Storm of Arrows design questions

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Blason
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Storm of Arrows design questions

Post by Blason » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:36 pm

Just finished reading Storm of Arrows, and I got a couple of questions about the designs choices made. Note that this is not a challenge to the author(s) choices, merely curiosity about the rationale that supported the design itself:

- In the Medieval French list you put the date of the move from Pavisiers to Voulgiers at 1400. On what did you base this choice? Having studied this subject these last years, I've not found any reliable source that mentionned this move, and was interested to have a hindlight in your design choices.

- In the Late Medieval Scots (Continental) list you have written 'Records show that unlike 'home' armies these contingents were made up along the lines of contemporary English armies with archers outnumbering men-at-arms by 2:1'. Just want to know which records you're are talking about. The only example of Scots using large amount of archers I'm aware of is the battle of Verneuil.

- In the Medieval English army list you have merged the billmen into the MAA elements, a rather radical (but interesting) departure from previous army lists dealing with the same subject. Just wanted to know what reasons are behind this choice.

Thanks for your answers.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Storm of Arrows design questions

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:46 pm

Blason wrote:In the Medieval French list you put the date of the move from Pavisiers to Voulgiers at 1400. On what did you base this choice? Having studied this subject these last years, I've not found any reliable source that mentionned this move, and was interested to have a hindlight in your design choices.
Received wisdom I fear. We found no new evidence one way or the other.
- In the Late Medieval Scots (Continental) list you have written 'Records show that unlike 'home' armies these contingents were made up along the lines of contemporary English armies with archers outnumbering men-at-arms by 2:1'. Just want to know which records you're are talking about. The only example of Scots using large amount of archers I'm aware of is the battle of Verneuil.
Check this out:

http://www.deremilitari.org/resources/a ... tcham3.htm
- In the Medieval English army list you have merged the billmen into the MAA elements, a rather radical (but interesting) departure from previous army lists dealing with the same subject. Just wanted to know what reasons are behind this choice.
The list actually allows you to field BGs representing anything from pure MAA (heavily armoured superior) to pure billmen (armoured average) or a mixture thereof (armoured superior).

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:06 pm

With respect to the billmen point I would also like to suggest that as the armies in question were quite retinue based splitting them away from their lord/paymaster would be incorrect for at least the hand to hand troops.

Return to “Army Design”