Field of Glory: Empires Unveiled!

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Lysimaque
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Field of Glory: Empires Unveiled!

Post by Lysimaque »

rbodleyscott wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:41 am
canuckgamer wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:24 amSince I have FOG2 I am wondering if you can play the battles initiated in FOG Empires in a PBEM game. I only play solo games to learn the mechanics of a game and then move to PBEM. It indicates that up to 6 players can play so if player A initiates a battle with player B and they decided to resolve their battle using FOG2 that would mean that the other four players would have to wait until A & B completed their battle. I know it takes a few weeks for me to finish a battle PBEM so I can't see this being a viable option. Maybe the option of resolving battles using FOG2 is for solo play only?
Currently it is designed for solo play, but who knows what the future may bring. As you say, it might be somewhat impracticable to run a campaign with more than 2 players if the battles were to be played out in FOG2.
But the original game (without use FOG2 , mixt tactical and strategy are never a good thing for me) it is playable in multi right? I mean it is a kind of game that you want play in multi, many factions, many possibilities of diplomacy.
Froz
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Froz »

Tamas wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:34 pm So a bit of a good news on the FOG2 DLC requirement topic: there isn't any. :)

There will be the possibility for some of the Legions Triumphant units to show up in your converted battles (maybe), but that doesn't matter: to convert battles from (and to) Empires, you will only need the base version of FOG2.
Thank you, that's appreciated :).
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

Lysimaque wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:10 pm
But the original game (without use FOG2 , mixt tactical and strategy are never a good thing for me) it is playable in multi right? I mean it is a kind of game that you want play in multi, many factions, many possibilities of diplomacy.
Yes of course! As mentioned during the stream, thanks to the WEGO turn resolution it is rather flexible as you don't have to have all players playing the game at the same time. They give their orders, submit it to our server, and when all players have submitted their orders, the turn gets resolved and sent out to all players to watch it and issue orders for the next turn etc.
Lysimaque

Post by Lysimaque »

Ok that great, cannot wait to launch a a game with 10 players . My only concern it is about graphism. I find the map ugly, like paradox games. I very loved the artistic style of Ageod Games, i play WoN in pebm, and i cannot stop admire the details of the map, the pictures of general, everything in this game is so beautiful. It was not possible to keep a painting style instead of full 3d?
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

Maybe the political overlay in the stream didn't help, but I think our map is quite pretty. :) But yes of course it is different in style from the 2D maps of old AGEOD games, but this solution is more flexible for us.
vaalen
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by vaalen »

This game is one of the best ideas I have sseen in a long time. I saw the livestream and was very impressed. This is a day one purchase for me, as well.
alrope
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by alrope »

Well, it can look strange, but I was about to start a campaign on a Ancients Mod to EU IV, but I was intending to use FOG2 for the battles. Then I would edit the file to insert manually the results... Now I won´t need anymore.

I also had thought to use Mare Nostrum for the same thing on naval battles... How the game intend to manage those?
76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by 76mm »

This looks quite interesting, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Any chance that this will ship with a map editor, or even better, a random world generator ala Agressors?

2) What can you say, if anything, about "modability", ie, tweaking game parameters via xml settings or scripts (again, ala Agressors)?

3) I have always wanted to like AGEOD games but just could never get into them for some reason...will this one have a different feel, or be pretty similar to previous AGEOD games?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

There isn't a map editor as such but the map is just a set of data that can be replaced.

The game is in Archon, which means it is almost entirely driven from scripts not code. This makes it extremely moddable. Almost every game rule and mechanics can be edited and changed or removed / replaced. Pretty much anything that can be imagined (and you have the time and ability to do!) can be done.

The game is intended to keep the flavour of Ageod games but give them a modern twist. It also gives more non militaristic decisions and has you controlling things at a higher level across a longer time period which is what makes me really like this game.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

As Iain said. If I may I'll rephrase something:

script vs code. Scripts is 'interpreted language', it means that the game read text files with instructions and create game rules from it. Anyone can edit these text files. Any modder or any player. And so it means that if you want to edit, create or delete game rules you can. This is something that very very few games on the market allows, that easily at least.

Example of new game rules would be to have catapults doing area of effects damages on the battlefield. Or have some spies providing information or sabotages through various means. Or for the more grognards ones, have equipments you can buy for units to customize them down to the shield and sword they wear (lets start a debate on the various benefits of the spatha vs the gladius, even if it amounts to a powerful 'Invoke RBS' spell :lol: ).
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Pocus wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:51 am script vs code. Scripts is 'interpreted language', it means that the game read text files with instructions and create game rules from it. Anyone can edit these text files. Any modder or any player. And so it means that if you want to edit, create or delete game rules you can. This is something that very very few games on the market allows, that easily at least.
Well that sounds cool. Looking forward to see how it plays out...
anguille
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by anguille »

Just been playing some battles of Legion Arena again and can't help to think that it would have been so great in such a game…. :(
FrenchDude
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by FrenchDude »

Hi !
I just wanted to say that this game is looking awesome, many thanks to the dev team ! I've been looking for a game mixing good strategical gameplay and interesting tactical battles for a long time... And now my dream is finally coming true ! I discovered Field of Glory 2 recently, and I'm really hooked on it right now. But I missed the "Grand campaign" aspect of some other strategy games. Now, with Empires, we'll finally be able to get challenging and historically accurate ancient warfare with an interesting strategical layer of gameplay.

