Siege Battles

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

SGZ
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Siege Battles

Post by SGZ » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:57 am

I'm wondering how siege battles will be depicted. Will they be graphically depicted similar to the field battles ? If so are there many different types of walls/ cities to represent the differnt cultural groups ? Will they drag on over many turns ? Siege engines ? Will they be playable in FOG2?

Eagerly awaiting more info on this cool looking game.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Re: Siege Battles

Post by Pocus » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:40 am

Siege is a subject in its own. You can lay siege to any walled city (if there is no wall, then there is a battle immediately). Walls comes in 5 levels, from modest palisade up to massive level IV walls representing the like of the walls of Rhodes, Byzantium (pre-Byzantine empire obviously!) and Jerusalem. Each corresponds to different defensive parameters, subdivided further into 2 range of values depending if you managed some breaches or not. If you prefer to wait for the defender to surrender, then there are others factors that come into play like extra defensive structures (fortress, acropolis e.g.), the presence of a non blockaded harbor, grain reserves, defenders overcrowding, troop quality, specialized units, etc.

The city (and walls) look differently depending of various culture groups yes.

FOG2 don't handle city assault yet, so you can't solve a siege assault within FOG2, but Empires is a full game and the battle module is also quite nice and can deal with every situations.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

SGZ
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by SGZ » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:43 pm

That sound brilliant Pocus. When you say the battles in FOGE can handle all situations do you mean that in siege battles the " miniatures" are shown assaulting the walls of the city with culture appropriate walls of the correct level ( out of 5) all being fully depicted ? Can you demonstrate this and naval battles in the next video ? - or better still take me on as a Beta tester :)

devoncop
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by devoncop » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:38 pm

SGZ wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:43 pm
That sound brilliant Pocus. When you say the battles in FOGE can handle all situations do you mean that in siege battles the " miniatures" are shown assaulting the walls of the city with culture appropriate walls of the correct level ( out of 5) all being fully depicted ? Can you demonstrate this and naval battles in the next video ? - or better still take me on as a Beta tester :)
My understanding is that the seige battles with not be modelled tactically because as Pocus pointed out the Field of Glory 2 system cannot handle sieges but the resolution of siege assaults will take into account accurately such factors as strength and expertise of defending forces, size and condition of city walls, traits of Generals etc....this sounds entirely satisfactory to me.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”