Playing on Easy ain't so Easy

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Straticus
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Playing on Easy ain't so Easy

Post by Straticus » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:03 pm

A little troubled with Easy level play primarily from an a Progress token / Aging aspect that seems to be rather maddening.

Playing as Rome, grabbed 4 objectives rather steadily and received 4 Progress tokens, then BAM! - a seemingly arbitrary and random Aging event steals away one of my progress tokens - now down to 3.

Worked hard to grab another 2 objectives - so should have had 5 Progress tokens - but nope - didn't get it and still at 4 Progress tokens. Grabbed another objective - still no Progress token. Then a serries of random Aging events start stealing my progress tokens until I realize I am never going to progress to the next civilization level at this rate.

Easy play should be Easy, but this isn't easy for me.

MoLAoS
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Playing on Easy ain't so Easy

Post by MoLAoS » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:26 pm

Do you know why you are getting aging tokens? Its not random. You have a low culture to decadence ratio. As Rome, especially on easy, and more so depending on your ruler, you should easily stay in the top tier of the CDR chart. Roughly want to be at least 20th to be safe. You want to put your citizens on culture most of the time in your core provinces. Newer provinces have a harsh penalty to culture and income for citizens so you often want to put citizens there on food or preferably infrastructure till the conquest penalties wear off. Likely you are taking too much land without balancing that out with culture production. 5 objectives?

You start with Latium and Campania. Presumably you grabbed Picenum, Apulia, and Padus? Then maybe Carnia and Taurinia? What year/turn was this? You should have at least 200 HCV at that point though you could do it with less if you had to. What's your decadence at?

Straticus

Post by Straticus » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:27 am

I'll be the first to admit management of this Aging / Decadance aspect is confusing but thank you for your insights.

I haven't spent much time in the National Panel and maybe I should have in order to monitor the trend. I haven't been placing much emphasis on culture, mostly managing armies in order to grab far flung objectives and the necessary territory to accomplish that. Managing the 3M so to speak.

I would probably enjoy the game more if there was a on/off button for the Aging / Decadance apect.

HCV is 116. Decadance is 480 and rising. Ranked 52 on the CDR. Civ Level II Stable Republic. If I had a better handle on how to manage decadance better to avoid aging - so I appreciate your tips.

There is a querk with not getting Progress tokens when you grab that 5th objective, or when you lose an objective and regain it. Doesn't seen to recognize it.

MoLAoS

Post by MoLAoS » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:03 am

Straticus wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:27 am
I'll be the first to admit management of this Aging / Decadance aspect is confusing but thank you for your insights.

I haven't spent much time in the National Panel and maybe I should have in order to monitor the trend. I haven't been placing much emphasis on culture, mostly managing armies in order to grab far flung objectives and the necessary territory to accomplish that. Managing the 3M so to speak.

I would probably enjoy the game more if there was a on/off button for the Aging / Decadance apect.

HCV is 116. Decadance is 480 and rising. Ranked 52 on the CDR. Civ Level II Stable Republic. If I had a better handle on how to manage decadance better to avoid aging - so I appreciate your tips.

There is a querk with not getting Progress tokens when you grab that 5th objective, or when you lose an objective and regain it. Doesn't seen to recognize it.
You probably just missed the aging message if you didn't get the token. But yeah you completely hamstrung yourself because of the HCV/DEC ratio. Depending on the difficulty you need different levels of H/D to be in the key parts of the tiers. At Suicidal, which I just did for the first time, on top of some other self imposed limitations, I was getting 4-5:1 and being in the aging tier which was a real shock. Even D5, Suicidal is D7, it was nothing like that. Basically managing the H/D added 50% more turns to achieve the starter goal of Rome, which is IS, IF, and CIS all being controlled by you thus giving you total dominance of the Peninsula. 20 turns on D5 vs 30, and a small lag in progress tokens, on D7.

You absolutely have to manage H/D even on lower difficulties, though. It's just a lot more casual. Having a 5:1 ratio puts you in like first place on D1. You can safely sit at 7:10 and being in the progress tier and the static tier at 5:10. And as you noticed roughly 3:10 at a minimum to avoid the aging tier. Definitely adds some overhead compared to CA or PD map painters.

Gilmer
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Gilmer » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:27 pm

Straticus wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:27 am

Check out the options. I think there is a "lesser decadence gain" type option in there. I was just looking at the options a couple of hours ago.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”