Syracuse - advice needed

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Demetrios_of_Messene
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Syracuse - advice needed

Post by Demetrios_of_Messene » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:59 pm

So after trying out the game with Macedonia at balanced difficulty and Sparta at Experienced, I got quite confident and decided to play with Syracuse at Insane.

I managed to get the whole Sicily province from Carthage after the initial war and I was hoping for the Romans to delay their seemingly inevitable attack on me so that I could expand my powerbase in Greece. The Romans had other plans so now I am facing waves of Roman army stacks.

Disloyalty is rampant and I am a decadent city state for a long time, but these are things I can live with and more or less expected at higher difficulty setting. My manpower keeps getting depleted (I bought some once a decision was a available otherwise I would be losing units by now), I have no navy and a small mercenary force as allowed by my financial situation.

I have only been able to survive because of playing out battles in FoG:2. The tide is turning though due to Rome's "endless" stacks, not to mention that I got fed up with being outclassed in all medium and heavy infantry units both in quantity and quality (and both in FoG:E and FoG:2). The fact that my main general (and most subgenerals in FoG:2) consistently die after each battle (4-5 times in a row) even on the rare occasion of auto-resolving easy battles does not help.

My main concern is available units. Does Syracuse get any better units or the starting roster is pretty much it? I do not think I have the stamina of playing more battles in FoG:2 under such odds (and I do not seem to have a chance when it comes to FoG:E battles - maybe I am missing out something?)

If anyone else have played with them, maybe you can share some additional advice.

Asty
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Syracuse - advice needed

Post by Asty » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:32 pm

I don’t think Syracuse should be able to survive a sustained Roman assault and am glad to see you’re not finding it easy !

:lol:

loki100
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by loki100 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:21 pm

Just looking at AI games (ie where Syracuse, Rome and Carthage are all AI and the player is located far away), I'd say that Syracuse survives only about 25% of games, which I think gives you some feel for how hard it is. There was a reported test in the beta where the player managed to fend off the initial onslaught by Carthage by clinging to Syracuse itself.

but I think this is one of the hardest starts in the game - in that if one of the others really go for you I'm not too sure what can be done.

Demetrios_of_Messene
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Demetrios_of_Messene » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:25 pm

Thank you for the replies, despite just telling me to suck it :)

I came across a let's play video by Das Tactic using Syracuse (in lower difficulty setting most probably) and I saw him facing similar challenges with his army, so I guess it is what it is.

My main gripe though remains the lack of any effective unit types by Syracuse. I do not see any reason gameplay or historical wise that all their available units should be sub-par compared to contemporary Carthaginian and Roman units (and Hellenistic and "barbarian" warbands for that matter).

Oh well, I will just move on to an Epirus campaign to accomplish Pyrrhus dreams :twisted:

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”