I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Post Reply
Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Post by Dux Limitis » Fri May 10, 2019 2:51 pm

@Pocus In the DasTactic's challenge 2's video,I saw he can't do this in export battle like the end of fog2's custom battle and epic battle(see these two pictures).In the export battle the game just said"The enemy has lost heart.You are victorious",then click on "ok",the battle will end,not like this.I think players has right to choice let the enemy go or not,and this way can totally destroyed their army,or most of them,we don't wanna start another battle because of half or several remain enemy units.
Attachments
FIELDOFGLORY2 2019-05-10 20-51-36-37.jpg
FIELDOFGLORY2 2019-05-10 20-51-36-37.jpg (106.64 KiB) Viewed 992 times
FIELDOFGLORY2 2019-05-10 20-51-45-61.jpg
FIELDOFGLORY2 2019-05-10 20-51-45-61.jpg (110.39 KiB) Viewed 992 times
Last edited by Dux Limitis on Sat May 11, 2019 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

loki100
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Posts: 976
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Post by loki100 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:52 pm

this is deliberate. When the game comes back to Empires, you then inflict retreat/rout losses in addition to the battle damage. So if you could play FoG2 to the end then it would be too high losses

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Post by Dux Limitis » Sat May 11, 2019 4:22 am

loki100 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:52 pm
So if you could play FoG2 to the end then it would be too high losses
That's what I want,destroy the enemy's army at once in most of times,I think I should have that free and commander has right and power to make decision of let the enemy go or not.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 22225
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat May 11, 2019 6:11 am

Dux Limitis wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:22 am
loki100 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:52 pm
So if you could play FoG2 to the end then it would be too high losses
That's what I want,destroy the enemy's army at once in most of times,I think I should have that free and commander has right and power to make decision of let the enemy go or not.
Empires calculates the results of the pursuit automatically. It will not "let the enemy go". The FOG2 battle may end when the enemy reach 40% losses, but the Empires pursuit calculations after the battle results are imported will often wipe them out almost completely.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

MojoAmok
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Re: I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Post by MojoAmok » Sat May 11, 2019 6:19 am

I love FOG 2, but the manual continuation of the battles after the "enemy has lost heart" prompt doesn't make any sense. 95+% of my FOG games have been in campaign mode which lacks this feature, but in the game modes that do allow it, the only reason the battle formally continues is that the enemy, in fact, does not behave as if they have "lost heart." Instead, the battle continues not because the player decides to "let the enemy go," but rather because the AI - in spite of all reason - is scripted to continue aggressively attacking instead of routing. If all the enemy units routed and you could try your best to attack them before they got off the board, that would look right, but as is, it just seems wrong to have the remnants of the enemy army launch suicidal charges. It doesn't really make sense to me, so an abstracted "this is how many blokes you killed in the pursuit phase" feature seems like an improvement.

I prefer the FOG 2 campaign mode where there is no "continue the battle against a suicidal AI" button and the post-battle casualties instead include the deserted/captured stats; these are heavily abstracted but are also intuitive and logical. Hopefully FOG:E pursuit works more or less like that (though we probably don't need to differentiate between dead, wounded, deserted or captured for gameplay purposes). If we get extra kills for having light troops and cavalry as was reported previously, I'm quite pleased with the implementation.

devoncop
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Posts: 1269
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:46 am

Re: I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Post by devoncop » Sat May 11, 2019 6:26 am

MojoAmok wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:19 am
I love FOG 2, but the manual continuation of the battles after the "enemy has lost heart" prompt doesn't make any sense. 95+% of my FOG games have been in campaign mode which lacks this feature, but in the game modes that do allow it, the only reason the battle formally continues is that the enemy, in fact, does not behave as if they have "lost heart." Instead, the battle continues not because the player decides to "let the enemy go," but rather because the AI - in spite of all reason - is scripted to continue aggressively attacking instead of routing. If all the enemy units routed and you could try your best to attack them before they got off the board, that would look right, but as is, it just seems wrong to have the remnants of the enemy army launch suicidal charges. It doesn't really make sense to me, so an abstracted "this is how many blokes you killed in the pursuit phase" feature seems like an improvement.

I prefer the FOG 2 campaign mode where there is no "continue the battle against a suicidal AI" button and the post-battle casualties instead include the deserted/captured stats; these are heavily abstracted but are also intuitive and logical. Hopefully FOG:E pursuit works more or less like that (though we probably don't need to differentiate between dead, wounded, deserted or captured for gameplay purposes). If we get extra kills for having light troops and cavalry as was reported previously, I'm quite pleased with the implementation.
Exactly so.

