Mod compatibility

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

FrenchDude
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Mod compatibility

Post by FrenchDude »

Hello guys ! :D

I remember that in the FoG Empires stream you made, you said that the game was going to be very mod-friendly, and that battles could be exported into Field Of Glory 2. These are both good news, and it made me a bit curious about something : The compatibility between a modded version of FoG2 and Empires

I was playing FoG 2 the other day, with the wonderful "Table Top" Mod made by Paul59, and I wondered : Will it be possible to play exported FoG Empires battles in FoG 2 with modded units like the ones used in the Table Top mod ?

If I understand the mechanism correctly, FoG Empires will use units (Legion, Cavalry, skirmisher) on the strategical map that will give a certain amount of tactical units in FoG2 (with a point system ?). So if we keep FoG Empire normal units (Legion, etc...), and link them to some modded FoG 2 units (with the same combat power) on the battle map, could it work ? Or will the community have to mod directly FoG Empires units to avoid compatibility issues ?
SGZ
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Mod compatibility

Post by SGZ »

I too am a big fan of the TT mod for FOG2. I hope it can not only be used in battles but the banner reskin can be applied to the grand campaign units too.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

I don't see why you could not edit the units definitions in Empires so they translate to whatever you want in a modded FOG2!
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
FrenchDude

Post by FrenchDude »

Awesome ! And what about « Global mods » in field of glory 2, such as the « Rise of AI » mod made by roguejack ? Coule it be usable with exported FoG Empires baffles ?
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

I'm not super familiar with how FOG2 works internally. And that's an understatement. But the 2 games are somehow insulated from each other. By that I mean that if you have modded the conversion chart from Empires to FOG2 and if you had a mod that was in working order in FOG2 , then I see no reason it would not work with the units exported.

Lets take an unrealistic example. You have done a total conversion of FOG2 to something really weird: you want to convert a legion to a Sherman Tank. You can alter the conversion chart in Empires so it does that.
You also tested that your new unit, the Sherman Tank is working in FOG2.
Then it means you are good to go. Empires will happily convert your legion to a Sherman Tank. FOG2 will use it. Then translate it back to a legion. In fact Empires does not know what will happen when it converts units. What it 'wants' is a conversion chart from A to B back to A. The nature of A or B, it is ok with anything :wink:
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
FrenchDude

Post by FrenchDude »

Thanks for the explanation and for your quick answer ! Looks like the players are going to be able to do very interesting things as far as modding is concerned :D
SGZ
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by SGZ »

How easy will it be to mod the logs/flags of each nation ? If it's going to be fairly straight forward I'll begin work on my " library" of flags ASAP!

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”