Hasmonean and Herodian Armies

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Unclemeat
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Hasmonean and Herodian Armies

Post by Unclemeat » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:44 pm

I am building a 25/28mm Later Hasmonean/Herodian Judean Army. The lists look fine, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for figure manufacturers? I found some figs from RAFM in Canada and Newline. I am assuming many troops would have worn equipment copying other more major powers like Selucids for Pike and Theorophoroi and Romans for the Impact foot. Irregular makes some Hebrew Priests with Torah Scrolls and Trumpets. Any idea if these would be large enough to fit in with other figures? or would they look shrimpy? I purchased a few begging Budhist Monks and they were more like 20mm.

Thanks,

Bob

Ironhand
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Ironhand » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:53 am

I think you're pretty much on the money for troop types, although I'd consider Seleucid "Roman" Argyraspides for the Roman-type infantry. I don't know of too many manufacturers who make that Army in 25/28MM.

Irregular are definitely smallish for 25/28MM. Fine if you have a whole army of them, but they don't mix well with say Foundry or Perry or Old Glory.

Unclemeat

How about Newline?

Post by Unclemeat » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:22 pm

I just saw a list for Newline Miniatures and for an old line SKT that Amazon bought. Have you seen any of these?

Ironhand

Post by Ironhand » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:45 pm

No I haven't, sorry.

Kineas1

Post by Kineas1 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:40 am

I'd recommend scrolling through the giant Wargames Foundry catalogue and doing some conversions--a few head swaps and so on. Have you got an art theme? Like--a book with pictures from which to take your figs? often better to start there, and THEN look for figs when you can say "oh, yeah, sold as a Medieval bishop but with a head swap he'll make a (insert desired figure).
I spend money on books first...

Unclemeat

Book choices

Post by Unclemeat » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:47 am

I have the Judah maccabee book from Firebird that came out about 10 years ago. I have Osprey's Rome's Desert Frontier. I am expecting good things from the new Herod's Army book by Osprey coming out in the fall.

Return to “Army Design”