Peasant Revolt

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Quintus
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Peasant Revolt

Post by Quintus »

The Romans have their revolt led by Spartacus, it seems a shame that the English don't have their Peasant Revolt. I always fancied such a list. Does anyone have one? Might we see an "official" one in the future that might be used in competitions?
Last edited by Quintus on Mon May 05, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Probert
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Probert »

Lots of mob and poor levies I would imagine.
Later Carthaginians (853 pts)
Medieval Swedish (591 pts)
Later Achm'd Persian (424 pts)
Luddite
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Luddite »

Probert wrote:Lots of mob and poor levies I would imagine.
Aye, but i also suspect a good number of decent troops, rebellious militia and well-trained men-at-arms. The 'peasants revolt' (1377) against the 1st Poll Tax (led by Wat Tyler, John Ball, Jack Straw, etc.) was actually a relatively well organised (if spontaneous) insurrection. The rebels were not confined to the lower classes either...many tradesmen and upper orders were involved in resistance to the Poll Tax.

When Jack Straw led the Essex men into Stepney (london), the expected mob riot was actually a well disciplined and systematic attack on the property of the local noblemen and governors...

The peasant forces were so superior to the noble forces for some time, that castle gates were flung open to seek their mercy and the rebellion was only put down by politics, not on the battlefield...

Although there were violent clashes, as far as i recall, there are few if any accounts of open warfare...

:?
Rudy_Nelson
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Rudy_Nelson »

Most areas have 'Peasanr Revolt' events. From ousting a colonial Chinese power to the Koreans who constantly had revolts for centuries.

Such armies around the world could be found.

Seeing Army Lists for such events ? I would not guess what they are working on but their are a lot of major armies thave o be considered or developed according to the few books that we have seen so far.
So a peasant Revolt army section would not seem to be able to be high on their priority list.
SirGarnet
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by SirGarnet »

There are already a few revolting army lists to play with. These are famous armies that were successful for a time and could give a decent game, but most revolts didn't have a chance.

Generic lists won't have any color - the circumstances of revolts will differ so much that I think one needs to start with the political/cultural scenario and develop an army composition based on that. For peasant revolts this may have bits and pieces from the original army list, some of which might be downgraded in drill, quality, or weapons, plus a large number of standard characters such as Disgruntled Peasants, Unprotected, Undrilled, Poor Mob @ 2, some upgraded to Bow*, Angry and Determined Peasants, Unprotected, Undrilled, Poor, Impact Medium Foot @ 3, and the odd Rebels on "liberated" horses, Unprotected, Undrilled, Poor LH @ 3. This could be a lot of fun for a tabletop mini-campaign or role-playing scenario, but in a tournament the hacking down innumerable rebels might get tedious for both sides.
ars_belli
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ars_belli »

"Sire, the peasants are revolting!"

"You said it! They stink on ice."

(Mel Brooks as King Louis XVI of France, History of the World, Part I)

Cheers,
Scott
hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy »

You could treat the peasants the same as the poorly armed masses in the slave revolt list, average unprotected mob light spear. They aren't as bad as you might think. Add in a couple of battlegroups of better troops, archers, billmen etc and you would have a plausible peasant revolt list.
Rudy_Nelson

Post by Rudy_Nelson »

One interesting thing about peasant revolt armies in Korea is that some include unhappy nobles, guerillas trinaed in many forms of Hand to hand and weapons, warrior monks and disaffected soldiers from a losing noble faction.
SirGarnet

Post by SirGarnet »

Rudy_Nelson wrote:One interesting thing about peasant revolt armies in Korea is that some include unhappy nobles, guerillas trinaed in many forms of Hand to hand and weapons, warrior monks and disaffected soldiers from a losing noble faction.
All at the same time? Just ally-generals rather than subs?
Rudy_Nelson

Post by Rudy_Nelson »

Due to the rivalry between Shilla-Paekche-Koguryo, there were often unhappy nobles from the group not in power. After internal factional fighting for the throne even a Shilla may revolt against another Shilla for example. This even extended into the Koryo era as well.

In addition to the Noble in cahrge and his mounted retainers and private funded army of professional foot soldiers, you could have (poor rated) local cavalry raised by the peasant army from professional soldiers who have drifted into the area (or own property there in later times).

Peasants are also shown with long bamboo spears with poisonous vines wrapped around them!

I reckon the point is that you can have other troops than just poor mobs in your Korean Peasant Revolt army. Just not that many average troops and their BGs would be small compared to the 12-base mobs.

Return to “Army Design”