Scottish Allies 100 Year War

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

themightycid
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Scottish Allies 100 Year War

Post by themightycid »

The listing for Scots Continetal Allies in Storm of Arrows is, to say the least controversial. Dismounted MAA and Longbowmen. I would like to knw the sources for this. Not saying it's wrong but this is a radical revision and I'd like to check it out for myself.
DanielS
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by DanielS »

I'd say that a good starting point is http://www.deremilitari.org/resources/a ... tcham1.htm There is nothing radical about the revison at all as there has never been any proof for the notion that the Scots in France were spearmen/pikemen as seen in for example in DBM. The priamry sources have always describd the Scots as a combination of men-at-arms and archers. It's jsut that a lot of English historians have seen fit to ignore this over the years as it didn't fit with the notion that the longbow was an almost exclusively English weapon.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

Also remember that "longbow" is not meant to be that specific on a weapon but is designed to get the histroical effect correct.
Ghaznavid
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ghaznavid »

I'm more wondering about the justification of all longbowmen in continental English armies to be drilled (there isn't even an option for them to be undrilled), yet their Scottish counterparts not even getting the benefit of the doubt. Both were basically mercenary forces more or less 'drilled' during the actual campaigns.
Karsten

~ We are not surrounded, we are merely in a target rich environment. ~

Return to “Army Design”