Cesar himself you knwo you want to. Creates a small but diamond tipped drilling machine. To hell with the flanks.

Si

Return to “Army Design”