Field of Diplomacy - Calling Players for an MP game

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: Field of Diplomacy - Calling Players for an MP game

Post by 13obo »

And they call us barbarians... Better come forward with an unsheathed sword than walk side by side with a dagger behind the back.
Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Geffalrus »

13obo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:02 pm And they call us barbarians... Better come forward with an unsheathed sword than walk side by side with a dagger behind the back.
Glad our drama here in Greece is giving you such entertainment. Things not exciting enough over there in Gaul? :wink: :D
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Not yet! We're still dancing with the trees and fighting each other with swords for fun. But soon...
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Geffalrus wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:20 am Hmmmmmm, Rome? Not sure I recognize that name. Are they a tributary of Carthage perhaps?

Ptolemy - can you find any mention of a town called "Rome" in your vast library?

What about you Seleucus - do the old Persian Imperial Records have anything to say about the small villages on the Italian Peninsula?

Official Communique from the Senate of Rome

Carthage is quite correct in her condemnation of what is clearly unprovoked Macedonian aggression against Epirus. The so-called "justification" may as well have blamed Epirus for a failure of the sun to shine on a particular day. Ludicrous in the extreme.

It is clear to the Senate however that Macedon is also the (all too willing) puppet here with the Antigonids being the puppet masters. Antigonus has past history of seeking to dominate the Greek peninsular and has previously done so directly though at the obvious opportunity cost of stripping Antigonid capability against both the Seleucids and Egypt.
It seems now he has a junior partner to do his bidding until such time as Antigonus has dealt with other threats at which point Macedon will be discarded and treated as a "useful idiot" as Antigonus forces turn on their erstwhile ally.

Rome condemns utterly the co-conspirators and calls upon all other nations in the region and in particular the Selucids and the Ptolemies to beware of the behemoth about to strike them.....

Comments have been made mocking the young and growing Roman state.

These have been noted.

Rome will avenge this injustice to Epirus in time and at that point neither the Macedonian King nor the usurper Antigonus will need to ask their scribes "Where and who are Rome?" as the Legions tear down their Palaces and the Time of the Unjust will become the Time of the Just.
pnoff
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by pnoff »

devoncop wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:54 pm
Just to be clear: Antigonids are our trusted ally, as was made public at first turn, unlike the sneaky "maybe alliance" between Rome and Epirus. They performed their part honorably and attacked Athens swiftly and with much smaller army than Epirus had available, exactly as agreed.

BUT due to time constaints and swiftness of our decision they were not even notified about our action against Epirus, for which miscommunication we are regretful.

The only puppet master here is obviously Rome who is frustrated about losing their puppet Epirus.

- Pnoff of Macedon
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

pnoff wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:08 pm
devoncop wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:54 pm
Just to be clear: Antigonids are our trusted ally, as was made public at first turn, unlike the sneaky "maybe alliance" between Rome and Epirus. They performed their part honorably and attacked Athens swiftly and with much smaller army than Epirus had available, exactly as agreed.

BUT due to time constaints and swiftness of our decision they were not even notified about our action against Epirus, for which miscommunication we are regretful.

The only puppet master here is obviously Rome who is frustrated about losing their puppet Epirus.

- Pnoff of Macedon
The

Old Antigonid saying......

"The mark of a skilful puppeteer is when even the puppet is unable to feel the strings"

The exact response of Rome will be determined by the contents of a diplomatic pouch at present returning from Epirus whereby Epirus responded to the Roman offer of an Alliance prior to the aggression by the Antigonid directed Macedonians.

By later today that will be known.

Further clarification will be forthcoming from the Senate then.
jimwinsor
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by jimwinsor »

BE4FDE39-3260-4C0F-982B-D72FE90851DA.png
BE4FDE39-3260-4C0F-982B-D72FE90851DA.png (27.99 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

It's turn 3 of our game btw...
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

The Senate announces that the parchment opened on receipt from a courier arriving back from the Epirus court told a sad story.

If ever a leader had written their own suicide note it was here.

The previously agreed Alliance (by the end of the 3rd year) between Rome and Epirus....upon being received by the Epirus from Rome was rejected and only a non committal trade agreement was signed.

The parchment will be laid on the ruins of the ransacked Palace of Epirus after Macedonian troops no doubt destroy it by a Roman Senator as a warning to all of the importance of decisions made.

Roman troops will remain on current operations.

The Senate of Rome
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

13obo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:52 pm It's turn 3 of our game btw...
The title of the game appears to be somewhat of a misnomer :-)

Greece is an exercise in the failure of diplomacy it seems :-)
pnoff

Post by pnoff »

devoncop wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:21 pm The Senate announces that the parchment opened on receipt from a courier arriving back from the Epirus court told a sad story.

If ever a leader had written their own suicide note it was here.

The previously agreed Alliance (by the end of the 3rd year) between Rome and Epirus....upon being received by the Epirus from Rome was rejected and only a non committal trade agreement was signed.

The parchment will be laid on the ruins of the ransacked Palace of Epirus after Macedonian troops no doubt destroy it by a Roman Senator as a warning to all of the importance of decisions made.

Roman troops will remain on current operations.

The Senate of Rome
Let this be the lesson for opportunists who try to be "friends" with everybody and of nobody in particular.

Friends are earned by facing common foes or turning profit, not by empty declarations.

We wish the upstanding Republic of Rome successes and progression to more convenient form of government!

