Question on the Rise of Rome lists

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

mdoolitt
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Question on the Rise of Rome lists

Post by mdoolitt » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:35 pm

What are people's thoughts on the different lists in Rise of Rome, their strengths and weaknesses, etc.

Perhaps more importantly -- what mental mindset is best suited for each army?

Thanks

Quintus
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Quintus » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:55 pm

I'd like to hear what other people think of these too, although I haven't got the list yet. "Rise of Rome" covers my favourite period and I like to hear its various armies discussed.

As for mindset - that is a perfectly valid way of looking at things; one of the interesting aspects of wargaming is that the commander gets to choose his nation and his army. However real-life generals were not so fortunate (save for exceptional individuals such as Philip of Macedon).

There is a strong temptation to use an army as a "game tool" and this is exacerbated by playing across periods. Is it a means of getting satisfaction? I'm not so sure. I suspect that a rewarding route to take is to find a nation and army you admire and learn to "express yourself" using that. I aim to field armies that I like, win or lose.

mdoolitt
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mdoolitt » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:46 pm

I was going to get a Late Republican army because I liked the HBO tv show so much, but my friend already went ahead and ordered an entire army from Xyston. So now I must find a reasonable opponent.

I had a Gallic army in DBA, but their regular defeats told me I was not suited for barbarians.

Quintus

Post by Quintus » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:56 pm

mdoolitt wrote:I was going to get a Late Republican army because I liked the HBO tv show so much, but my friend already went ahead and ordered an entire army from Xyston. So now I must find a reasonable opponent.

I had a Gallic army in DBA, but their regular defeats told me I was not suited for barbarians.
It sounds like a Hellenistic army is one for you, although by the late Republic it was hardly a good time to be a barbarian at odds with the Romans. Come to think of it, it wasn't a good time to be anyone but a Roman.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:57 pm

mdoolitt wrote:I was going to get a Late Republican army because I liked the HBO tv show so much, but my friend already went ahead and ordered an entire army from Xyston. So now I must find a reasonable opponent.
Of course one of the commonest historical opponents for Late Republican Romans was Late Republican Romans, but it won't make for very interesting games.

RichardD
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by RichardD » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:28 pm

That was going to be my suggestion too - ESPECIALLY if you are a fan of HBO's Rome, I can think of no more fitting opponent than more Romans. Caesar versus Pompeii, Mark Anthony versus Octavian ....

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:53 pm

I've put together ancient Spanish and late rep. Roman...both because I love the period and locations. They may never win with me commanding, but I love running them. Gauls are another tempting one...esp. if I make them Aquitanians with Spanish allies :)
Of course...Carthaginians are also on the horrizon (with Gauls and Spanish allies :) !
The later ptolemaic is also tempting.

The lists are tempting because they offer a variety...barbarian warband types, roman swords, just about everything.

Ironhand
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Ironhand » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:17 pm

I'm doing Seleucids - they were my very first Ancient army way back when, and I've always had a soft spot for them. Besides, I like the challenge of trying to beat the Mid-Republican Romans, and the Seleucids are a very interesting army.

Another thing is that with some extra troops, I should be able to morph the army into one or more variations of the Early Successors as well, thereby giving me the equivalent of an extra army or two for very little additional cost.

mdoolitt
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mdoolitt » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:43 am

The Seleucids look diificult to coordinate all the veried arms into a cohesive attack.

Are they a finesse army? Striaght ahead and charge?

Ironhand

Post by Ironhand » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:31 pm

mdoolitt wrote:The Seleucids look diificult to coordinate all the veried arms into a cohesive attack.

Are they a finesse army? Striaght ahead and charge?
That's part of the fun of it - learning to coordinate all the different parts. It's also probably a good way to learn the rules, since they touch almost everything.

I suspect they require a certain degree of finesse, despite the presence of some really tough shock troops like the Companions and Cataphracts. I think more than some armies, the Seleucids really have to adapt their tactics and deployment to the opponent they're facing.

Return to “Army Design”