However satisfying some players may find totally wiping out an enemy army it was very rare historically, and generally only when surrounded and refusing to surrender.

As you say the Empires mechanic looks fine as does the auto battle win feature in FOG2 (without the decision to allow total destruction of a suicidal enemy).......the option is there in FOG2 for the occasional player who wants this.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 22225
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat May 11, 2019 6:31 am

MojoAmok wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:19 am
I love FOG 2, but the manual continuation of the battles after the "enemy has lost heart" prompt doesn't make any sense. 95+% of my FOG games have been in campaign mode which lacks this feature, but in the game modes that do allow it, the only reason the battle formally continues is that the enemy, in fact, does not behave as if they have "lost heart." Instead, the battle continues not because the player decides to "let the enemy go," but rather because the AI - in spite of all reason - is scripted to continue aggressively attacking instead of routing. If all the enemy units routed and you could try your best to attack them before they got off the board, that would look right, but as is, it just seems wrong to have the remnants of the enemy army launch suicidal charges. It doesn't really make sense to me, so an abstracted "this is how many blokes you killed in the pursuit phase" feature seems like an improvement.

I prefer the FOG 2 campaign mode where there is no "continue the battle against a suicidal AI" button and the post-battle casualties instead include the deserted/captured stats; these are heavily abstracted but are also intuitive and logical. Hopefully FOG:E pursuit works more or less like that (though we probably don't need to differentiate between dead, wounded, deserted or captured for gameplay purposes). If we get extra kills for having light troops and cavalry as was reported previously, I'm quite pleased with the implementation.
The FOG2 "continue fighting" feature was not part of the original design, and is something that we added at the request of the publisher, for those who want it. As you say, it does not accurately represent a pursuit, which is why we don't allow it to be used in Campaign or FOG:Empires battles. Instead the results of the pursuit are calculated automatically. Depending on the composition of the opposing armies, the FOG: Empires automatic pursuit calculation is in fact often harsher than the one in FOG2, and the final losses from the defeated army are often much higher than reported in the FOG2 end of battle report.

devoncop wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:26 am
As you say the Empires mechanic looks fine as does the auto battle win feature in FOG2 (without the decision to allow total destruction of a suicidal enemy).......the option is there in FOG2 for the occasional player who wants this.
Precisely.

But to allow it for Campaign or FOG:Empires battles would be doubling up the effects of pursuit as both FOG Campaigns and FOG Empires deal with the results of the pursuit automatically.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Post by Dux Limitis » Sat May 11, 2019 10:16 am

rbodleyscott wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:11 am
Dux Limitis wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:22 am
loki100 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:52 pm
So if you could play FoG2 to the end then it would be too high losses
That's what I want,destroy the enemy's army at once in most of times,I think I should have that free and commander has right and power to make decision of let the enemy go or not.
Empires calculates the results of the pursuit automatically. It will not "let the enemy go". The FOG2 battle may end when the enemy reach 40% losses, but the Empires pursuit calculations after the battle results are imported will often wipe them out almost completely.
You means,that is automatically in the Empire?Thanks,I know that now.

Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:14 am

Re: I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Post by Tamas » Sat May 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Dux Limitis wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:16 am
rbodleyscott wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:11 am
Dux Limitis wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:22 am


That's what I want,destroy the enemy's army at once in most of times,I think I should have that free and commander has right and power to make decision of let the enemy go or not.
Empires calculates the results of the pursuit automatically. It will not "let the enemy go". The FOG2 battle may end when the enemy reach 40% losses, but the Empires pursuit calculations after the battle results are imported will often wipe them out almost completely.
You means,that is automatically in the Empire?Thanks,I know that now.
Yes. Quite often you will see significant (even the majority) of losses for the losing side in the Pursuit phase instead of the actual battle (true for both Empires and FOG2 battles).

MojoAmok
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Re: I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Post by MojoAmok » Sat May 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Cheers, devoncorp and rbodleyscott

The origin of those battle-continuations makes more sense now knowing that they were a publisher inclusion as I can't think of anything else in FOG 2 that I would consider counter-intuitive. It is what it is and we can always just let the battle end normally in FOG 2 if we don't like it.

Anyway, sounds like the pursuit in FOG:E will be nice and I'm glad to hear that there are more casualties in the pursuit phase than during the battle.

