Mercenaries: Keep Fielded or Can??

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Mercenaries: Keep Fielded or Can??

Post by Blathergut » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:48 pm

Trying Rhodus. Am about 15 turns in. I've managed to nab both sections of Crete and now have the famed Cretan Archers (well, a whopping 3 of them)! I had disbanded my regular infantry a few turns earlier because my manpower was crashing. And got rid of original skirmishers as well. My army consists of 8 mercenaries plus the Cretans. (Such a world dominating force!)

So I was wondering, if I plan to spend a chunk of turns building my newly-formed province, do I sack the mercenaries who are sucking out 20 gold each a turn? Or do I keep them and bite the proverbial coinage bullet so that I have a force (and one that is 'experiencing up') in case of trouble?

Wondered what others have done in similar situations.

loki100
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Mercenaries: Keep Fielded or Can??

Post by loki100 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:05 pm

I regard mercenaries as for war only, so I sack them once I don't need them. If by some chance they got to 3/4 experience levels I might reprieve them, but any that are just standard units let them go.

The exception here is Carthage, but even then i'll cull the ranks if I am in a period of peace, but there I keep permanent mercenary units in my armies.

Geffalrus
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Geffalrus » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:49 pm

Depends on what your weakest income stream is. If you are swimming in gold, but your manpower is poor, then keep your mercenaries in the field, and disband your normal units. If the reverse is true, then definitely don't keep the expensive mercs around.

The third thing to look at is equipment. If you have trouble gathering a lot of equipment, you might better off not disbanding anyone, regardless of manpower and gold. The equipment income in your regions can be quite the bottleneck for raising new armies in a short space of time.

All of this will change over time, so no one approach fits every situation.

vakarr
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by vakarr » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:05 pm

Also check the siege ability - the mercenary infantry have siege ability but heavy infantry (other than Romans and some provincial types) don't have the siege ability. I had to buy some mercs when I laid siege to Rhodes and suddenly discovered how many siege troops (ie medium infantry mainly) were needed. My mercs went to 3/4 stars and I kept them for ages but finally got rid of them all as they cost more money than is necessary.

Southern Hunter
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Southern Hunter » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:41 am

Playing as Rhodos I kept them because:

- They were experienced, and my other troops are not
- Money becomes a strength, and the limits are set by manpower and metal. Rhodes ends up being very rich (if you get the trading right).

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:01 am

A disbanded mercenary will give birth (through a process best not described, but think of Orcs in Isengard) to new baby mercenaries in the future!

i.e disband, amass, recruit en masse (and even more than before)
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”