I watched the whole stream a few days ago, and it made me very curious, It looked very nice, I especially liked the management of the population (slave/citizen) and the economic side of things. And of course, the compatibility with field of Glory 2, it's truly amazing :D ! I have a few questions I wanted to ask the dev team after watching the stream :
- A dumb question : I like Europa Universalis IV, and the fact that it's not all about smashing things and steamrolling through whole nations with an army. The economical management, politics and trade, were a very important aspect of the game. How "complex" do you think that Field of Glory : Empires is going to be on the political/economical level compared to EUIV ? (I'm comparing Empires to Europa Universalis because EUIV is the game I know the best when it comes to the "grand strategy" genre)
- Do you eventually plan on adding some sort of "Colonisation" system to the game ? With the possibility of displacing a part of the population (Slaves and/or citizens) to another region ? For example : You are the Seleucides, and own an eastern region with a very small hellenic citizen population. So you move Hellenic Citizens where you need greeks to recruit some phalanx units or to improve public order in disloyal regions
- Are civil wars and internal politics going to be an important part of the gameplay ? Is the player going to be able to micromanage the loyalty of generals or political characters inside his kingdom ?
- The trade is going to happen automatically, but is the player going to be able to have some influence on it ? Like making trade agreements with some factions, changing the Trade Policy, controlling important trade nodes, or doing some piracy with the navy ?

I watched the stream some time ago and I don't remember everything, so maybe that a few of my questions were already answered before. Sorry for asking so many questions but your game looks very promising !
Anyways, thank you for your hard work, happy new year to all of you guys, and forgive me if I made some mistakes, english isn't my native language :D

Have a nice evening!
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

Bonjour FrenchDude!

Compared to EU4,I would say the approach to economy is vastly different. I'll let you judge which one you prefer though. Our approach is that economy is done for the most part with the judicious development of new buildings, they provide bonuses and special abilities, and many work in synergy with others. It means that at the most basic level, you can just 'plop' new buildings, when you get the hand on things or like to optimize a bit (like I do), you'll want to pair buildings, like building a potter workshop, which will produce pottery used by your harbor (and also sold to others nations through trading). I feel this approach gives a very real substance to economy.
On the political front, I don't know much about EU4 to speak about comparing it. They have advisors, we have a ruler with abilities. You can get political decisions from our national decisions system.

Colonization: That's already something you'll be able to do in a limited way through a national decision yes. To move some population or alter the profile of a region. Plus populations can convert over time to your national ethnicity, so Persians might become Hellenes (their descendants to be more precise, and this also abstract an influx of new Hellenes citizens from your core land).

Trade: For now you can't embargo nations, that would not be very historical somehow. You can definitively influence trade by producing more of a product, to get more chance to secure deals with a given trade goods, or you can boost your trade expertise, to snatch trade deals against the competition. Some nations can do piracy or raiding, it requires a special ship though and for example Rome won't have access to it.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
woos1981

Post by woos1981 »

This game has a great idea! But How do you simulate the naval battles? is it possible to have a linkage with Mare Nostrvm?
FrenchDude

Post by FrenchDude »

Bonjour Pocus,

Thanks for your quick reply :D I hope we'll see more things about Empires soon ! The gameplay shown in the stream looked very promising, and now I can't wait to be able to play your game and restore the empire of Alexander playing one of the Diadochi states ! I'll keep playing Field of Glory 2 to pass the time :D
Have a nice day, bonne année, meilleurs vœux, et bon courage pour le développement du jeu !
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

Merci à toi, et bonne année 2019 également :D
SGZ
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by SGZ »

This looks great. I've watched the "live stream" from Brixia a few times and am wondering how diplomacy works? Can we ally w nations ? Send tributes to curry favour ? Marry off daughters etc etc ??
Also the million dollar q ...... what's your best estimate at release date ? I'm hanging out to play this one !!!
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

I can't be too specific on the release date as I don't know it myself! Definitively 2019 and probably in the first part and not second part, but I can't give more infos on that sorry.

We are designing a few more diplomacy possibilities right now, but you can already ally with others, or ask a nation to be your client state, or bow low and submit to the might of a powerful empire that will protect you :twisted:
SGZ
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by SGZ »

I can't be too specific on the release date as I don't know it myself! Definitively 2019 and probably in the first part and not second part, but I can't give more infos on that sorry.

We are designing a few more diplomacy possibilities right now, but you can already ally with others, or ask a nation to be your client state, or bow low and submit to the might of a powerful empire that will protect you :twisted:
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Thanks for the reply. Diplomacy sounds promising. Will you do another video and if so can you demonstrate this and perhaps some naval battles?

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”