- Pnoff of Macedon
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

The amount of backstabbing in this game is so far turning to be more than even the actual war of Diadochi ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_the_Diadochi ). For those that are interested, Alexander's generals switched sides and stabbed each other in the back so much, that the story would put the Game of Thrones series to shame. I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a show about this yet.
MARVIN_THE_ARVN
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN »

King Dodones of the Kingdom of Bactria calls upon his fellow Hellenics to stop this senseless death and warfare, if you want rid your nation of people send your citizens to Bactria where we can offer them a new start (I'm a Hellenic nation but only 2 of my 40 pops are Hellenic citizens).

Hail Hydra
"I'll gladly trade you some ARVN rifles, never been fired and only dropped once"
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio »

MARVIN_THE_ARVN wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:04 pm King Dodones of the Kingdom of Bactria calls upon his fellow Hellenics to stop this senseless death and warfare, if you want rid your nation of people send your citizens to Bactria where we can offer them a new start (I'm a Hellenic nation but only 2 of my 40 pops are Hellenic citizens).

Hail Hydra
I might take you up on that offer! :)
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

13obo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:44 pm The amount of backstabbing in this game is so far turning to be more than even the actual war of Diadochi ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_the_Diadochi ). For those that are interested, Alexander's generals switched sides and stabbed each other in the back so much, that the story would put the Game of Thrones series to shame. I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a show about this yet.
You're damn right that it would make an amazing tv show. Maybe I should start tweeting about it.............
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

Geffalrus wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:09 pm Ground Rules:

- Anything goes. If you want to shank your neighbor on turn one, go right ahead. Every action breeds an equal and opposite reaction in science........but in geopolitics, reactions tend to increase exponentially in my experience. We all know what can happen when a coup attempt fails. And getting a reputation for betrayal has short and long term consequences. No action exists in a vacuum.
Just gonna post this right here since everyone needs a reminder. :wink:
Morbio

Post by Morbio »

Just to be clear to everyone, I have no bad feelings for Pnoff. It's a game and these events are perfectly acceptable within the scope of the game. Yes, I'm a little frustrated, but my annoyance is equally with myself as with the king of Macedonia as I was too trusting... you live and learn... I just may not live very long to benefit from the knowledge! :roll:
pnoff

Post by pnoff »

Morbio wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:52 pm Just to be clear to everyone, I have no bad feelings for Pnoff. It's a game and these events are perfectly acceptable within the scope of the game. Yes, I'm a little frustrated, but my annoyance is equally with myself as with the king of Macedonia as I was too trusting... you live and learn... I just may not live very long to benefit from the knowledge! :roll:
OOC yes, please don't take personally irl whatever the king of Macedon is writing. But I must say that this green barbarians explanation definitely made my day irl :lol:
ledo
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by ledo »

pnoff wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:51 am
ledo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:04 am
If the great nation of Macedonia is complaining that Epirus did not provide support for a war against two tiny Greek nations (with the Antigonids help no less), then Carthage considers this a pretty flimsy excuse for what appears to be wanton aggression. At best the whole cassus belli is based on a misunderstanding on Epirus' behalf, at worst Epirus was worried that it's relatively meagre and less-skilled army, if facing the Aetolians might actually lose, and delay its expansion from what is already a relatively meagre holding. On Macedonia's part, at best it is aggrieved and lashing out for what is probably only a minor inconvenience but will likely cost Epirus it's nation, at worst Macedonia has scrambled to cook up a reason to attack.
Allow me to explain to Carthage (another "maybe ally" of Epirus? are they all a team together with Rome?) what they don't understand, but our strategois do:

1) Epirus has a "full stack" after recruiting just two ranged units. Their army is as good as any for offensive action.

2) Aetolia has one region in Greece, another one in Epirus, which was supposed to be taken by Epirus King (as per our private correspondence published by Epirus King without permission).

3) Greeks have no way to exchange regions (forbidden by sacred Pocus oracle), so defeating Aetolia would require "breaking" the division which was already broken by Epiruse's incompetence or deliberate scheming.
Morbio wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:28 am I clearly attacked the green barbarians (Greek Independant) that were in Epirus, so I lived up to my side of the bargain and I was about to attack the other green barbarians (Aetolian) that are also in Epirus this turn. I think this is a flimsy causus belli from Macedonia. I suggest that you exit my lands immediately or face a long drain on resources on your western border.
Isn't this weaseling amuzing? In what world "green barbarians (whatever they are called?)" could mean independents on an island, when very very green enemy has a land border with both of us?

- Pnoff of Macedon
I feel truly sympathetic to the Macedonians, your losses must have been truly staggering.

That Epirus did not attack aetolians immediately is clear. But that doesn't mean they did not have the intention to. Aetolia is likely to sit in its borders and defend. That Macedonia decided to attack immediately is it's choice. Had Macedonia discussed with Epirus the exact timing of the attack in detail or waited for Epirus to attack it's region first it would have been satisfied. As it stands two years in Macedonia declared war within twelve months of the agreement, because of one false move that was not even confirmed to be anything other than a misunderstanding. You can justify it all you want, but I see no cause for war nor reason to break the agreement. You still benefit from an ally on your border and one willing to deal with the dardarni which benefits you. A harsh word about lack of assistance and a tribute of gold could have settled the matter well in your favour. Meanwhile Epirus is the loser here either way because it does not get it's province. Indeed Epirus could just as easily be aggrieved by you moving too soon without notifying it and grabbing the territory you agreed to hand over to it (we're only two turns in!). Instead you want war. Myself I am starting to suspect that Macedonia was keen for allies while it was uncertain of the intention of the other diadochi, now however it sees no reason to avoid taking Epirus' lands.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

I did mention Epirus is squeezed between a lot of great powers...

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”