Thoughts on Improvements for PBEM

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

elxaime
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Thoughts on Improvements for PBEM

Post by elxaime »

Having played several PBEM matches as well as single player, here are some thoughts on things that can be done to make PBEM more popular and fun. First, I would note that if you look at the current server list of matches, you will notice there are only usually 3-5 games filling up, and if you check the names of the players there are a lot of familiar ones, meaning it is basically veterans as opposed to newcomers. This is not a good sign if you want to grow the player base.

Problems:

- there needs to be in-game, easy to use, nation to nation messaging. Right now, unless you possess that players' RL email, any messages you send are read by all. This kills diplomacy.
- the way to win - legacy collection - incentivizes avoidance of conflict. Some nations have inherent advantages in gaining legacy and most games end early without much fighting through auto-legacy gain
- Not much reason to play the smaller nations or tribes, as you spend most/all of your time just trying to stay in existence. Again, most of the fighting gets done by AI-controlled nations
- snowball effect means once a nation becomes powerful enough they are too big to fail. No one dares attack them and the internal dynamics that affect size don't seem to deter the game turning into a "paint the map" exercise

Recommendations
- instead of all or nothing wars, the legacy table should set up small conflicts over key regions or trade routes. This would make wars between the player controlled nations more focused and limited, instead of the all-or-nothing affairs that incentivize people to avoid them
- there needs to be a function added allowing players who lose their nation to "jump into" an un-played nation
- tribal nations need to be made more viable and fun, right now they all play relatively similarly

Others may have other thoughts.
CHINCHIN
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Thoughts on Improvements for PBEM

Post by CHINCHIN »

I agree. Nation-to-nation messages are essential.

I think it would be better to lower the legacy by government and raise it by conquests or wars. Giving an amount of legacy for each war ended depending on how good or bad your nation did. For example, make peace and receive 2 enemy regions +4 legacy points.
MARVIN_THE_ARVN
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN »

The in-game messaging does need to be better, direct messages are a must.

The solution I have used is finding the person on the forum and PMing them, generally works.

With regards to matchmaking, maybe try creating a game, let pax know it is aimed at casuals/newbies and ask any vets/try hards to take on the weaker powers, most of the pax I've played with on this are quite reasonable. In my current and only MP game we have been making gentleman agreements on wars/sides to make it more even and hence fun
"I'll gladly trade you some ARVN rifles, never been fired and only dropped once"
poesel71
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by poesel71 »

Against snowballing it helps to play at higher difficulties. There bigger nations accumulate decadence faster thus making snowballing more difficult.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

Any functionality requested to MP should be directed to the general forum, as this is not handled by the AGEOD team, but by the PBEM server team. You can also PM Iain McNeil directly :wink:
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”