Thanks

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Post by Dux Limitis » Sun May 12, 2019 6:58 am

Tamas wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:52 pm
Dux Limitis wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:16 am
rbodleyscott wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:11 am


Empires calculates the results of the pursuit automatically. It will not "let the enemy go". The FOG2 battle may end when the enemy reach 40% losses, but the Empires pursuit calculations after the battle results are imported will often wipe them out almost completely.
You means,that is automatically in the Empire?Thanks,I know that now.
Yes. Quite often you will see significant (even the majority) of losses for the losing side in the Pursuit phase instead of the actual battle (true for both Empires and FOG2 battles).
Thanks,another thing I wanna ask,could the game add an active retreat function(If the situation allow the army to retreat)like the total war?Or the game is already have?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 22225
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Post by rbodleyscott » Wed May 29, 2019 6:56 am

Dux Limitis wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:58 am
Tamas wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:52 pm
Dux Limitis wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:16 am

You means,that is automatically in the Empire?Thanks,I know that now.
Yes. Quite often you will see significant (even the majority) of losses for the losing side in the Pursuit phase instead of the actual battle (true for both Empires and FOG2 battles).
Thanks,another thing I wanna ask,could the game add an active retreat function(If the situation allow the army to retreat)like the total war?Or the game is already have?
The FOG2 retreat function is disabled for Empires battles, because otherwise it is possible to escape a battle with no losses by exporting to FOG2 and then immediately hitting retreat. This would be an exploit.

If Empires allowed a retreat to be attempted prior to the battle, it should be done at the Empires end. There are few if any historical examples of an Ancient army successfully retreating in good order once battle had actually been joined.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Post by Dux Limitis » Wed May 29, 2019 4:31 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:56 am
Dux Limitis wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:58 am
Tamas wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:52 pm


Yes. Quite often you will see significant (even the majority) of losses for the losing side in the Pursuit phase instead of the actual battle (true for both Empires and FOG2 battles).
Thanks,another thing I wanna ask,could the game add an active retreat function(If the situation allow the army to retreat)like the total war?Or the game is already have?
The FOG2 retreat function is disabled for Empires battles, because otherwise it is possible to escape a battle with no losses by exporting to FOG2 and then immediately hitting retreat. This would be an exploit.

If Empires allowed a retreat to be attempted prior to the battle, it should be done at the Empires end. There are few if any historical examples of an Ancient army successfully retreating in good order once battle had actually been joined.
I think there's a rearguard defence scenario in the FOG2,could this be able to use in the empire when player order to retreat(assume the retreat function is not disabled)?Let the players to choose or random choose some units as rearguard forces.(the game can set the least and maximum rearguard units number,depends on the size of the army).That might be more reasonable.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 22225
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Post by rbodleyscott » Wed May 29, 2019 4:34 pm

Dux Limitis wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:31 pm
rbodleyscott wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:56 am
Dux Limitis wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:58 am


Thanks,another thing I wanna ask,could the game add an active retreat function(If the situation allow the army to retreat)like the total war?Or the game is already have?
The FOG2 retreat function is disabled for Empires battles, because otherwise it is possible to escape a battle with no losses by exporting to FOG2 and then immediately hitting retreat. This would be an exploit.

If Empires allowed a retreat to be attempted prior to the battle, it should be done at the Empires end. There are few if any historical examples of an Ancient army successfully retreating in good order once battle had actually been joined.
I think there's a rearguard defence scenario in the FOG2,could this be able to use in the empire when player order to retreat(assume the retreat function is not disabled)?Let the players to choose or random choose some units as rearguard forces.(the game can set the least and maximum rearguard units number,depends on the size of the army).That might be more reasonable.
That is an interesting idea.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: I saw the challenge 2's export,still can't continue the battle when win it in FOG2

Post by Dux Limitis » Thu May 30, 2019 2:16 am

rbodleyscott wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:34 pm
Dux Limitis wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:31 pm
rbodleyscott wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:56 am


The FOG2 retreat function is disabled for Empires battles, because otherwise it is possible to escape a battle with no losses by exporting to FOG2 and then immediately hitting retreat. This would be an exploit.

If Empires allowed a retreat to be attempted prior to the battle, it should be done at the Empires end. There are few if any historical examples of an Ancient army successfully retreating in good order once battle had actually been joined.
I think there's a rearguard defence scenario in the FOG2,could this be able to use in the empire when player order to retreat(assume the retreat function is not disabled)?Let the players to choose or random choose some units as rearguard forces.(the game can set the least and maximum rearguard units number,depends on the size of the army).That might be more reasonable.
That is an interesting idea.
Thanks,I hope this able to be used,that's really'll make the battle function more reasonable and let players have more choices.

Post Reply

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”